Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

The Paras: Men Of War

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by MORP, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah, unfortunately I didn't and it's always *text deleted* be my biggest regret although knowing what I know now and with a fresh start I'd think I'd get on fine. I'm pretty deep into a medical appeal at the moment with the intention of joining 29 cdo and lightly considering the paras so will see where that takes me and even if it doesn't turn out well I can always have another crack at RM In a few years. Many thanks.

2. JWR94

JWR94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I didn't hold much hope for this as Commando School was so bad. I thought it was actually quite good except the singing part, which was ridiculous. And it would be good to see some of the lads who are doing well not just the *text deleted* ones. It's also interesting that this is on ITV, the same station that first showed 'Commando on the Front Line', which is what made me want to join up.

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I don't do much FB but I took a squiz at the comments about the TV show on the Parachute Regiment page. Many grumbling about the so-called good old days of the 1990s which made me feel even older than I did before!
    But this comment made me laugh:

"Would love to have a go but I'm too old now at 42. I once got a phone call from 22 asking me to join but I was 6 months over the age they were looking for gutted ."

• Like Like x 3
  4. goatstarer

goatstarer New Member

Heres my favourite ( Hi, I'm a snowflake and i would like to join. I'm just scared i might melt?? Are selfies in rig ok?) along with another individual posting (36 still fit. If you ever get short ! Gave his telephone number which I've removed off this post)

5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

That could well have been the DS, who as he ran past the camera remarked: I'm too old for this sh!t!"

Alan

6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Funnily enough I felt much the same this afternoon. Ran up the hill to buy a few beers and passed a bunch of unruly fourteen-year-old lads on their way home from school. At which point they decided to race 'grand dad' to the top. Bloody hooligans! :)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

hope you shook your first at them and shouted

IMG_20190112_000513.jpg

That'll teach them not to mess with you.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It's happened before. On that occasion one of the youngsters actually beat me to the top of the hill prompting me to shout "That would never have happened if I was forty years younger!" :mad:

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Much happier with this episode showing a little bit of 'extra phys' and showing a bloke saying its far too hard for him so he transfer to an easier regiment with less stress and strains.
    Showed a bit of the battle you take in depot training.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Also really found it funny as it honestly happens a lot the Joes who leave paras and go for a line infantry almost always get top recruit.
    Bit of a shame they didnt show the 4 day night sleep deprivation exercise but overall it was 10 times better than the first episode

11. flakey19

flakey19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I was absolutely howling when that lad said ‘I wanted to join the Paras over the marines because the paras training is harder’... 5 mins later... ‘corporal I wish to transfer to the rifles’ :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  12. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

I didnt catch that part. Yeah it does make me laugh that he got best recruit because it happens a lot because a transfer is so quick and easy and Joes dont realise that by week 12 like he was his standard of soldiering is massively stronger than that of a week 12 line regiment so he would have gotten there and stood out with shinning colours. That episode made me feel proud to be a paratrooper even if it did miss a lot of the hardest parts.

• Like Like x 5
  13. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Haven't watched it myself yet but good to hear that it's a good show rather than terrible recruiting adverts we're so used to.

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Even forty years on I recall one lad who left RT at Depot Para transferring to what was then the Royal Army Veterinary Corps.
    Transferring to another Army unit during RT was made reasonably easy because transfers did not adversely affect Parachute Regiment manning.

• Like Like x 1
  15. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

a brilliant episode, I'm sure it conveys the rigors of paratrooper training. I do wish the comparisons to Royal Marines was left out however. Rivalry between units is all well and good, but hearing a recruit mouthing off about this training being harder than anywhere else is just cringey! especially when said recruit wraps his bangers in 5 mins later!! all in all tho a cracking insight into the Para Reg! and I'm sure it will be well received by those who are currently serving?

"What makes the grass grow again?" :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I like the series but it definitely needed to be done over maybe 6 shows instead of 3, the speed it jumps through the weeks is frustrating!!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I agree. It focuses on what arduous training is all about. Forget the barrack room stuff, the drill sessions, how to shower and dhoby; just concentrate on what the job will be about and that is closing with the enemy and killing them, before they kill you.

I did think that bringing the guy in who lost both his legs in an IED, to inspire them as to why the stretcher race was an important part of the course was genius.

Good effort Perce! ;)

Alan

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Good episode showed us what we are about. First in no messing we have two minds our families then our jobs.
    Perfect line - oh the Army is bad but who will they call when it kicks off?
    Its a weird one why Americans dont use our Parachutes. We literally have the safest in the world by a long stretch and its a 1990s design!

Shame it was only 3 short episodes last 2 were good as I imagine tv could really show you to be honest.
    Hopefully picks up recruitment to get more guys into our Regiment and some more recognition like the Marines get.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Definitely will! You do have the recognition it just doesn’t feel like it because you are in an environment where everyone is the same!!

20. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

All paras can agree that the Marines are much more well known not to mention have the best adverts.
    The paras are a heck of a lot smaller so it is inevitable to be less known. But one thing is for sure

Maroon machine means Airborne but its the capbadge for the Reg that is what stands us out now as it is given out even before p company to attachments

• Like Like x 1