the motto.

dazzaf111

Reaction score
ite their peeps jus wondering does ne 1 no wat the motto (Per Mare Per Terram)means cant find the answer ne where... cheers.

Aptitude test -passed
eye test -passed
interview-passed
medical-waiting

'power is nothing without control'

C

critchmufc

you shoul dbe able to find it on wikipedia, or the RM website

it means:

By Sea By Land

dazzaf111

Reaction score
thanks mate ,must been lookin in wrong places.:bigsmile:
medical-waiting

'power is nothing without control'

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
interesting how you managed to pass the interview without knowing that? thought you had to describe the badge?

C

critchmufc

you do, and they asked me about the commandos and locations

but i am fairly surprized you didnt know the motto

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
MY only advice regarding the 'By Sea, By Land' bit, is that if you say it the wrong way around it could be viewed as running away, so get it the right way around. The way I, and many others remember the Latin bit, it in my mind is "By 'orse, By Tram" (Per Mare, Per Terram), but it's probably wiser not to actually voice it.

Having said that the Royal Marines recently managed, whilst 800 miles inland in Afghanistan, to do an amphibious raid across a lake to attack a Taliban force on two fronts, so maybe it's not a heinous crime if you get it the wrong way around, as long as you remember that example.

dazzaf111

Reaction score
*text deleted* you do,dats the onli bit didnt no,he told me to go find it out .

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
would i be right in saying they might be getting a little more lax at the interview stage because we need more people?

dazzaf111

Reaction score
*text deleted* they do,you have to know alot more than the 1st,dats why im on here learning as much as i can *text deleted*

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah they do,you have to know alot more than the first,thats why im on here learning as much as i can *text deleted*
Text speak = silly. Just a heads up, admins prefer as close to correct English as possible, due to the things that monitor the site picking up potentially useful keywords for search engines.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i'm gobsmacked that you passed the interview without knowing the corps motto.

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I spent hours upon end revising for my interview and this guy passes without even knowing the motto!?

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I think he's trolling because it seems pretty silly but if you're not then try www.royalmarines.mod.uk

there's not alot you won't find out on there, just keep searching. if you do happen to be trolling, then .. whatever. Read it anyway, it might help you out either way.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest, I think he is trolling.
it could be he gave a really good interview and just happened not to know that one thing... in any case, this thread has rather served it's purpose now....

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeha, I think if he passed his interview then fair play, aslong as he doesn't talk like he types.

S

Sotiris

MrSkippy -

Another translation please, my good chap...

Haha, I was about to ask for one myself. You know what amaized me??? I think it was James Williams in Commando on the Front Line. When Lt Orlando asked him what the Commando Ethos were....Williams had no clue arrrgh!!