The Georgia Crisis

Mitch

Reaction score
Discuss. We might as well use this forum as practice ground for POC. I would put money on it turning up in any upcoming courses.

Mitch

et-adams

Reaction score
The news harks on about unacceptable Russian military action, but the Georgians started it.

If you try and steel the big kids sweets, expect a smack round the head. Russians are simply putting out a message; they're already p*ssed about the American missile protection system that we allowed.

Do nod vuck vid mudda Russia.

Mitch

Reaction score
I go away for one month travelling and this is what the crazy Ruskies get up to? Ha

I managed to grab a few English papers in Madrid to have a read today and it seems like there is a whole lot more going on than candy snatching. And the really amusing thing about it is what the US and UK are going to do about it. They can't say Russia is all wrong because then they would be hypocrites for what they did with Kosovo and they need Russian support for any sanctions they want to impose on Iran. Then again Russian troops are supposedly killing civilians and fleeing Georgian troops. Tricky.

Just a side thought; how would this kind of thing be attacked in a POC or AIB? Would it be a question like my one or would it have more of a point to answer in it?

Mitch

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
well it's current affairs, as i've heard you're expected to be up to speed on current affairs, that being said i am aiming to be but a grunt so what do i know... *text deleted*

et-adams

Reaction score
Reasoned and insightful, Mitch. But I'm standing firm on the sweets analogy.

Ghod70

Reaction score
Well the Russians have removed makeshift checkpoints (bricks on the ground) but haven't made much progress of withdrawing. You think they'll go without Saaksihvili's (sp?) resignation? Apparently theres a debate in the Kremlin as to whether to actually go to Tblisi and get him...

Taggart91

Reaction score
Does anybody think that this trouble between Russia and Georgia will escolate into other countries taking sides? Like the UK and US. Because it might just be me but i feel this potentially might be a big problem for the rest of the world too.

Tom

Reaction score
Does anybody think that this trouble between Russia and Georgia will escolate into other countries taking sides? Like the UK and US. Because it might just be me but i feel this potentially might be a big problem for the rest of the world too.

*text deleted* i think so it could turn into another Sarajevo (WW1) and escalate further. Again its all down to oil supllies I think. Theres a big pipeline running through South Georgia, sorry can't remember the name, but as always everyone wants it so i believe that the Russians main aim is to seize that whilst taking previous Russian territories, Georgia and South Ossetia in the process.