The Reasons Why

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Everybody has different reasons for doing things. One of the questions that people ask when you to tell them that you want to join the Royal Marines is WHY?

When I initially joined up, my reasons were as follows:

I had a childhood ambition to become a Royal Marine Commando.
I wanted to do something worthwhile with my life.
I wanted adventure and something physically and mentally challenging.
I wanted to be part of one of the finest fighting forces in the entire world.

I did, back then, have a backup plan to join the paras if I failed as a Marine. But first and foremost I wanted to be a Marine more than anything else.

During my service. I wouldn't have changed places with anybody else in the entire world. And I mean anybody.

So, why do you want to become a Royal Marine Commando?

Regards

Steve

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
When I initially joined up, my reasons were as follows:

I had a childhood ambition to become a Royal Marine Commando.
I wanted to do something worthwhile with my life.
I wanted adventure and something physically and mentally challenging.
I wanted to be part of one of the finest fighting forces in the entire world.

My reasons for wanting to join are almost exactly the same as yours were.

Some of my mates think i am selling myself short by applying to join the ranks of the Marines, but i think they are the real mugs by going for jobs just because they are qualified to apply.
Everyone has a childhood ambition, but nobodies is to work in an office - no matter what the money looks like.
Yet the people that say that i am underestimating myself/wasting education etc, are the ones who will end up slaves to the system and think "have i achieved my ambition, urm.... NO!"

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The military is in my blood, both of my parents were RAF and i was born into that environment, so the forces was going to come back again in my life and the question was - "who to join then?"

"Who else!" I thought, I know physically i am capable. Mentally, well we'll find that out during RT, but I have never been so sure about what i want to do. So my determination and drive is pretty strong. To be part of an elite force, to say proudly i am a Royal Marine, the people i will meet and stay friends with - I have already met some top lads, comaradery, challenge, adventure, the opportunity to do a unique and special job while making a difference and helping people at the same time. I was born for this!

I could'nt work in an office, i have a short attention span when it comes to things like that. I would be looking out the window and wishing I was outside. Live life to the full and make the most of things while you can, thats what i say!

C

critchmufc

well,

im pretty sure every kids dream is to join the forces, probably due to action amn and rambo etc.

it just comes down to do you have the bollocks and determination to see your dream through

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
because I spent enough of the past few years sitting on my arse infront of a computer, and I don't want a dead end job where that's all I do, and there is no other job that offers what being a Royal Marine does. Also, on the more superficial side of things, you'll be able to call your self a royal marine.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
steeve im joining for pretty much the same reasons as you, and i think most people join for those reasons

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My reasons are, I wanted to join the forces to be the best i can be to further myself and grow to be the man the Royal Marines will make me. Strong and Determined.
I also want to join for the camaraderie, to be part of something.
The Royal Marines is something special that i want to be a part of.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Reasons

Guys, there's been a few new joiners here since this post went out. Would anybody like to add the reasons why they want to join The Corps, i.e. inspirational, ambition or whatever.

Cheers

Steve

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Another way of looking at it, as well as determining why you want to join, is to weigh-up the Pro's & Con's:

Advantages.

The potential to earn a list of transferable qualifications as long as your arm! (Unlike other infantry units)
Kudos
Pensionable job (non-contributory pension)
Guaranteed employment contract for 18 years or to 40, if you want it.
Free gym membership
Free medical/dental health care
Word travel
Camaraderie
?190 per week NET pay -instead of ?30 EMA (for example)
?13,013 annual starting pay (Other ranks) ?28,216 starting pay (Graduate Officers)
6 weeks paid leave per year
Concessionary rail travel
Cheap married quarter accommodation
Free food & accommodation when deployed, or on a ship.
Transferable skills
Additional training when you leave to prepare you for specific jobs
The opportunity to take further GCSEs, A Levels through service funded Enhanced learning Credits.
World class training to make you best prepared to serve in a hostile or a life-threatening environment.
Free uniform clothing
Life experience
Management Experience
Adventurous Training opportunities wordlwide. (Diving in Cyprus, parachuting in Florida etc)
Disciplined lifestyle with defined structure
A well structured career structure with the ability to advance yourself through promotion.
Assisted house purchase scheme.
Annual pay increases
Forces Discount Scheme- over 500 companies offer service people discount. From Holidays to hirecars to spectacles to solicitors.
The Regular Forces Employment Agency are a free job agency for all individuals who have served- they help you find a job suited to you.
Automatic training for civilian driving licence (up to HGV standard) after completing Recruit Training.
Free Welfare Service to look after you family whilst you are away.
Lifetime Families support network

Disadvantages

Separation/Homesickness.
Disciplined lifestyle
High likelihood of serving in a hostile or a life-threatening environment with risk of injury/death
Worry/anxiety for your Family & Partner
The potential to be deployed at minimal notice, thus making it difficult to plan ahead with utter certainty.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
"The opportunity to take further GCSEs, A Levels through service funded Enhanced learning Credits."

Ninja, I've been reading about the Enhanced Learning Credits. There's just one thing I'm not clear on. Can they be used to fund an M.A, or possibly even higher?

Edit:
May have been better to send a PM, rather than cluttering up the thread. Sorry.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Fabulous

Another way of looking at it, as well as determining why you want to join, is to weigh-up the Pro's & Con's:

Advantages.

The potential to earn a list of transferable qualifications as long as your arm! (Unlike other infantry units)
Kudos
Pensionable job (non-contributory pension)
Guaranteed employment contract for 18 years or to 40, if you want it.
Free gym membership
Free medical/dental health care
Word travel
Camaraderie
?190 per week NET pay -instead of ?30 EMA (for example)
?13,013 annual starting pay (Other ranks) ?28,216 starting pay (Graduate Officers)
6 weeks paid leave per year
Concessionary rail travel
Cheap married quarter accommodation
Free food & accommodation when deployed, or on a ship.
Transferable skills
Additional training when you leave to prepare you for specific jobs
The opportunity to take further GCSEs, A Levels through service funded Enhanced learning Credits.
World class training to make you best prepared to serve in a hostile or a life-threatening environment.
Free uniform clothing
Life experience
Management Experience
Adventurous Training opportunities wordlwide. (Diving in Cyprus, parachuting in Florida etc)
Disciplined lifestyle with defined structure
A well structured career structure with the ability to advance yourself through promotion.
Assisted house purchase scheme.
Annual pay increases
Forces Discount Scheme- over 500 companies offer service people discount. From Holidays to hirecars to spectacles to solicitors.
The Regular Forces Employment Agency are a free job agency for all individuals who have served- they help you find a job suited to you.
Automatic training for civilian driving licence (up to HGV standard) after completing Recruit Training.
Free Welfare Service to look after you family whilst you are away.
Lifetime Families support network

Disadvantages

Separation/Homesickness.
Disciplined lifestyle
High likelihood of serving in a hostile or a life-threatening environment with risk of injury/death
Worry/anxiety for your Family & Partner
The potential to be deployed at minimal notice, thus making it difficult to plan ahead with utter certainty.
Ninja, excuse my ignorance if this has already been done mate, but any chance of making your post a sticky?

It'll give the members plenty to think about and would be topical to pull pieces from for debate and further clarity.

Steve

stoker0nine

Reaction score
Ok my turn.
I've always thought about the Forces since I was little. I Was always inspired by it, and as said above, all the action films we watched looked great!
I never imagined myself actually joining any Armed Forces, had never given it a thought. Just couldn't picture myself in it, until a few years ago I watched one of the Royal Marine adverts. I can't quite remember which one. I thought; those Marines are awesome; I would love to do that (So the recruitment advert did it's job very well then!). I then kind of laughed to myself for saying I would love to do that. Then I thought 'hang on, what's stopping me doing that?' From then on to this day I haven't stopped thinking about joining.
The reasons for joining include most of what has already been said. I want to do something exciting with my life. I want to fight for my Country as part of the world's greatest fighting force. I want to become a double hard Ba$tard! I want to get out of boring office job. I want to be as fit as I can possibly be. I want job security (especially in this day and age!) I want the camaraderie. I want to break the usual daily routine of 'out of my warm bed at 8, breakfast, go to work, come home, watch TV or whatever, go back to bed, repeat'. I want to be up at all hours through the night/morning in rain and mud sleeping in the field (something which your parents are never too happy about if you do in civvie life!). And the Adventure Training sounds fantastic!

I know that's a lot of 'I wants'. I'm not really that greedy, but I want it all :biggrin:

The only disadvantage from Ninja's list which concerns me is having my family and friends worry about me while i'd be away. I hate the thought of that!

But never mind. That's my story anyway!

S0N

J Garfy

Reaction score
My Reasons:

I want to do something i can make my family proud of.
The challenge physically and mentally.
The lifestyle of being very fit and motivated.
I want to be the best and the Royal Marines are that.
Oppotunity to travel the world.
Always wanted to be a Royal Marine Commando .
General intrest in warfare.
Sports oppotunitys.
For the ladies. Joke!

k mac

Reaction score
To sum up; Lifestlye, training, a job where you get to be outside. The more I look into joining the more it appeals to me to join, the history, the Commando qualities, the quality of people you will work with (see the thread on the Apache rescue, not going to get that working in the city are you) and the sense of acheivment.

Im a Uni student and find my self itching to get it over with,and into the AFCO !:bud: