Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

The Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Caversham, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I always welcome those who successfully pass out as joining a special Club, that is the Corps. I saw this on FB on one of the RM sites and thought that it describes things a bit more in depth.

Would I wear it? No, but I do like the sentiments.

IMG_4565.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. ave!

ave! Royal Marines Commando

-vomit-

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Caversham It's more subtle than the bloke who frequents my local Co-op store wearing an SAS winged dagger t-shirt. Just in case anyone misses the reference he often also wears a gilet and a baseball cap both emblazoned with the phrase 'Special Forces'.

He's about my age and I've been tempted to politely comment when in the bread aisle that he must have had an interesting service career. But I guess that he'll probably just hiss "Sssh! I can't talk about it!" -banghead-

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  4. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

How did you get a phot of my run ashore rig?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Rover

Rover Moderator

Ah but does he wear HBM over his eyes?o_O:(

If not a definite 'walt'!!!-doctor-;)

:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. Caversham

I have the same sentiments about wearing anything Corps related. I was once invited to join the Exmouth RMA, (membership primarily former SNCO PWs and DLs), and I could then take my place at Tescos collecting funds on a monthly basis.

They told me the rig of the day was grey flannels, blazer, medals and Green Lid. They were not impressed when I told them that if I were to take up their offer my rig would be Ron Hill shorts, OG T shirt and trainers, complete with lid and negative medals!

I didn't join.

Alan

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

The sentiment fine..the top...Hate it.!!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  8. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

I saw someone in town recently wearing the CTC UIF green jumper with 'Royal Marines' and the Corps crest on the front.

To anyone thinking of doing anything similar.....just don't!

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

No, but he might have given a 'thousand yard stare' across the convenience food chiller cabinet. :)

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My sentiments entirely. Ex-Paras are the worst offenders in this respect. I've seen RBL members wearing a regimental stable belt worn around a civvy blazer! Good grief!

Ron Hill shorts or trackies. Understated quality. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    This is hazy going back to 1988 but we had a guy from I think 4 para on our shift, is that reserves? He swore by moustache , Harrington jacket and desert boots as the go to gear:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Caversham

Add Levis and long hair you have the SAS rig for working undercover .

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

There were several thriving Parachute Regiment TA (Army Reserve) units in the 1970s. Many detachments now long gone and 16 PARA, which had a TA Pathfinder role, has vanished altogether.

4 PARA: Manchester and Northern England
    10 PARA: London and South East
    15 PARA (SV): Scotland
    16 PARA: Lincolnshire and East

The standard pub rig in Aldershot comprised blue jeans, maroon t-shirt, desert boots with paracord laces and a US MA-1 flight jacket. The only civvy clothes some lads possessed from memory.

MA_1.jpg

Yep. But the look was so transparent. They might as well have worn uniform. :)

Passing through a European airport about ten years back I noticed cluster of mahoosive American blokes attempting to be inconspicuous despite them all sporting big beards, wearing Oakley sun shades, 5.11 chinos and polo shirts. Only a placard with the slogan 'Private Military Contractors' could have made them more obvious. -banghead-

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  14. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot