"the best military force in the world"

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
this is a pretty random thread that just generally says what i been hearing.

but dont you find it funny how many military forces have been called "the best in the world"

list of the ones i've heard being called this:

Royal Marines Commando's
Paras
SAS
SBS
+ loads of different army regiments (sorry bad spelling)
Navy Seals
Green Berets
Mountain Rangers (i think thats their name, its american)
GSG9

all these are apparently (individually) "The best military Force/Unit in the world"
plus you never hear any military forces being slagged down. ok in all fairness the job they do is difficult and the hardest job in the world in my opinion.
But in all fairness i swear whenever there is a documentary or a book written on any military force in the world they are apparently "The best"

anyone else see a slight problem with this? *text deleted*

you guys heard of any others?

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, It's a stupid question really, I mean If you asked the special air service to attach mines to a submarine or something of that nature they wouldn't be that good, vis versa with the special boat service. The most retarded statement I heard was something like "the army is better than the raf". They all do different jobs and are good at them.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Doesn't really bother me as much as it seems to have you.

Everyone, and every organisation always say they are the best. Take all the adverts for Insurence comparison websites, "THE best comparison website" they all say it and they always will.

Every regiment or Unit in the Army will always say they are the best. Atheletes say they are the best, etc etc

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
aint really bothered me.. its just something just realised after reading a book. *text deleted*

M

MTW

who cares, even the raf regiment think they are the best....so does every army regiment....
even tho im biased, i think everyone really knows marines are the dons. even tho they wouldnt probably admit it. appart from the SF obviously but they arnt really a "fighting force" like the marines and army etc.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
well I think the Royal Marines are the best in the world and that's why I want to join , If I thought the paras were then I'd join the paras.

I personaly want to be a part of the best.

British troops are the best without a doubt. (Not just saying taht because I'm British)

I can;t join the SAS/SBS without training and I can't join the Navy Seals for obvious reasons. The FFL are awesome but they're too expendable to be called the best I think.

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well the Royal Marines have the toughest and longest basic infantry course in the world and thats a fact.

M

MTW

well I think the Royal Marines are the best in the world and that's why I want to join , If I thought the paras were then I'd join the paras.

I personaly want to be a part of the best.

British troops are the best without a doubt. (Not just saying taht because I'm British)

I can;t join the SAS/SBS without training and I can't join the Navy Seals for obvious reasons. The FFL are awesome but they're too expendable to be called the best I think.

i dont think they special forces are expendable.....but i think due to the way they work and their tactics and numbers they cant be compared to a traditional fighting force, but obviously they are the best soldiers.

MrBannister

Reaction score
who cares, even the raf regiment think they are the best....

Just out of intrest mate, not that im a RAF Regiment lover, but what makes you say that? Why do they even consider themself as within the "special 3"

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i dont think they special forces are expendable.....but i think due to the way they work and their tactics and numbers they cant be compared to a traditional fighting force, but obviously they are the best soldiers.

I'm not talking about all special forces, I'm talking about the FFL imparticular.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
t

ah right sorry bud my mistake!

No worries, I read a book about a guy from Newcastle who wsa in the FFL for 5 years, It sounded awesome apart from the fact I'm pretty sure he didnt have any sex the whole time he was there.

M

MTW

Just out of intrest mate, not that im a RAF Regiment lover, but what makes you say that? Why do they even consider themself as within the "special 3"

well they seem to be the joke of the armed forces sort of....apparently the TA are respected more than them....just because they dont really do much appart from guard airfeilds, but the main reason apparently is because most of them think they some kind of elite regiment...when they are on ops they do allot of hanging around the naffi in pimped out WMIKS and fancy sunglasses, and when they do patrols they wear loads of gucci pouches and striped down webbing (sas style) etc etc, millions of threads about their antics on arrse and rumration. so from reading alot of them ive kind of got the hint they are a bit of a joke.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
This is a fairly typical topic to arouse various extreme views.

Sooner or later a Para, a Rock Ape or Navy Seal will join the melee and expound the virtues of their respective organisations.

The key, to my mind is that every organisation, as stated, is very good at what they do, the Royal Marines adopt the principle of using humility. They don't shout about how good they are, they let others judge by their actions.

The Gloucester Regiment, to name but one of many, seldom gets a mention as one of the elite Army Regiments and yet they earned 6 VC's "before breakfast" in 1955.

No military organisation has adopted the motto: "Who Cares Who Wins, we're crap anyway" to he best of my knowledge, so a definitive answer as to who's best can never be given. However, what is a fairly good yardstick of how well the British Armed Forces are regarded internationally is by virtue of the fact that we have trained most foreign Armed Forces over the last century and are often copied, so we must be doing something right.

M

MTW

oh and if i didnt make it clear! thats not my own opinion of the rock apes! just the general view of them by the population of arrse!

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
This is a fairly typical topic to arouse various extreme views.

Sooner or later a Para, a Rock Ape or Navy Seal will join the melee and expound the virtues of their respective organisations.

The key, to my mind is that every organisation, as stated, is very good at what they do, the Royal Marines adopt the principle of using humility. They don't shout about how good they are, they let others judge by their actions.

The Gloucester Regiment, to name but one of many, seldom gets a mention as one of the elite Army Regiments and yet they earned 6 VC's "before breakfast" in 1955.

No military organisation has adopted the motto: "Who Cares Who Wins, we're crap anyway" to he best of my knowledge, so a definitive answer as to who's best can never be given. However, what is a fairly good yardstick of how well the British Armed Forces are regarded internationally is by virtue of the fact that we have trained most foreign Armed Forces over the last century and are often copied, so we must be doing something right.

I'ver never bashed anyone ever and everyone can check all my posts no worries (most of them are probably pictures of weird things) I personally think the Royal Marines are the best and most people I know when they talk about the best or the most hardcore will talk about the marines.

Obvisouly the SAS/SBS are but you have to have been in the forces a few years to apply.

Anyway as none special forces I will always class the Royal Marines as the best, no matter what. Even if I can't join for whatever reasons and have to serve else where. Me personally I will always class theRoyal Marines as number 1. I'm honestly not saying this just because I want to join but purely for the fact that I really think they are and everyone I know does. They're just a step aove everyone else in my opinion.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
... I will always class the Royal Marines as the best, no matter what.

A subjective opinion, doubtless disputed by a few of those serving who are not Royal Marines, but not many.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
oh and if i didnt make it clear! thats not my own opinion of the rock apes! just the general view of them by the population of arrse!

*text deleted* love them arrseholes. The thread on RumRation about the RAF regiment was the best, pure trolling but everyone fell for it haha.

Subjective and personal matter of opinion on who's best, as all forces have had operations that have gone without a hitch, and ones where theres been terrible failures. Obviously when most people compare they use examples such as X force did Y operation and kill Z people! etc.
I look at the training difficulty more than anything, and if I can get through Royal Marine training (frankly the hardest for any "normal" infantry in the world), then I've accomplished something and on the road to being the best I can be personally. Regardless of who people then think is the best, I know we will be:blink1:

Gazza_7

Reaction score
small_soldiers.jpg

Best military force in the world without a doubt :applaus:

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
small_soldiers.jpg

Best military force in the world without a doubt :applaus:

but didn't they get destroyed by a bunch of aliens?
these guys are fearless mo fo's though *text deleted*