The realities of being operationally deployed.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For those concerned about the comparative dangers of Combat after completing Commando training & still trying to convince your Parents and/or Partners that the Royal Marines are a good job prospect, the following comparison, whilst admittedly not exactly comparing like for like, gives a fair indication of perspective with regard dangerous occupations.

The number of UK troops killed on operations in Afghanistan since 2001 now stands at 89.
Of those killed, 25 died from accidents, illness, or non-combat injuries, according to the Ministry of Defence. Of the all-up total, 8 were Royal Marines Commandos.

Source:
(
British Military Fatalities in Afghanistan since 2001
).

UK Construction Industry fatalities have hit their highest rate for five years, according to official Health and Safety Executive figures released in July.
There were 77 fatal injuries in the year 2006/7, and an estimated 300 since 2001.

Source:
(
British Construction Industry Fatalities in 2006/7
)

Whilst it is extremely important to accept that Royal Marines will serve in areas of conflict, it is equally important to realise that this is exactly what they are trained to do.

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So there's more fatalities in the construction industry than the war in Afghanistan :? Reassuring in once sense and concerning in another - I'm currently applying for work in the construction industry.

Chris5818

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I can believe that, i have recently been helping my Uncle with construction work, and a plane of glass fell from a second floor window whilst getting fitted, and luckily (in a way) it only took all the bridge of his nose off!! and didn't hit him directly on the head, not a pretty site, but could of been a hell of a lot worse.

Strangely he found the funny side of it all.

wanabee green beret

Reaction score
My dad works in the rail industry and they were given some stats the other week showing a list of the most dangerous jobs, the military was placed in position 11 and the railways were placed at 6. :eek:

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
slightly off track.........but does any one know the sport with the most deaths in it

.....crown green bowling!!

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
those pensioners are f*text deleted**ing nutters thats why. All STI's and drug abuse. No sympathy from me im afraid