The best War Film

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've only seen a few war films before and the one I can say I enjoyed watching the most is 'Platoon'

Platoon isn't filled with too much action but it's set back in the Vietnam war and shows another picture to what war back in Vietnam was like. It showed the struggles and showed how the enemy was within themselves.

I've also watched Black Hawk Down which is a great film with a lot of action and a good story line too. Also watched Pearl Harbor and that's it really. Think I've seen parts of other war films but I can honestly say, if you've not seen Platoon yet I'd advise you to do so.

Don't search for clips of it on youtube, just buy it from HMV only £5 well worth it!

Snihur84

Reaction score
I've only seen a few war films before and the one I can say I enjoyed watching the most is 'Platoon'

Platoon isn't filled with too much action but it's set back in the Vietnam war and shows another picture to what war back in Vietnam was like. It showed the struggles and showed how the enemy was within themselves.

I've also watched Black Hawk Down which is a great film with a lot of action and a good story line too. Also watched Pearl Harbor and that's it really. Think I've seen parts of other war films but I can honestly say, if you've not seen Platoon yet I'd advise you to do so.

Don't search for clips of it on youtube, just buy it from HMV only £5 well worth it!
Other good war films include...

Enermy at the gates
Saving pvt ryan
And my fav, Three kings

Have u seen any of these? If not definitely check them out!

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Other good war films include...

Enermy at the gates
Saving pvt ryan
And my fav, Three kings

Have u seen any of these? If not definitely check them out!

I think I've seen the first 10 minutes or so of Three Kings, the only part I remember is an Iraqi surrendering and the American Troop just thinking fu'ck it, and killed him.

Heard about Saving Pvt Ryan, suppose to be one of the best war films ever apparently. Never heard of Enemy at the gates.

There are many war films out there though, some are cheesy some are not.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
band of brothers and saving private ryan..........they bring a tear to my eye....................i cant watch the bit where the american gets stabbed really slowley

Snihur84

Reaction score
I think I've seen the first 10 minutes or so of Three Kings, the only part I remember is an Iraqi surrendering and the American Troop just thinking fu'ck it, and killed him.

Heard about Saving Pvt Ryan, suppose to be one of the best war films ever apparently. Never heard of Enemy at the gates.

There are many war films out there though, some are cheesy some are not.
Saving pvt ryan is a must to watch, three kings is just a good allrounder and Enermy at the gates is about two snipers (one russian one german) i think *text deleted* both after each other its jude law and ed harris!

Like u said some are good some are a poor effort!

Platoon is a great film! Have u seen full metal jacket?

C

critchmufc

ive seen all the films your both on about ( apart from full metal jacket ), and they all have one thing in common, there all good

but my fav in best first order

1.Saving Pvt Ryan
2.Pearl Harbour
3.Black Hawk Down
3.Platoon

Saving Pvt Ryan is by far the best war film ever made in my opinion, its the most realistic, and shows that in war, even the main characters die, because if i remember only 3 men out of about 30 survive the onslaught at the end.
(sorry if ive ruined it).....(but really, you should already of seen it!)

PoyserRM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i like jarhead *text deleted* n a day in iraq, windtalkers n black hawk down

Snihur84

Reaction score
True everyone should have seen Saving pvt ryan and im sure people will still go out and buy/watch it even if u have ruined it! (just kidding)

Definitely recommend it!

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Might just have to go on play.com to see what films they got :laugh:

I think Platoon is deffo one of the best war films out there though. Even though I've only seen a few war films, I can't see many being better than Platoon!

jcooke

Reaction score
My top 10 that come to mind in no particualr order are:

1.Kellys heroes (Comedy but really good)
2.Where eagles Dare
3.Stripes (Comedy, cold war based)
4.Band of Brothers (not technichally a film but putting it in anyway)
5.Full metal Jacket
6.A bridge too far
7.Bridge over the river Kwai
8.Platoon (already mentioned but is a really good film)
9.Dr Strange Love - Or How I forgot to hate and started loving the bomb (Comedy and actual full title may vary slightly but just type in DR Stragnelove to find it)
10.Downfall (Probably one of the best on hte list, but have to put up with the English subtitles whcih never really bothers me)

jcooke

Reaction score
also just remembered blacck hawk down is really good, and I know has already been posted

mr.sniper

Reaction score
Must be we were soldiers by far!! defnitly one of my favourites, followed by black hawk down...

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Deer Hunter,
it might be very long,
but it shows how war effects some people.

Oh and Apocalypse Now,
not exactly about the war in Vietnam,
but a great film.

encn

Reaction score
In my opinion:

Good war films
1) we were soldiers - highly under-rated, Great film.
2) Saving Private Ryan (obviously)
3) Black Hawk down (obviously)
4) 3 Kings
5) Tears of the Sun - little known film with Bruce Willis, actually very good, well made, thought provoking film (not quite war as such, but very good)

Rules of engagment, enermy at the gate, Platoon, etc are also worth watching.

Biggest war turkeys ever:
1) Pearl harbour - Truely appalling, good topic just really badly acted - See Team America's 'Pearl Harbour sucked' song.
2) U571 or whatever it's called when hollywood claim a british mission was actually carried out by a bunch of yanks!

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
5) Tears of the Sun - little known film with Bruce Willis, actually very good, well made, thought provoking film (not quite war as such, but very good)

Yeah Tears of the Sun is an ace film.

Brotherhood (Taegukgi) - basically South Korea's answer to Saving Private Ryan,
another brilliant film.

And,
although not a film,
Band of Brothers.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Zulu!

Colour Sergeant Bourne: It's a miracle.
Lieutenant John Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 calibre miracle.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I *text deleted* say, tears of the sun was awesome, but the way the woman's make up stayed perfect throughout a few days in the jungle, on the run? not a high point.
Oh, and Enemy at the gates is a must see film. No doubt. Sacrifice, skill, and emotion.

Gazkane

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Full Metal Jackets mine, closely followed by Saving Private Ryan. I also thought Jarhead was a cracking film.

Another good war film nobodys mentioned is the awesome Bravo Two Zero

Rover

Royal Marines Commando. Crossed the Bar 13/04/2021
Reaction score
A site for "Potential Royal Marines" yet no mention of;

The Cockleshell Heroes!

Rover