test!

margetts

Reaction score
wat percentage have you got to get to pass on the psychometric test im brikin it *text deleted* im crap with numbers! *text deleted* well the loest pos any way

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Its 50% for marines apparently, I passed mine on Monday, only 3 out of 15 passed so I suggest you read through the practice book they give you and focus on the questions you find difficult, The test has 4 sections with 30 questions in each and you've got to finish each section in 9 mins, but one of the sections (I think its the numeracy one) they give your more time, like 14 mins. Good luck mate, I'm sure you'll do fine.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Maxpain-were those 15 Royal Marine or Royal Navy candidates? Did u all do the test at the same time and in the same room?

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
All candidates do the same test in the same room RN+RM

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I'm also crap with number mate, i took my test in February and failed. I studied the example booklet they gave me and i got 100% on it but still failed the real thing. I would scrub up on learning your numbers.
Unless of course they failed me as they didn't believe i was marine material. Ether way i'm going back in august to do it again and if i fail then i will go back in another 6 months. i don't give up easily :)

margetts

Reaction score
hoora!

good answer marco sounds like me *text deleted*.
you must never give up on you'r dreams init?
:rock:

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Revise basic maths such as long multiplication, division(wasn't much division in mine which was a shame!), addition and subtraction and you shouldn't go far wrong. Simple algebra such as 2X + 10 = 20, X = ? and percentages like 40% of 60.

I found http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/ to be quite helpful.

GOODLUCK

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
wat percentage have you got to get to pass on the psychometric test im brikin it *text deleted* im crap with numbers! *text deleted* well the loest pos any way
VERY IMPORTANT.....

Make sure you wear a watch!!
If you dont wear one you wont be able to time each section and the first nine minutes screams past. (If you get to 8 1/2 mins, and still have ten questions left, then just guess them!!)

Also I would strongly advise you use the blank sheet for the maths and just dont panic, take it nice and cool (but dont agonise over something you dont know for six mins!!)

Something to do with maths, which you can practise now is ROUNDING up numbers IE: (92 x 15)= ?

You can either say 10 x 92 = 920 then 5 x 92 = 460 (half of 920)... so (920 + 460 = 1380)....This you can do in your head! (or on your fingers)
ALL WE DID WAS ROUND UP THE NUMBERS...Read the sum again if you didnt get it, and dont just think """oh that sounds confusing"""!

There are many ways to do this sum but another is (100 x 15 = 1500) easy yes? Then you need to take away the 8 x 15 (because the sum is 92 x 15 not 100 x 15) You can also ROUND this number up so 10 x 15 =150 (- 30) =120.. Now all you need to do is take 120 from 1500 (1380).. SIMPLE

Sounds a bit confusing but really it isnt and it stops you getting bogged down, trying to write ninety two (15 times) (which is what you want to do when you panic!!)*text deleted*

Get good at rounding numbers before you go *text deleted* and taking off the excess!
It's easier to count 10 x 7 then 8 x 7 Do you agree??? so count 10 x 7 then take off 14.....piece of pistachio!

Another lesson is, If I buy a magazine from your shop at £3.27, and give you a fiver, what change will I get?? (dont let panic set in rather, take a breath)
Then do the following:
£3.27 needs to be made into a fiver......well, (3pence makes the price £3.30, then 70 pence makes £4.00, then £1.00 makes £5.00) so 3p + 70p + £1.00 (or £1.73 change)

None of us are born with the knowlege of maths, and we all need to learn stratergies as with anything... Ask people you know how they do addition , subtraction and multiplication... You'd be surprised at who in your family was great at maths at school twenty years ago...How do you know you are'nt great at maths and have just not been fooling yourself all this time????
....Never sell yourself short as you are NOT bad at maths, you only think you are! (Its a state of mind) *text deleted*

Hope I've helped and good luck with your test buddy!

Here is a link to practice AREAS and PERIMETERS (Very likely to be on your psychometric test)... Try and do these tests gents.......

www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/book7/bk7i9/bk7_9i3.htm

WrapJuice

Reaction score
good answer marco sounds like me *text deleted*.
you must never give up on you'r dreams init?
:rock:
Absolutely mate! But like the other guys have been saying refresh your self on some of the basics.

When is your test? and what recruitment office is it?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'm also crap with number mate, i took my test in February and failed. I studied the example booklet they gave me and i got 100% on it but still failed the real thing. I would scrub up on learning your numbers.
Unless of course they failed me as they didn't believe i was marine material. Ether way i'm going back in august to do it again and if i fail then i will go back in another 6 months. i don't give up easily :)
You may only re-sit the Recruiting Test in 6 months of the original test if you are in full time education, have a letter off your tutor proving you are in full time further education & the RN/RM Area Recruiting Manager gives express permission. The vast majority of people re-taking the Recruiting Test do so after 12 months have elapsed.

If you re-take in 6 months and fail again, then you may not be permitted to take it a 3rd time. If you are permitted a third re-sit, it will most certainly be at the very least, 12 months later.

Recruiting Test advice & practice tests

WrapJuice

Reaction score
I was told that i had to wait 12 months but providing i could prove that i had enrolled on a maths course i could reset in 6 months... this is what i have done.