Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

The Paras: Men Of War

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by MORP, Dec 8, 2018.

1. ajc81

ajc81 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but to the people that have done their training, do they really make people shout Blood Blood Blood? I found it a bit cringeworthy. I thought that was something that American soldiers did :confused: I don’t see how shouting that is not embarrassing, or am I now sounding far to British (not wanting to draw attention to oneself ) -nailbiting-

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. ajc81

ajc81 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I hope I didn’t sound critical in my post above. I really liked the programme and it was nice to see that the training staff showing what it’s really like rather than being too soft for the camera. It makes my tired just watching it, I just thought shouting blood would make you feel daft :confused:

3. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Overall a great programme but I was disappointed by the final episode. Too much talking to camera and not enough watching the blokes do their thing.

It must have been mentioned 20 times that they are at high readiness. Happy with that but the OC checking the news in the morning and making it sound like he could be pulled away from his wedding day mid-ceremony...really?!?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Bayonet training is all about aggression. We didn't do the Blood thing when I was in RT, but we did do a lot of shouting!

Personally, I would not want to get that close to the enemy. Far better to be a few hundred metres away than a few feet! However, I do believe that bayonets were used in the Falklands war in 1982, when Argentinian positions were over run on the final assault and gallantry medals were awarded to Marines, due to the hand to hand fighting that took place.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It is embarrassing. And it certainly wasn't a Parachute Regiment thing in the 1970s.

• Like Like x 4
  6. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I liked the grit and determination shown by the London lad, he could of easily wrapped but instead he got a grip of himself and got stuck in!!

7. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

Couldn't agree more with this! I enjoyed the programme but wow he was an absolute cringe-ball. Neggers humility throughout just spent the entire programme blowing smoke up his own fartbox.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Caversham

Also, not quite sure about the kit muster scenario for not shaving. Does that thing happen in the Corps these days?

Years ago if you were pulled for a misdemeanour such as not shaving, then you'd pick up a crap job such as working in the grease pit in the galley for an afternoon in your time, but certainly not a kit muster. Also, can't understand why he was stood the other side of the fence.

Judging by the unshaven faces of both Paras and Marines I saw during my time on various ops and on bulletins since, shaving was very low down on the list of priorities. Clean weapons, yes. Shaving, not so!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  9. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Because he couldn't bother himself to go onto camp so did the muster from the Married Quarter side of the fence...very professional.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  10. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

Yes I thought that was ridiculous too. That does not happen in the corps. It used to be a physical punishment, down the river get a rock, take the company flag up to the dewerstone and wave it like a madman, that sort of thing. Now it's all supposed to be down the route of official paperwork remedial action in the form of minor administrative action where there will be some sort of late night see off detail. However the reality is he will just get gripped by one of the lads and told to play the game and have a shave before even getting to work.

He did it from the other side of the fence because he was a lazy turd that didn't want to go on to camp! The Colchester married patch is literally the other side of the wire so he would have got into rig left his house and did it all from the other side of the fence! Lazy and unprofessional in my opinion. He spent half the programme spouting off about how many times he's been demoted! toilet.

• Like Like x 5
  11. ajc81

ajc81 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Yeah I get the shouting I suppose, you need to build up the adrenaline to be brave enough to fight up close. It’s was just a weird I think. I wasn’t expecting it. :)

12. AKayyMH

AKayyMH New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I liked the bit where he gave himself motivation during parachute training

'Come on! Get my head on straight, I know what I'm doing. Stop flapping. Just breathe, take my time.'

• Like Like x 1
  13. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

I missed this one, when is the repeat on if anybody knows?

14. razzmatttaz

razzmatttaz New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    You can watch it on ITV Hub mate

15. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Its very much a line infantry regiment thing. We didnt shout it on any bayonet training I know. It was mainly wahoo muhammed and shouting.
    Yeah Braima has made it in the end he will do fine

Yes not shaving will get you a show parade. Theres two types of show parades. One by the ncos or an officer.
    Officers is turn up in your 2s for inspection a corporals is full exercise kit plus black grip and uniform. Unshaven will get you a show parade but usually an officers one. Or rarely you will get shelled for it
    Yeah episode was almost like lets go fight russia almost or we are high readiness. Hear it a lot obviously

• Like Like x 1
  16. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Clearly a clever recruiting ploy, to make it look like something is going to kick off anytime! And if it does! The Paras will be first in.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Caversham

The only kit muster I ever did after RT was when we were designated Spearhead unit and all your kit was inspected. As others have said, non shaving and other minor rule infringements were dealt totally in-house with a gash detail in your time.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It’s not just adrenaline, it’s the mindset. It’s about controlled aggression. Getting your blood up to stick a bayonet in the Enemy’s face, before he obliged you with his.

I have done bayonet training a few times and it depends who’s running it, and what perks they have.
    I had one similar that involves screaming blood when asked what makes the green grass grow. Another was being asked what you are you here for and answer “to kill”.

And the usual shouts about catching someone doing your girlfriends/boyfriends a mischief or someone attacking your mother/father/insert appropriate.

A favourite of mine on one run was you had to remove your bayonet and sling your weapon and pick up an entrenching tool and batter a dummy, before proceeding to grabbing a helmet and repeating.

The psychology behind it is fascinating. As shown in the below video. Look at how he reveals the bayonet and his speech about it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Agreed. It's about as up close and personal as it gets, I guess.

In recent years I've seen TV interviews with two veterans one of whom in WW2 had to kill the enemy with an FS fighting knife. The other vet fought through an enemy position with his bayonet during Op Corporate in the Falkland Islands. The two incidents were forty years apart but both individuals were sickened by the memory and shed tears as they recalled their experience. Both said something along the lines of "I had to do it. It was him or me." The reality is both ghastly and humbling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1