The Boring Bit- Form filling advice

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'll try to keep it short, but this is the bit that will delay or stop your application for RM & RMR if you don't get it right.

Spend a few moments reading this & you can save weeks of unnecessary delay.

Forms & how to get it right first time.

1. Application Form Guidance Booklet (Tri-Service AFCO Form 5). This tells you all about the MOD policy on Drugs, tattoos & lists all medical conditions which are a bar to entry.

2. Application Form (Tri- service AFCO Form 4). This is used as the basis of your interview, make sure you complete ALL sections, in particular: Full postal address, home phone, mobile phone & email address- notify the AFCO of any changes, Full postal details & names of two nominated Referees. We DO write to them, together with requesting a reference from your last educational establishment, if you left within the previous 3 years. Passport, NI number & NHS number MUST be completed. But BEFORE you pick up that BLACK pen, you must read the guidance booklet first (above).

3. Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Tri-Service MOD form 493). You must declare all unspent convictions on this form, sign it & date it. If your circumstances change - you must notify your Careers Adviser immediately.

4. Security Questionnaire (Tri-Service MOD Form 1109). This is the form, more than any other, that trips everyone up & can seriously delay your application- 21 pages long, but you start on question 3 & finish with your signature on page 18. BLACK INK. You must cover a FULL 5 years of previous home addresses including month/year of move-in & full post codes, for you, your parents (& step parents), continuing addresses on pages 16 & 17 if necessary. If Mum & Dad are separated & you are nut in touch with one or other you must make a signed statement on pages 16 & 17 to the effect that you are not in contact with them. If Mum & Dad have a partner, their details must be recorded on pages 16 & 17, or you must state that Mother &/or Father remain single. ALL criminal convictions, spent & unspent must be declared. You MUST sign & date pages 14 AND 18.

5. You may be sent a Financial Questionnaire if your credit reference check reveals an adverse statement- be completely honest.

6. Character/Employment Reference Form (RN Form 484) will be sent to your nominated referees. Remember to ask them first & double check they have completed & returned your references or it may hold-up your security clearance.

7. Educational Reference Form (RN Form 485) as above, but sent to your principal or head teacher at your last school, if you attended within the last 3 years.

8. Parental Consent Form (RN Form 486) if under 18, make sure Mum & Dad fill it in & return it, otherwise you cannot join until 18+

9. Optician Report Form - you will be given a letter to go for an eye test- try to get this completed & returned before your medical examination or you cannot be passed fit.

10. Pre-Joining fitness Test (PJFT) Certificate- this must be returned to your AFCO before you can be: RM- bid for PRMC or RMR-enrolled.

Link: How to Join the Royal Marines

S

Sotiris

I completed my opticians form and sent it off to the address on the envelope I was given. That was almost 3 months ago and there has been no confirmation that anyone has received it at all. Is this normall?

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I completed my opticians form and sent it off to the address on the envelope I was given. That was almost 3 months ago and there has been no confirmation that anyone has received it at all. Is this normall?

Course it is. They *text deleted* love paperwork, it gets them off. They stamp it, send to some centre in Glasgow which alone costs £2000, they 'process' it for another 3 months, send it to Cyprus, get it sent back, have it examined for illegal substances, send it to another processing which costs another £2000, get security clearance on it, then it should be back to you within 6 - 8 weeks.

chris1988

Reaction score
mate ive never sent anything off to my afco, ive always travelled to them n theyve done the rest

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

If you have completed your medical examination, then the Optician Report Form won't usually herald an acknowledgement, it merely affirms your medical suitability for service. If you haven't been sent your PJFT letter, then it's worth checking that your AFCO has received the form as it may be holding-up your application.

Course it is. They *text deleted* love paperwork, it gets them off. They stamp it, send to some centre in Glasgow which alone costs £2000, they 'process' it for another 3 months, send it to Cyprus, get it sent back, have it examined for illegal substances, send it to another processing which costs another £2000, get security clearance on it, then it should be back to you within 6 - 8 weeks.

Nonsense, we stamp it TWICE before it goes to Glasgow and it goes via Gibraltar rather than Cyprus.

Other than that, you're pretty much spot on.

ross90rmc

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
were it says spent and unspent. i got a caution, not a conviction and a fine for damaging an internal wall of my mates uni building with a door handle (falling through the door bladdered on my 18th) they said they werent going to charge me or take me to court because it wasnt that serious and the woman in the interview room said it was daft boys (slapped wrist) but a caution and a fine??is this alright??

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
A caution is given after an admission of guilt.

If you were given a spot fine by the police, you should also declare it.

Both will appear on a police national computer check & therefore must be declared on your Security questionnaire.

ross90rmc

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
oh ok. will it affect my application in anyway? does it depend on the severity and type of offence or just wether it is an offence or not?

cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
oh ok. will it affect my application in anyway? does it depend on the severity and type of offence or just wether it is an offence or not?

cheers

It very much depends on what the offence was, whether you have previous recorded offences, whether you show remorse or whether you are simply annoyed because you were caught.

ross90rmc

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i have no previous offences, i did show remorse, wrote a letter of apology and paid off the fine. i was not annoyed because i was caught as i didnt see it as me doing something deliberate. it was simply arsing around drunk on my 18th birthday, i was sorry for the damage caused and paid my dues and apologised. there is nothing more i could do than that. stupid idea, stupid mistake, got caught, admitted it, paid up apoligised. hopefully the recruiting officer will see this.

Scorpio

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i was told i might need 4 passport photos, what are these for exactly?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
i was told i might need 4 passport photos, what are these for exactly?

You will need to provide 4 colour passport photographs to your AFCO prior to attending prmc. Two get sent with your PRMC papers so as they have a mugshot of you for identification, two likewise get sent with your entry papers. They prevent fraud & are use for individual identity purposes.

Personally, I reckon we should just take a digital photo & send it to CTC by email (for data protection) so as they can use it on your ID card too.

Scorpio

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You will need to provide 4 colour passport photographs to your AFCO prior to attending prmc. Two get sent with your PRMC papers so as they have a mugshot of you for identification, two likewise get sent with your entry papers. They prevent fraud & are use for individual identity purposes.

Personally, I reckon we should just take a digital photo & send it to CTC by email (for data protection) so as they can use it on your ID card too.

yeah, someone was asking me on msn and i thought it would be much easier having a digital photo.

HopefulRM

Reaction score
Exams

i was just wondeing, what should i do because i turn 15 and 9 months on the 29th april and dont have my results of my school exams should i wait till i have the results to had in my form or what?

thanks alot
CG.

ukkpa

Reaction score
i was just wondeing, what should i do because i turn 15 and 9 months on the 29th april and dont have my results of my school exams should i wait till i have the results to had in my form or what?

thanks alot
CG.

I'd stick on what you're predicted for your exams and make sure your AFCO is aware that they're yet to be taken. They'll probably pick up on it anyway given your age, but worth checking to make sure.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The application form leaves space for predicted grades & actual grades. If you just leave the actual grades column blank, they will be aware of your circumstances by your age.