The Life I Want

Dalton2250

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
:fly:Alright dudes..... I'm Simon.T. You can call me Slimey Si (or variations!)

I'm *text deleted* join the RMR soon (once at required fitness/strength level). Not picked a detachment yet. Just got a few questions really.

I'm joining the RMR because I want a taste of the life. If I like it, I'll apply for the RM full-time. I *text deleted* go out on operations, Afghanistan preferrably. Does anyone know if I'd be mobilised anywhere with the RMR? I understand there's about 30 RMR boys out in Afghanland at the moment.

If posted somewhere, would it be a full tour of duty (6/8 months) without the opportunity to leave? Or are rules a bit more flexible with the Reserves?

Probably sounds like a silly set of questions. But these are the ones I can think of right at this moment.

Don't expect all of 'em answered really, any help would be stupendous.

gibbo

Reaction score
I dont think its such a bad idea having a bash at the RMR mate. better to do that than just jump right in at the deep end and find out its defo not for you

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think its a pretty poor idea to be blunt.

You WILL have a preety blatant handicap, your fitness will have to be kept up for so long.

And as said above, the RMR aren't just a social gathering, they are thee real ting too.

Dalton2250

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Especially gibbo (you came across as most supportive instead of trying be me drill instructor!)

I sware I'm not doing the RMR for a hobby or a walk in the park. I understand the challeneges are no easier than that of the regular corps. This was just the advice I was given by the AFCO in Sheffield. The guy there told me I should either go for the PRMC and see if I'm cut out for it (but if, halfway through this daunting challenge the instructors noticed I didn't like it, I'd probably fail because they need to see that hunger).

Or join the RMR because if it ain't for me I can opt out easier. Having said that, if my desire is to go out on operation in Afghanistan and I do get posted there, I won't be able to opt out anyway (as rightly pointed out by Pendo :wink:).

There are other reasons I chose the RMR instead, such as the pay drop if I go full time and the fact that I'm 25 now and I hear more lads of a similar age tend to choose the RMR.

Anyways, I think I've jibber-jabbered about this enough now.

Thanks once again.

Si.T

encn

Reaction score
Yeah I understand what you're saying and am not going to act like a drill instructor......But......it all depends on what exactly you want to 'experience' you won't get a feel for the 32 weeks intensive training or life on camp (where you have to live the military way of life/discipline 24/7) if you join the RMR - and these are often the hardest bits about the regs, by all accounts. However you will experience the same training and can then experience the same Ops.

As it sounds like you're aware the draw back is you won't have someone making you do your phys everyday, so you need to persist with it yourself, and in your own time, and for over a year, not 32 weeks.

But yes, most of us are mid twenties, and a fair few either take up regular contracts for 6-12months or go regular/reg officer if they really get into it.

Depends also on your civvie career, and situation, but not a something you can decide lightly.

jimbob4444

Reaction score
mate if you want a taste of the RMR get your self booked onto an RMR acquaint day. No one's trying to be your drill leader...

Don't think that RMR is simply there so that you can get a feel for it and decide if you want to go into the regs. It's still the real thing and if you're not 100% sure that it's not for you then i'd say it's probably not

Dalton2250

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Know what ya sayin mate,

I'm 100% sure I want to be involved with the Marines, but remember that's based on everything I've seen in the MEDIA. I don't actually know what life is like in the Marines or RMR. That's why I'm being a bit more cautious with the approach.

I know the RMR is not a bloody game or an easy ride! As I said before, I didn't make the decision on my own, I was given the advice by someone who is hopefully qualified to give it! A careers advisor at my nearest AFCO! So why would he say that if it's not a good idea?

I'll get there....just need to get my stupid head together.

I think the RMR Acquaint day would be a good start.

Cheers