The Green Beret

S

Sotiris

A few questions regarding the Green Beret:

How many servicemen currently wear it in active service? I keep getting all sorts of different figures between 3000 to 4800.

Is a member of the Royal Marine band allowed to wear one?

Is it true that recruits of the French Foriegn Legion are issued their green beret as part of the kit before they even graduate? Pffft!

How many berets are you issued with once you pass out?

Hehe, what happens if you lose it :cry:?

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I will end up doing that. Found it dead hard to pass my driving test, did it, got my license and was really happy. Lost it three days later out on the piss.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
All you need to know about the green beret young one is try your best and you'll get one, wear it in public and you'll get many ladies :)

S

Sotiris

Haha wear it in public? Woo woo! Although I'd be suprised if many ladies knew what it actually meant.

Actually it's a shame you don't see many servicemen wearing their uniform in public. The only ones I've seen have been on a PR job or the few cadets returning from some sort of exercise.

Hehe I'd never wear anything else!

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
you can buy another one if you lose it. you can buy them at lympston, ebay, maybe a army surplus store and obviously your stores at your base.

and your only issued one, because you earnt the one. if they gave you more than that then it would kind of demean (i hope i spelt that right) what the green beret is worth. because your working hard to earn that one beret you can put on your head at the end of the 30 miler and if they say "here are theres two" i would think it wouldn't be as special as if you got one at the end of training. you can order more for yourself at a later date but just the one has more sentimental value.

a member of the band is allowed to wear one, but they have to have done the all arms commando course and have a uniform to wear it with, because they only have formal parade dress, their "blues" as they are called.

i doubt the FFL get a green beret as standard issue my friend *text deleted*. it totaly destroys years of tradition and hard work for it to be just given away. there are however a few green berets in the army and other military forces around the world in particular branch's but non of them are the same as the RM green beret.

and regarding how many people have the green beret, well i dont have a clue, find out how many marines there are and some how find out how many people in the army have it *text deleted*

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think the RM has a total strength of 6,000-this doesn't include Army Commandos and not sure bout RMR

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
you get issued one beret when you have passed out.

as far as i know the rm band do not wear a green beret as they only do basic training.

and if you loose your beret you can purchase one from cash clothing i think at around £6.50

i hear you say £6.50 for all that blood sweat and tears well thats what they cost money wise but we all know the true cost !!!

Sitmus

Reaction score
RM band don't get a green beret. The green beret is for people of the royal marines who have passed the RT.

THE ISH

Reaction score
In the eighties the RM band service was made up of nearly all green lids im not sure if it was mandatory but there was a hell of alot who did have a green lid,

i think they can still do the all arms commando course and win there green lid today but im not sure many do today for what ever reason i dont know.

im not sure but i think you get issued 2 berets one for best ie full lovat dress,
and one for operational dutys,

if i get mine i will frame it and buy another but thats a few months of yet plenty of time to save the 6.50 *text deleted*

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
let me just say again that you only get issued one beret, you can buy as many as you want.

the rm band wear blues but they are a little different to normal rm blues, they also wear the corps badge on their pitf helmet.

THE ISH

Reaction score
let me just say again that you only get issued one beret, you can buy as many as you want.

the rm band wear blues but they are a little different to normal rm blues, they also wear the corps badge on their pitf helmet.

Sorry Fella i didnt see youre post i just read the thread,

only one lid! thats a bit tight init considering what you have to go through!

so do you keep the original for best and buy one for GD?

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think buying one would be the same feeling as earning one at end of training. try and look after the special one :)

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to make sure I keep the Original GB I earn, frame it etc when it gets too bad to wear.

Rem

Reaction score
I'm going to make sure I keep the Original GB I earn, frame it etc when it gets too bad to wear.

I think ill do this too, seems a waste to wear out your hard earned beret, it'll get framed up at home. I won't buy like 3 because if you only buy 1 new one to use in the field you'll take care of it more. Hence it'll last longer!

RC

Reaction score
I dont think buying one would be the same feeling as earning one at end of training. try and look after the special one :)

I don't like the issued ones, too much material on them. Most of my troop went straight to Loius Bernards and bought another.

Personally, the actual issued beret didn't mean that much to me - but what it symbolised did.

Rich.

THE ISH

Reaction score
I don't like the issued ones, too much material on them. Most of my troop went straight to Loius Bernards and bought another.

Personally, the actual issued beret didn't mean that much to me - but what it symbolised did.

Rich.

Hello mate in youre opinion whats the best sort of beret to get cloth band? or leather band,

and also whats the best way to shape em i know the hot water and cold water way,i was just wondering if there was any other tricks for getting youre beret looking gucci!!

Ps i know its a bit premature for me as i start training monday but it would be nice to know cheers.

RC

Reaction score
Hello mate in youre opinion whats the best sort of beret to get cloth band? or leather band,

and also whats the best way to shape em i know the hot water and cold water way,i was just wondering if there was any other tricks for getting youre beret looking gucci!!

Ps i know its a bit premature for me as i start training monday but it would be nice to know cheers.

Alright Mate.

To be honest, I didn't know you could get cloth bands, so I can't really comment on that.

Yeah, hot and cold water is the only way I know of. Generally, it takes several attempts over a period of a few days/weeks to get it sorted. I would imagine you will get shown exactly how to do it.

Good luck for RT mate.

Rich.

THE ISH

Reaction score
Alright Mate.

To be honest, I didn't know you could get cloth bands, so I can't really comment on that.

Yeah, hot and cold water is the only way I know of. Generally, it takes several attempts over a period of a few days/weeks to get it sorted. I would imagine you will get shown exactly how to do it.

Good luck for RT mate.

Rich.

Cheers Oppo,

Yeah they all used to be cloth bands which i think are better than leather, but you dont see them much these days i think its just the oldskool bootnecks that wear them.

Ive also noticed that the new age Bottnecks shape there berets differntly, i mean in terms of how it looks not how they do it, it seems like they like it with hardly any material on top .

Forgive me i sound Bone!

Cheers.

crackhour

Civilian Member
Reaction score
When we were in the marine cadets, we eventually got issued with our uniforms (no 1s + combat gear)..

I had to march up to the CO and say my commonwealth marine cadet promise,
I promise to serve the Queen the commonwealth etc..
The CO then placed the beret on my head (black beret with red capbadge backing, same as you get in 32 week training) It looked like a huge cornish pasty when she put it on my peanut *text deleted*..

I was then told by the Sargent Major to take it home and boil it in a big pan of water, put it on my head still wet, and not take it off till it was dry!! Which I did!
Obviously this was to mold it to my head and it worked to, when I took it off it kept its shape...

We used to also use toothpaste and that white stuff you put on shoes, on top of our white dress caps before a parade, and preyed it didnt rain!!

When I pass out Im going back to the cadets to visit them and will give them a talk if they're interested (In my green beret of course) Maybe some of y'all will come too..!!

The Marine Cadet Promise

I promise to serve my God, the Queen, my Country and the Sea Cadet Corps
and to obey the orders of my superior Officers.

I will be proud of my uniform and wear it smartly like a Royal Marine
and always do my duty.

Believe it or not I agonised over these few paragraphs for a week or so, as I had to do it in front of 15 other marine cadets , and 35 royal navy cadets girls aswell!! Plus all the superiors 10 or so!! heh heh great days!