Test run?

Mat

Reaction score
ive been thinking recently about trying out a two hour continuous run to test my endurance, currently im running a few times during the week short sessions covering the miles pretty quickly then at the weekend I spend an hour each day in the morning running at a slower pace mixing it up a bit so im almost interval training as I go. I was wondering if giving a long distance run like this a go would be a good idea and of benefit to my training. Distance wise at a slow pace it would probably work out to around 15 miles.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
After my third 6 mile run my times were pretty good and my dad suggested I ran a half marathon, so my mum dropped me and my dad 13 miles up the road and we ran back at our own pace. Running distances are really quite easy as long as you conserve energy and pace yourself instead of going for an immediate personal best. If you do the first 3 miles like you'd do a 3 mile run then you're going to tire out easily.

So I'd say it was a good idea, just pace yourself and conserve energy, maybe take a proper sports energy drink (not lucozade as it's full of sugar and your mouth will shrivvle up) and some water.

Mat

Reaction score
yeah I was thinking of getting a drink to take with me, any ideas on a good one? ive never really considered them, back at uni they used to give us a cup of something (think it was called viper) at half time during the rugby but thats the only sports drink ive ever had.
But anyway good advice, I wont be going for a personal best or anything at most my aim is purely time related so I want to keep going at whatever level I can manage for the time im aiming to stay out there running and if that means I slow to snails pace then that will have to do for now.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Haha yeah Viper is brilliant it's by a company called Maximuscle, I used this when I kayaked across the channel (and back) for charity and when you're starting to flag and get the 'why am I doing this again' thoughts you can take a mouthful of Viper and give it 10 mins to kick in and suddenly you'll feel yourself loosen up and you'll find it easier to focus again.. It can also be used as a recovery only drink so if you know that you can push yourself for the distance but you know at the end you'll be knackered then Viper will help you recover alot faster.