Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

The Paras: Men Of War

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by MORP, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ah right thanks. I never really thought about/realised how different the two really are and I can see definitely why it makes comparisons hard.

2. Wessex

Wessex Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I came across this YouTube video a while back, one of these ‘react’ ones of an ex-RM watching a bit of USMC basic training

The video has a crazy amount of shouting leading the ex-RM to ask what in earth the shouting is all about so the comments in the Comments section are all about getting used to chaos and listening to orders while it’s all going nuts and kind of simulating a chaotic battle environment where you don’t have a clue what’s gong on. I guess with training there’s many different ways to achieve results!

• Like Like x 2
  3. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    i like this about the USMC putting more stress and hardening recruits, but in this country that would be called bullying and being too harsh.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I remember seeing something about Army instructors being reprimanded for swearing too much at recruits after a program aired.
    Take this with a pinch of salt however, as I did see it online and a long time ago.

5. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Theres a rumour you can only punish no more than 20 push ups a day or even have go to bed at 11pm no later at night

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

There was a story doing the rounds about a decade ago that Navy recruits were given a yellow card and a red card which they could record the actions of training teams which they felt unfair.

I've even listened to people who claim they had them in training. They didn't, it never happened but it's a good example of retelling a dit so many times that it eventually becomes a supposed fact. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for clearing that up.

8. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    FFS. Do the training, then decide. I may be being grumpy but any comment that starts with ‘I read it somewhere on the internet’ or ‘there was a rumour that...’ is almost certainly *text deleted*. Stop worrying about this sort of nonsense and start focusing on preparing yourself to get though training.

Lots of armchair warriors on here who decry training before going though it. Trust me, basic training takes commitment and determination to get through, do not make the mistake of thinking you will sail through because some lunatic on the internet says the RM/Army has gone soft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  9. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Can you point out where someone has said training is easy because the military has gone soft for me please?

10. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I’ve heard the one where only PTIs can dish out more than 10 press ups

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

There'll always be those who claim training or selection is easier than it used to be, likewise there will be people who will say the quality of trained ranks is lower, the fun has gone out of the job, it's changed since they joined and there's no foreign travel anymore.

They said all that 40-odd years ago, too.

One thing that's always left me bemused is how the hell those serving a couple of years National Service (conscription) in the postwar years, seemed to manage to allegedly cram so much in to their military career after finishing training :)

12. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    National service has always seemed quite weird in how you get some guys never leaving the country and others being sent out to far flung regions of a crumbling empire, with hugely different experiences.

13. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

I'm surprised the PC brigade haven't already kicked off about the documentary being called 'Men of War' when women can join now too! -nailbiting-

14. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

Thats why you get so many halfway holds. It may only be 10 press ups but making you hold at 3 quarters and half way makes it the worst 10 press ups ever.

15. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Spot on they are minging or legs six inches above the floor

16. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Lad in falklands told me about worst corridor session he ever had wasn't the one that lasted 3 hours, it lasted 45 minutes but only did 7 press ups in that time

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

You in falklands plt?

18. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    No mate don't worry was just talking to him

19. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

20. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    As one of the Corporals on my TT said "The training is still hard, its just your generation thats got soft"

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1