Term of service.

S

Sotiris

Sir,

The minimum term of service is three years if I am correct. When does this countdown start for an Officer? When he has earned his beret or when he has finished the entire course?

On what conditions does a 2nd Lieutenant earn promotion and how soon is it possible?

Thank you for your time.

D

DevonCadet

Taken from the official RM Website:

"If you join as a Royal Marines Officer, you will initially join on an eight-year short commission and you may be able to serve until you are 55. You must serve for at least three years from the completion of your phase two training."

Details about the training/timings (Phase 1 and 2) are on the website.

Reaction score
Sir,

The minimum term of service is three years if I am correct. When does this countdown start for an Officer? When he has earned his beret or when he has finished the entire course?

On what conditions does a 2nd Lieutenant earn promotion and how soon is it possible?

Thank you for your time.

3yrs from the end of phase 2. Phase 2 ends 8 months after you leave Lympstone and are promoted to Captain. You are promoted to Captain if you successfully pass Phase 2 (usually 2yrs from the day you walk into Lympstone).

Reaction score
It is when you actually take command of Marines and are appointed as a Troop Commander in a Unit. You are still under training because you are being guided by both your Troop Sergeant and Company Commander but you are in the job and fully responsible for the running of the Troop. It is really there to assess whether or not you can command marines, if you can't, you'll be fired. Rare, but it does happen from time to time.

lewdog29

Reaction score
By fired do you mean discharged or do you just get transferred to a job with less responsibility within the forces.

Reaction score
If they think you can be worked with, they'll keep you on but with a special report every month. If you are a knobber and incompetent, you're fired and out of the Corps for good.

lewdog29

Reaction score
Haha I hope I'm not a knobber!! Thats alot of money down the drain. I suppose as you say it's rare, I'm sure the chaps that are not "suited" to the job would usually be weeded out by the training staff in phase one.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Is that 40% wastage with Officers as well? That would be quite harsh though, failing fired in Phase 2. Though I find it hard to believe with all of the test and training you do to get there.

By the way, is the Company Commander a Captain who is above you (as a Lieutenant).

Reaction score
In my batch, 61 joined and 34 passed out. Historically that's about average. Despite the selection process many people join for the wrong reasons and many just aren't up to it. Failing phase 2 is never something to be concerned about though.
A Company Commander is a Major, Troop Commander's are initially 2Lts and then promoted to Lts or Capts depending upon age (see the website for more info). A Lt Col is in charge of the Unit.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
So generally 2Lts, Lts and Captains will have the same responsibilities as troop commanders, just different levels of experience?

And by the way, does full seniority from a degree (3.5 years) mean you will move straight up to Lt rather than 2Lt after or during training?

Reaction score
Yes, that's right. A Troop Commander can be anything from a 2Lt to a Capt.
You will start day one of training as a 2Lt, if you have a degree or are older than 21 when you start training, you will go straight to Capt 2yrs later on completion of phase 2.

S

Sotiris

So if you fail phase two you're out of the corps? Can't become a general purpose Marine?

Reaction score
No, you are out of the Corps. You may be able to join the Army but I'm not sure. It really isn't something to worry about though.