The Pace of Application?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Does it reflect badly if I do not go through the application process at the speed they try to take it?

For example, the day I first went into the AFCO for my 'informal', I left with the application form having been told to have it back in a week. I wasn't too happy about this as I wanted to ensure the form could be filled out perfectly and I didn't *text deleted* feel rushed into the whole thing, I *text deleted* feel comfortable that everything is my decision and not that I'm being pushed.

If I turn down fitness test dates, PRMC dates etc, because I feel I want more time, would it look bad? and would it be noted. My form is going in the post today, but it will be there about 10 days later than the 7 days they said it should be back with them.

Any thoughts guys? I want more than anything to be a RM, but I don't *text deleted* feel pushed through the process. Does that make sense!?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's entirely up to the individual how fast/slow they wish to complete the selection process. when all's said & done you are under no obligation to join.

It is better to suspend an application than let elements of selection just expire as they have to be repeated and incur additional cost- for example if you get Security Clearance- it costs at least £2,500 to obtain. If you don't join within 12 months, it expires & has to be repeated.

If someone constantly defers an application over a long period of time it brings into question their motivation to join, but you're recommended to aim to join within around 6 months of initially submitting an application for Other Ranks & 12 months for Officers as a rough rule of thumb. If you don't wish to join within these rough timescales, don't submit your application form.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja, my AFCO guy who's taking over my application paper work said that he can't let me on my RT untill 6 weeks after PRMC (which would be teh 14th Jule intake I think), any reason why this is? He said there was paper work but on my paper work I've pus ASAP for a join date.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Some AFCO's may not submit your security clearance until they believe there is a good chance you will pass selection due to the costs involved. Security Clearance takes on average around 8 weeks & is a condition of entry into Service.

Most RT courses are filled about a month or more in advance, but the UK average from passing PRMC to starting RT is about 6 weeks.

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Well for me I applied in June last year and only just passed my PRMC last week!Though it was down to injury and delaying my subsequent PRMC

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Well for me I applied in June last year and only just passed my PRMC last week!Though it was down to injury and delaying my subsequent PRMC
Yep it's not uncommon to take over 12 months through injury, but if someone takes that time other than for good reason, then it calls into question their motivation.

Latest posts

New Threads