Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

The Paras: Men Of War

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by MORP, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Surprised to see the South African guy only had a ten minute discharge interview & sing-song - possibly his training shortcomings were edited and prior attempts with regard coaching and mentoring were edited out, but it seemed to be a 50/50 decision and it seemed odd he wasn't encouraged to give it another few weeks or given training objectives.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zak123

Zak123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yep am sure he is *text deleted* regret it and it would be something constantly in the back of his mind, or maybe his shortcomings was to do it for his dad and not himself. Yep the training team did not encouraged him to stay and where lax about it.

3. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

I'm not sure how I feel about it.
    Showed very little of the difficulty and to be honest that looked like any regular rifle unit.
    There were some good parts where the section commanders clearly snapped but there was a lot of times they would of been smashed for those little mistakes and they focused on some real unfortunate not strong bodies who made us look bad.
    It was shot well and some of it looked great but I guess with it being your regiment those little things will get to you such as saying P company the hardest part which it isnt. By far.
    I understand they cant show the training up to 2.30am or late to only have it thrown across the room or show cleans. But the singing was horrific.

4. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    My mate is one of the Joes on this program, Ive been told South african guy was universally hated by the lads! He had a massive ego and gobbed off alot but couldnt back it up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Seen Seen x 1
  5. Something Original

Something Original New Member

Watching this now. Chuckled when the Joe got told to stop shivering, and go to his Happy place. 'Where's your happy place?' 'Jumping out of a plane corporal.' 'Have you ever jumped out a plane?' 'No corporal'.

Looks pretty rough even 10 days in, and when Kojo ended up getting a chat over his progress, he got an excellent bit of fair advice, Wishing the best for the lad.

The better three quarters is Finnish, and absolutely tearing into the lads for being nesh in the snow though.

Would always be nice to watch the superhumans at the head of the pack, but got to appreciate that it's a recruitment tool, and has to show people failing and succeeding against the odds. I guess I'm not the one they're appealing to.

Surprised how pleasant and calm the backtroop chat seemed compared to the passive aggression of a Captains Table with the Master at Arms looking like he wanted to break my knees.

Gutted for the Saffa lad, hope he can sort out his demons and get himself back in again when he probably realises he goofed in a few years time. Seemed like he had the fitness, but the determination to see it out just wasn't there to back that up. Looking forward to the next week for the right reasons, rather than looking forward tk the car crashes of Commando/Sailor School.

Edit: Just goes to show what good editing teams can do. His little gob off when told to wind his neck in and put his cam cream on makes more sense. So much for 'made loads of mates'.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  6. goatstarer

goatstarer New Member

A well thought out move , maybe next week the RAF will slide one in...I hear they like sliding things in unexpectedly!

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

To be fair, the fact someone earns a green or maroon beret doesn't stop the person underneath it being a hoop, we all have our share, I guess.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Lad in the troop I was in would consistently get in fights with other lads (mainly the 'weaker' recruits) and try and bully weaker members out of the troop. Know of lads who tried to 'hunter' themselves mainly due to him and a few others. Pretty sure he passes out soon as an original and maybe a diamond, not too sure, so must be pretty competent at everything else. Shows that not everyone is a saint.

• Seen Seen x 1
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As a pongo who cringes every time I see our adverts, I have to say that the two programmes on at the moment are pretty good. There will always be bits that annoy such as the focus on the saffer but overall showed that training is robust but achievable. They are never going to show the ‘darker’ side of training but I hope the next episodes will show a bit more training and fewer ‘talking heads’.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, I agree, it was well edited in the main. No-nonsense and made very clear what the job is about.

Thank goodness is wasn't made by the same idiots that made Sailor School - it would've done more damage to recruitment than Capita have achieved.

• Like Like x 2
  11. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Yep!! “Pillow gate” is something that’ll take a long time to forget!! :(

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I enjoyed it. As others have said, showed it as it was, hard and demanding. I did like the cheeky advert for the Corps during one of the breaks!

Alan

13. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That's a shame.
    I was sort of hoping everyone would be so exhausted in rt that this wouldn't happen

14. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

I had a good laugh when I saw the Royal Marine advert!
    I personally didnt think it made our training look hard I thought even though they edited it well that it looked like any old rifle regiment

15. goatstarer

goatstarer New Member

If fact, then he will be knocked down a peg or 10 when he joins his unit. Integrity with individuals is paramount more so in training than anywhere else. If others failed to intervene (irrespective of the reasons why towards the recipients) then I'm afraid that those that witnessed it are lacking and are just as bad as the individual mentioned.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I agree entirely but intervention is easier said than done when these lads are considered amongst the strongest and in some cases I believe given section IC tapes. When weaker lads were singled out as being the reason for, I.e losing a weekend, doing room changes, 'extra phys' etc then they got turned on like a flash. Especially when the training team mentions 'getting round the weaker lads' some of them may have taken this upon themselves to get people out of the troop, as I was a weaker one they made my time in my second troop pretty miserable but it's rich of me to sit here talking about them having been discharged whilst most of them are about to pass out. Don't get me wrong, my original troop was brilliant for helping out weaker lads but this one was toxic. Once the training team got wind of it they had a stern word with everyone which helped but I'm not sure what happened after that, I was only in that troop till late in phase 1 mind.

17. goatstarer

goatstarer New Member

I see the points you've mentioned, something that hasn't changed over the decades. Inevitably this is an element within led by one and others follow. Still no place for it and teamwork was lacking. Why was you Discharged?

18. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Numerous reasons which I could drip about all day but basically for being rubbish at everything. Did a big thread about it somewhere but I'm not *text deleted* drip about lads still there. Hopefully *text deleted* have another crack at that or something in the army at some point soon!

19. goatstarer

goatstarer New Member

Well, That's a shame, (In short, no criticism) as it is a a case of either having it or not. No point in going over the past. I'd cast it aside and learn from any of the failings that you have had during RT and crack on. As you are very aware of the point that it's fast paced and those that lag behind (for whatever reason) are left behind and would find it extremely hard to play catch up. If you're passion is still too pursue a career within HMF, then put you're best foot forward an square away the points you've briefly stated. Best of luck.

20. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Look like they got found out

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8