The Royal Marines Young Officer

tweighman

Reaction score
Hi to all (and apologies to RmRecruitingOfficer, who has, in fact, already awnsered this question for me)!!

I felt that I should start a thread on what exactly a young RM officer's first few years actually consist of, given that I found information on this topic particularly difficult to find (though, I must say that RMRecruitingOfficer has proven very helpful in this respect on a personal level), and that the marine's website itself is somewhat confusing (I am currently at uni and am very interested in joing after graduation).
I particularly welcome those who have served, or are currently serving, in the corps to shed some light on the issue.

General questions are:

What is the first appointment that a RM officer is likely to have (phase two training, after passing out of CTCRM)? The webiste states a YO can be posted to one of the commando units (45,42 and 40), FPGRM and Commando Logistics regiment. Having called them a few weeks ago, the naval careers advisary service even stated that a YO cannot attain the rank of Captain until he has commanded a rifle troop for a period of time. They also told me that a YO may NOT be posted to the Commando logistics regiment in their first appointment. Are these two statements true?

Also, what roles are performed by a YO in each of these areas of the Corps? Given CTCRM has provided extensive combat training for the YO, would any role mean that the respective YO has no oppurtuniy to utilise these skills in his first appointment?

gerrard86

Reaction score
YO will either go to 40,42,45, FPGRM or Commando logistics in first appointment.

From what I understand after a YO has successfully completed phase 2 of training as a troop commander he may gain the rank of captain if he has a degree or is core-commision.

Mate dont over complicate what you need to know, at the end of POC you get a 20 minute lecture about YO training and future career progression that will provide you with what you need to know for AIB.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
YO will either go to 40,42,45, FPGRM or Commando logistics in first appointment.

From what I understand after a YO has successfully completed phase 2 of training as a troop commander he may gain the rank of captain if he has a degree or is corps-commision.

Mate dont over complicate what you need to know, at the end of POC you get a 20 minute lecture about YO training and future career progression that will provide you with what you need to know for AIB.
Good advice & welcome to the forum.