The Informal Chat

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The Informal Chat - Hapenning Tomorrow

I have a question about the initial "informal" chat, how informal is it? I myself do not think it would be appropriate to go in anything less than a suit as it is a serious matter that involves a possible life long career, am I worrying too much about it? Is a suit fine or should I remove the jacket that accompanies it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

To be honest buddy it isn't a question you'll get a definite answer to, as it depends who you are chatting with. Some might and some might not want you to dress formally. Probably most will think Jeans etc are OK but you might get that one careers officer who expects your best effort.

One thing I will say is that if you go dress formally you'll set a good impression and show you are serious. So they certainly won't hold it against if you do wear your best.

Best to be safe mate,

All the best
GW

Reaction score
im starting my application tomorow so it'll be the first time ive visited a naval afco(visited a army afco). im just *text deleted* wear a shirt tie and trousers i mean its gta be a better image than streets. plus it will give u a confidence boost if u dress this way.

NicholasSkamballis

Reaction score
I have a question about the initial "informal" chat, how informal is it? I myself do not think it would be appropriate to go in anything less than a suit as it is a serious matter that involves a possible life long career, am I worrying too much about it? Is a suit fine or should I remove the jacket that accompanies it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I've gone in a suit for everything so far!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ah lovely, wont feel overdressed then. Thank you for the feedback all I appreciate it greatly.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
someone on our medical came in in,

a shirt, jacket (the suit ones) and runny sh*t coloured trousers.

it was a shock i tell you that!

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well got my informal chat tomorrow morning so polished shoes and gotten everything ready for tomorrow, although its only the informal chat i'm excited as hell! Been nearly two years worth of preparation,decision making and moving to the UK to become a Royal Marine so really dam happy its finally starting for real since i have only had contact with careers offices in london over the phone till now.

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i just stubbled in shoelaces trailing, hair not gelled and scratching my backside with a gormlass luck upon my face as if to say "am i in the right plaace" and now im at week 15 of training

Nahhh *text deleted* just smart jeens and best T-Shirt

It has the name "Informal" Chat for a reason

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Nearly burst into tears when a problem came up with my residency waiver that i needed to join the marines...but after a few hours of speaking to a most helpful Warrant Officer in the london office its been sorted and been given my application papers which i will return tomorrow/friday and sit my psychometric most likely next Friday the 19th.