The China threat

flippertyre

Reaction score
This article directly mentions the Royal Marines for anyone interested.
China seems to be a rather daunting enemy if the UK were to ever engage.
To quote “In the past five years, China’s navy has grown by the equivalent tonnage as the whole Royal Navy.”
Thoughts?

Britain’s armed forces pivot east to face growing China threat
https://on.ft.com/3it4vAF

Chelonian

Reaction score
To quote “In the past five years, China’s navy has grown by the equivalent tonnage as the whole Royal Navy.”
Thoughts?
FT content is subscriber access only but the quote above gives a fair overview of China's ambition to extend its maritime reach, particularly in a regional capacity.

Interestingly though China has 'conservatism' written through it like the words on a stick of confection rock. If its military reach exceeded critical mass would it attempt to extend its influence globally?

flippertyre

Reaction score
My apologies. Didn’t realise it was not accessible!
Try putting the link in outline.com to get access.

Perhaps better phrased , will the growth in military capabilities allow China’s global influence to spread more successfully?
China already has global influence and not just with their neighbours (Nepal is a perfect example), look at Africa, Latin America and even Eastern Europe. Whether that is a bad thing is another question. It certainly shakes the status quo.

At least in theory, China’s political philosophy is one of building harmony. Following that argument we should expect China’s influence to come peacefully (at least militarily speaking).

Further, China’s rise is inevitable. Is the UK’s strategy to counter its rise sustainable/productive?

Pastafarian

Reaction score
I lived in China for more than 15 years and the wife is Chinese. I speak the lingo and have a reasonable insight. Despite their burgeoning hardware, the fact is that they have very little operational experience, and most importantly, the culture - esp the military culture - doesn't lend itself to on the ground decision making as hierarchies remain strictly enforced and suffers terribly from agonizingly sclerotic bureaucracy. For example, a population of 1.3 billion and vast amounts invested into training has yet to produce a football team that is effective. This may seem a bit leftfield but it offers solid insight into the issues in China over teamwork and cooperation: https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post...s-legacy-chinas-one-child-policy-destroyed-xi

Unfortunately, my experience, and that of my families (China side) is that the idea of a peaceful harmonious rise is just a ruse to the rest of the world, that they have up until lately got away with. All of us have no doubt whatsoever that the PRC will be increasingly (ahem...) "adventurous" in asserting itself. It is all part of a larger plan. China (note: not necessarily the population) sees the West as a naive, spoilt and bourgeois society that is far past its prime, they, like Russia see the world in 19th century, zero sum terms, and they play a game to take every advantage of this. This mismatch has left us very very far on the backfoot. There be Dragons, and they are only going to get bigger and noisier.