The fun starts on Monday - I need some direction

TheYeti

Reaction score
I have untill September to get my ass into shape for my RMR PRMC.

So i'm off out to get my phys kit in order over the weekend and get cracking with my training on Monday.

I'm planning to run 3 miles 3 times a week to start with and gradually build it up from there. As well as doing phys in the unit holding troop and no doubt a sesh of circuit training at the local gym.

My question is what kind of time is thought of as an okay one over 3 and 6miles respectively? Just so I know i'm not really slow without realising it.

Bearing in mind the only thing I've run for in the past few years is to the chippy at closing time:dinner:... Though I was a national level XC mtb racer in my late teens early 20s so i'm pretty well versed at pushing myself into a vomit inducing state and beyond.

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
I reckon anything sub 40 minutes is cracking for 6 miles, sub 19 for 3 miles is pretty good.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Those times are a bit ambitious for sum1 jus starting out, i'd say for 3 miles aim for less than 25 mins and then progress from there

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
yeah fair one, i was thinking more generally though they're pretty good as a standard to aim for/be running at.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have untill September to get my ass into shape for my RMR PRMC.

So i'm off out to get my phys kit in order over the weekend and get cracking with my training on Monday.

I'm planning to run 3 miles 3 times a week to start with and gradually build it up from there. As well as doing phys in the unit holding troop and no doubt a sesh of circuit training at the local gym.

My question is what kind of time is thought of as an okay one over 3 and 6miles respectively? Just so I know i'm not really slow without realising it.

Bearing in mind the only thing I've run for in the past few years is to the chippy at closing time:dinner:... Though I was a national level XC mtb racer in my late teens early 20s so i'm pretty well versed at pushing myself into a vomit inducing state and beyond.

What September PRMC you on? I'm on the 2nd.

TheYeti

Reaction score
What September PRMC you on? I'm on the 2nd.

I have no idea...

All I know it's sometime in September...and in Liverpool not Lympstone..

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea...

All I know it's sometime in September...and in Liverpool not Lympstone..

Doesn't sound like a PRMC as PRMC only happens at Lympstone, it could be a RMAD or PJFT maybe?

Your aiming pretty high early and I like it. Don't forget to reach your short term goals before your long term goals, set weekly goals instead of "between now and September" and trust me you'll get better ALOT faster =D Good luck and hope you crack it.

TheYeti

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a PRMC as PRMC only happens at Lympstone, it could be a RMAD or PJFT maybe?

Yes. It is RMR.

Your aiming pretty high early and I like it. Don't forget to reach your short term goals before your long term goals, set weekly goals instead of "between now and September" and trust me you'll get better ALOT faster =D Good luck and hope you crack it.

Cheers man. I have a plan and I plan to stick to it - though the 6am 3 miler went out the window this morning. It'll just have to be the 6pm 3 miler for today...

My brother has been through it all so he's given me some pretty good benchmarks to work towards which is a great help.

TheYeti

Reaction score
Rolled in at a shade over 25 mins on 3 miles.

Eff me..I thought my head was going to explode at one point and that my lungs were *text deleted* fall out my gob. It was unpleasant. It's hills galore round here!

I'll pound this route for a couple of weeks and see how I improve

Hats off to maraton runners....