Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

The dits that make you want to join.

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by JungleBug, Jun 15, 2014.

1. JungleBug

JungleBug New Member

So we all hear them, stories of lads either out on ops or going for some training away somewhere or even a night out.

My boss told me one about her sons friend who's in the Marines at the moment. He just got back from spending a year on an island in the middle of the Indian ocean stationed with our boys from across the pond. From what she said he just spent the time chilling and playing football and having the odd fight with the yanks because our lads could wear basically whatever while the the Americans had to wear full uniform the whole time. He saved up a few thousand while being there and is now jetting off to America for 6 weeks on heavy weapons training. Hoofing story.

What have you guys heard?

2. FreeCoaster

FreeCoaster Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Obviously not a main reason but the extra perks that come with the job (Pension...)

3. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I remeber seeing a guy in twitter who was a RM and was based out at Diego Garcia which I believe is the place you've mentioned, all of his pictures look like he was on adventure holiday, everything from lizards to scuba gear.

4. British Bullet

British Bullet Toilet

Seeing lads just chilling out on their base in Afghanistan. Yea its hot, theres giant bugs, and the potential danger, but something about the down time, be it relaxing in a small pond, or playing football, lifting makeshift weights, just something about it makes me want in even more.

Also the stories of men being in the arctic. Training in the snow and ice, and having a glass of scotch right after you dunk yourself in freezing water

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tsar

Tsar Active Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Just being away from all that pointless sillyness in the civi world with real mates. The pension also is a nice bonus :p

You get to see and be part of things that most people won't be a part of, also being part of history is pretty awesome.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Going all over the globe. Perks what come with the jobs. Pension. Promotion. Brotherhood :D

7. OSTV

OSTV Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Wanted one of those green hats

OSTV

• Like Like x 5
  8. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

I'm not biting on that.
    Currently struggling not to abuse moderator privileges! Talking about a coveted in such a way (without owning one)

• Like Like x 6
  9. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Freddie, I let it slide but if you want his home address.... ;)

• Like Like x 8
  10. OSTV

OSTV Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    You definitely fancy me. Any opportunity to bring me up :eek:

OSTV

11. Tsar

Tsar Active Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
  12. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

You liked his post :eek:

13. Tsar

Tsar Active Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I don't know but @OSTV has a hold on me

14. Wolfie.

Wolfie. Well-Known Member

Looking at the recent ops and training exercises gets me pumped not so much a dit.

This year specifically as it's the 350th Anniversary and they've done tonnes of stuff.

15. Léngth

Léngth Royal Marines Commando

Making things explode ini ;)
    All jokes aside though, seeing the world, serving my country, and blowing stuff up

16. Living!

Living! Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    The physical and mental challenge along with brotherhood and cheerfulness in the face of adversity! Would hate to have a 9-5 job with boring days/weeks/years!

Life needs to be an adventure

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    To join the biggest drinking club going!

18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Not anymore it’s not. Company Bars being closed, drinking and silly rig or cross dressing rig runs ashore culture being clamped down on. With women entering the hierarchy have been cracking down on the “banter” and morale.

And when you realise how much money you have p1ssed up the wall, you will wonder why you bothered at all.

• Seen Seen x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

There's a ring of truth about that statement! :( The highlight of any exercise or operation was the PU at the end and after having spent next to nothing while away, you went ashore with a bulging wallet, only to sit there a few days later trying to borrow a few quid off an oppo to get you through to the next payday and making pledges to yourself that you will get more responsible, only to repeat it all again after the next one!

Enjoyable at the time though! :D

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1