The Determination Test

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Came back from my PRMC yesterday and a lot of people on here have been asking about the determination test on the bottom field.

Its basically a 40 minute 'extra phys' where you get thrashed and pushed to your limits. I'll explain it briefly, it involves hill sprints, press ups, sit ups, squat thrusts and leopard crawling all in quick succession. Your CV fitness and stamina needs to be spot on because you do not stop, and I really mean DO NOT STOP for 40 minutes. If you are caught resting or standing still the whole troop suffers!

You will get soaking wet because you have to run through the water under the monkey bars, this makes it twice as hard to carry on. Its freezing cold but just keep on moving. The hardest part of the test, in my view, is where you have to drag someone up a hill and then run back down. You have to use various techniques and you do this around 7 or 8 times. By now your legs are on fire and your body is screaming to stop. Don't.

At this point everone is knackered and most men are making girly noises and screaming in agony, you just have to crack on. Don't pace yourself, try and complete the task you are doing as quick as possible. You will be covered in sh1t, soaking wet, bruised and battered (I got kicked in the face when crawling!) but just keep thinking that it will be over soon. The final test we had to decide for ourselves. We had a choice of working our arms, our legs, or our abs. The majority chose abs so we did that. Everyone was laying on there backs and we had to keep our legs 6 inches off the ground, keeping them dead straight. We had to do this for the longest 30 seconds ever. If 1 person drops their legs then the whole troop has to start again.

Dig deep, don't give up. The feeling you have when you finish is great. You really feel like you have acheived something. During the tests everyone is supporting eachother, if someone falls over you pick them up. If someone is struggling you get right behind them and drive on together. Call me wierd, but I would love to do it again!

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds Intense cant wait to put myself through it, cheers! :bud:

hanky

Reaction score
i was on this prmc also,and nailed it. i think the phrase 'determination test' is wrong. its basically just a bottom field 'extra phys' involving what luke said.yes it WAS HARD,but giving up never enters your mind,you just do what you are told.

personally i found the 'extra phys' after gym test 2 harder.this involved 10-15 mins of shuttle sprints, almost literally non-stop.again,giving up never enters your mind, you do as you are instructed and wait for it to end.was the most demanding few days of my life,but also the most rewarding and enjoyable.
to anyone training for a prmc,do circuits involving pps and do not neglect shuttle sprints,use the local football pitch and sprint to the various lines.my rt is also 16th feb. good luck men.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
personally i found the 'extra phys' after gym test 2 harder.this involved 10-15 mins of shuttle sprints,

Afterthe Corporal said "it pays to be a winner" and said the first person back doesnt have to run any more in the sprints, i was the first one back so i didnt have to do half of the sprints :D

What room were you in mate? and whats your last name? *text deleted*

C

cujo

that sounds awesome! i wonder what the other tests are when you said you get to choose from arms, legs & abs? i'd think i'd probably choose abs aswell though *text deleted*

hanky

Reaction score
i was in your room sam, im mat from birmingham. hanky's just a nickname. that sprinting killed me *text deleted*

Ricky

Reaction score
Sounds awesome! Just the stuff i hope to be doing asap!

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if someone churned out a huge fart in the gym!

Also, whys it so hard not to scratch in the gym? Is it the heat/sweat or what?

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
i was in your room sam, im mat from birmingham. hanky's just a nickname. that sprinting killed me *text deleted*

haha...nice one (Y)

I offcially hate leopard crawling now.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if someone churned out a huge fart in the gym!

Also, whys it so hard not to scratch in the gym? Is it the heat/sweat or what?

Someone pissed themself on the 3 miler.

You get the slightest itch and is just gets unbearable. Its amazing when you don't want to get an itch you get an annoying one on the end of your nose.

PaddyTheManc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* yeh you could call it that! It is a good laff though. We were crawling along the floor and the lad infront of me farted :blink:

That made me actually start laughing out loud!!

paryo

Reaction score
*text deleted* sounded like it was a hard second day. how long was your ditermination test? and whats with the abs thing? during my prmc the determination test was piss just ran round the far wall, lepord crawl back the a few push ups , sit ups the only hard part was f*text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* draging someone double my height and weight down the hill and back then we were done couldent of taken any longer than 20 minuets (I think they went easy on us only 3 failed the whole corce)

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Paryo,

Ours was tough I thought, it went on for about 40 minutes and it felt like half an hour of that was leopard crawling. But yeh you are right, when you have to drag someone up a hill you are breathing out of your arse by the time you get to the top.

Callum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I saw somebody mentioned that somebody pissed themselves presumably on the run... By the sounds of this "dragging someone up a hill 6 times" business, I'm going to end up pooing my pants, honestly.

S

Sotiris

Came back from my PRMC yesterday and a lot of people on here have been asking about the determination test on the bottom field.

Its basically a 40 minute 'extra phys' where you get thrashed and pushed to your limits. I'll explain it briefly, it involves hill sprints, press ups, sit ups, squat thrusts and leopard crawling all in quick succession. Your CV fitness and stamina needs to be spot on because you do not stop, and I really mean DO NOT STOP for 40 minutes. If you are caught resting or standing still the whole troop suffers!

You will get soaking wet because you have to run through the water under the monkey bars, this makes it twice as hard to carry on. Its freezing cold but just keep on moving. The hardest part of the test, in my view, is where you have to drag someone up a hill and then run back down. You have to use various techniques and you do this around 7 or 8 times. By now your legs are on fire and your body is screaming to stop. Don't.

At this point everone is knackered and most men are making girly noises and screaming in agony, you just have to crack on. Don't pace yourself, try and complete the task you are doing as quick as possible. You will be covered in sh1t, soaking wet, bruised and battered (I got kicked in the face when crawling!) but just keep thinking that it will be over soon. The final test we had to decide for ourselves. We had a choice of working our arms, our legs, or our abs. The majority chose abs so we did that. Everyone was laying on there backs and we had to keep our legs 6 inches off the ground, keeping them dead straight. We had to do this for the longest 30 seconds ever. If 1 person drops their legs then the whole troop has to start again.

Dig deep, don't give up. The feeling you have when you finish is great. You really feel like you have acheived something. During the tests everyone is supporting eachother, if someone falls over you pick them up. If someone is struggling you get right behind them and drive on together. Call me wierd, but I would love to do it again!

Brilliant report! Although from past experience with BMF I would have never chosen abs. Holding your legs out is that hardest effing task I think. Especially if you've got long ones!

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Brilliant report! Although from past experience with BMF I would have never chosen abs. Holding your legs out is that hardest effing task I think. Especially if you've got long ones!

Well the reason why I chose to do abs is because my arms and legs were fcuked! I knew I could go a lot further with abs.

Anyway, doing that exercise you are lying down!! Thats exactly what I needed at that point!