The anwers to life, the universe and everything.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
It's obvious from some of the posts on this site, that many people use it as their first port of call in the process of becoming a RM and dive in with questions that have been asked dozens of times before.

I don't see this as a bad thing, as it connects them immediately with like-minded people, who can pass on what they've learned, thus consolidating their own knowledge. NB. I don't wish to dissuade anybody from asking anything.

I consider that the RM state of mind has to be practised, just as the fitness side has to be practised.

When I wanted to know what speeds were required for runs, I worked it out. When I wanted to know the answers to the knowledge questions that might be asked at interview, I went to the sticky thread that gave examples and then used this site, the official RM site and the interweb in general, to find each answer in turn.

Now, I'm not trying to point out what a wonderful human being I am. Rather I'm trying to point out some ways you can practise your state of mind.

At some point you are going to be expected to think for yourselves.

If, instead of asking for the running speeds, you asked how to work out the running speeds, you are practising methods of being a 'thinking soldier'.

On the 'knowledge'.

I think it may be necessary for potential officers to have a precise, in-depth knowledge of the corps and it's history. It shows that they're using their mind in the way they'll be required to use it in service. Dates and strategies will be of import.

I don't believe that such an in-depth knowledge is required for potential other ranks. Rather, there is a requirement to demonstrate an interest in the corps and it's history and have a general idea of significant events.
It's probably enough to know that Hanna Snell was a woman who served in the Marines without anyone finding out, even when she was wounded, rather than knowing specific dates and ships that she served on.

My overall point here, is that, firstly, virtually all the information you need is already available, posted in a myriad of threads. Sometimes, you could start practising state of mind by doing some research, or by asking 'how do I find the answer', rather than 'what is the answer'.

A discussion about what the 'cockleshell heroes' achieved and how they did it, would be a much better memory aid than merely trying to memorise the answers to 'Who were the cockleshell heroes.'

Finally, I have the 30 example questions along with answers in a document that I can post, if that would be helpful.

I shall refrain from so doing until I recieve your responses, particularly from Ninja, who may or may not like the idea.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
To be fair mate, I learnt cor knowledge the first two weeks of putting in my application.

I just had to get myself in shape.....years of abusing my body has seriously taken its toll.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
To be fair mate, I learnt cor knowledge the first two weeks of putting in my application.

I just had to get myself in shape.....years of abusing my body has seriously taken its toll.

I'm sure most people manage fine, it's just that I'd spotted another thread asking for the answers and thought I'd throw in my two penn'orth. Meant to be encouraging rather than critical.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I'm sure most people manage fine, it's just that I'd spotted another thread asking for the answers and thought I'd throw in my two penn'orth. Meant to be encouraging rather than critical.

Didn't say it was critical.

S

Sotiris

Yes, please post your document, that would be extrememly helpful.

Thank you.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
As requested by Sotiris.

I've left out questions 29 & 30 as they will change on an ongoing basis.

Booker

Reaction score
So basically now people on the site will not have to do anything but to revise this. Not saying it is a bad thing but it takes away the meaning (I would assume) of having the exercise, which to me would be for the potential recruits to research the data themselves, rather than have it spoon fed to them.

My two cent.

Megalomaniac

Reaction score
Tell me if I'm wrong

Good job backs up most of the research I have done. However I thought the Royal navy assault ships were HMS Albion, Bulwark and Ocean???? I think Fearless has been removed from service. Also I thought the Royal marines personal weapon was the SA80 A2 5.56, is that the same as L85A2 IW - 5.56 X 45 MM?????

I don't want to get any questions wrong :worried:

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
SA80A2 5.56mm is fine mate. IW just stands for Individual Weapon.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The anwers to life, the universe and everything... 42?

(Sorry couldn't resist it)

----------------

Good post with a nice level of information on FPGRM, Walcheren and Hannah Snell although as the same questions are asked by every AFCO I think it makes it a bit easy for candidates just to copy and paste your answers.

I think it is good to do the research yourself. I remember years ago when I first completed that form I learnt a lot more from my research about the marines than just the answers to the questions.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
So basically now people on the site will not have to do anything but to revise this. Not saying it is a bad thing but it takes away the meaning (I would assume) of having the exercise, which to me would be for the potential recruits to research the data themselves, rather than have it spoon fed to them.

My two cent.

Hence my initial reticence about posting it and my preamble before doing so. I did so however, because Sotiris asked and some people are close to interview and may want the answers in one place.

If Ninja or Greywing feel I've made things too easy, it should be a simple process to delete the link to the document.

Some of the answers can be expanded on, depending on the individual's inclination and any that are contentious can be debated, thus cementing any knowledge aquired.

Most posts by Ninja and Greywing emphasise the need for developing state of mind, though not always explicitly.
Our member from 45 Commando emphasises the same.
From Sotiris' posts, it appears that he tries to exercise such self-discipline, as to always conduct himself with the correct state of mind.
I see a similar attitude, to varying degrees, throughout the site. Some people are obviously only just beginning to accept that the mind has such a massive influence on their future.

I seek to further encourage this where I feel it's appropriate.

S

Sotiris

Aye, indeed, I have already done all of this research, months ago. But it's very reassuring to go through this list and see that all my answers are correct. Especially considering the proximity of my SIFT interview.

So once again, thanks a lot Old Man for your time and effort.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score

----------------

Good post with a nice level of information on FPGRM, Walcheren and Hannah Snell although as the same questions are asked by every AFCO I think it makes it a bit easy for candidates just to copy and paste your answers.

I think it is good to do the research yourself. I remember years ago when I first completed that form I learnt a lot more from my research about the marines than just the answers to the questions.

42 indeed. Glad someone's paying attention.

Re answers - Though I'd read the RM Ethos document a few times, it took me about 3 weeks to retain the 4 elements of the Commando spirit.

Just as the questions were posted to enable people to prepare for interview, so the answers. I would not recommend quoting those answers verbatim but rather use them as an aide memoire and express them in your own words, expanded to suit the context.

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

----------------

I was going to post 42, but I thought I probably shouldn't :D