The Beret, the Badges, the nothing.

S

Sotiris

The more I read, the more it seems that the Green Beret isn't quite so significant to those that already have it. Obviously.

I only say so because when you sign on to become a Royal Marine, you do so not for the beret and not for the uniform. Or rather, that should not be the reason for your ambition. Similarly, they are not training you to look good in either.

Your sole purpose is to "close and kill with the enemy". They train you to fight and survive on the battlefield. Ultimately, whatever you call yourself, Royal Marine, Commando, Para, SAS, SBS, FFL, USMC, SEAL, etc, it's all irrelevant. All the colours, cap badges and other accessories are simply that, accessories that enable other units to identify you. Your job is still the same despite the glorious history and unit tradition that you become a part of.

Just a thought. Hopefully most of us on this site are not drooling after the beret and flash badges but rather the chance to join a very professional fighting unit.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent post, i agree with you.

However i think that most people do realise that the green beret is a merely symbol that encapsulates the history of the Royal Marines and what is needed to become apart of it.

Does anyone have a different perspective on this topic? Could be a rather interesting discussion.

panzergrenadier

Reaction score
the chance to join a very professional fighting unit.

Well that's what the green beret is, a symbol of an elite fighting unit. It's not like anyone thinks of the green beret as a dolce and gabanna beret. It's what it represents.

Reaction score
I think you are right to an extent. There are certainly groups of people who join so that they can impress their mates and girls in bars.... training gets rid of them though. Once they have been freezing cold lying on sentry in Dartmoor, they realise that there are easier ways of impressing their mates and they wrap (give up).

JDMSAM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its a symbol that your one of the best soliders in the world and part of a brotherhood of an elite few who make it through training. The green lid isnt special its the message it conveys and respect that you have earnt. If you were doing training to impress your mates or girls just buy a GB off ebay

S

Sotiris

Aye, correct.

However, it would be an interesting thing to see how many people would still apply for the Corps if you took away the beret, the badge and the prestige. I predict that the numbers would be far far smaller.

In fact, that could be a very good thing indeed. It would save the Corps millions on the training of recruits who dream of the glory and respect they get from simply wearing the uniform.

As RMRO has stated, the training does eventually do just that. But how many people start the course disillusioned and for the wrong reasons? How much money and time could be saved and funnelled back into the Corp?

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The beret means being part of the family thats why honarary ones are awarded to people like jimmy saville, who has done so much for the corps they wanted to make him part of the family.
Also the beret stands for everything the corps means and what the recruit has gone through to achieve this.
If you took away the beret the uniform would represent what the corps means, even if you made them wear rags the rags would be symbolic with the royal marines. Hope that made sense

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
the mere fact that they had no beret or badges would become symbolic

mike webb

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i agree! the beret isnt really important in itself ... it is a symbol of something. it shows an achievement. it could quite easily be replaced with something else. somethings in life cant be explained in mathmatical terms, somethings are more than that, and a RM is such an example. how do you explain the determination and the commitment a man has shown? you create the green beret to reflect to the population that this man isnt your normal. hes something more.

everyone here wants to get it, but only in as much as it allows them to do the job they want the most. its a right of passage. however at the same time.. like the best things in life.. its a tradition.. a heritage.. something that should be cherished.

mike

S

Sotiris

Ah, but you're slightly off the point.

I'm not disputing the symbolism of the beret. It's far simpler then that. How many glory seekers are out there wasting time and money because they want to be a part of that. What other people think of the Corps isn't important. What insignia you wear notifying others of what you've accomplished isn't important. The job you do is.

To try and clear it up; how many people would still apply to the RMC if they were told once they joined they'd cease to exist to everyone outside of the circle? A kind of Men In Black scenario but the best way I can put it forward.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
well, PART of the reason im joining is the fact that i will become part of the best and the fact that while alot of my friends waste away their lives i will be able to say " im a royal marines commando".
I dont think that its a bad thing to enjoy the fact that other people will respect you alot more
Well i dont know if that made any sense but yeah

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
pretty much i am going to enjoy telling my friends that im a commando but it is nowhere near the main reason im joining

panzergrenadier

Reaction score
Ah, but you're slightly off the point.

I'm not disputing the symbolism of the beret. It's far simpler then that. How many glory seekers are out there wasting time and money because they want to be a part of that. What other people think of the Corps isn't important. What insignia you wear notifying others of what you've accomplished isn't important. The job you do is.

ah, sorry now I understand what you're trying to say. Obviously there is a lot to be proud of when you join the RMC, and while I don't consider myself a very pretentious person, i'd love to have the respect and confidence that comes with being a Royal Marine.

More than anything however i'm doing this for myself. What other career choice can you choose that has the countless perks of being a Royal Marine aside from how other people view you?

To try and clear it up; how many people would still apply to the RMC if they were told once they joined they'd cease to exist to everyone outside of the circle? A kind of Men In Black scenario but the best way I can put it forward.

Well that's an easy question. Of course I would. Just look at Special Forces, do you think not being able to brag about being in the SAS/SBS down the pub ever entered their minds when going through the selection process?

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I agree i think the intake would be far smaller, as i expect a lot of recruits do not know exactly what is involved in becoming a Royal Marine and are simply "Glory Hunters". However there is also the flip side that you may actually gain people as whilst they are training they begin to want more than the glory but something else.
The Marines for me is something i dearly want to join for the fact that it is special, there is just something about it that i want to be a part of, a sense of belonging and that is what the Green Beret stands for.

Rover

Royal Marines Commando. Crossed the Bar 13/04/2021
Reaction score
Hello Sotiris,

[QUOTEThe more I read, the more it seems that the Green Beret isn't quite so significant to those that already have it. Obviously.

][/QUOTE]

An interesting statement.

May I suggest a visit to the 'Once a Marine' web site.

Rover

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think the a unit needs symbols to identify it, otherwise you might be joining any other standard Army Regiment, albeit one that's done the commando course. But you are of course right, plenty of people join for the wrong reasons.

I would say more than half the people on this site would be joining for the wrong reasons, though they probably wouldn't admit it. It has been noted on sub concious levels as a need to full fill their own feelings of pride and machismo. The advertising by the MOD is certainly geared that way anyway...

I would disagree though and say there are some people who join to impress their mates and can still make it through training, though hopefully they can get filtered out. I expect you get this less with older recruits perhaps...

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
well like i said i am joining because its what ive always wanted to do but im probably *text deleted* enjoy the fact that i can tell my mates im a commando but god forbid anyone who joins just to impress thier friends