The SBS Challenge

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I own a book called "The Royal Marines Circuit Training" and at the back is a fitness test that you may attempt after completing something called the Beast.

The author states that the program is subject to change all the time in order to prevent potential candidates doing specific training to give themselves an advantage.
Anyway, getting to the point. I thought I'd share this fitness assessment to see what sort of scores we can all get and also it seems like a pretty good circuit.
I won't tell you yet what a good/bad mark is and will save it for when a few of you have given it a go.

THE TEST
You will probably need a partner to record your scores. Calculate the scores at the end, just record what you've done.
You are allowed a 2 minute rest after the run and 1 minute after each exercise.

Run 3 miles - 20 minutes = 100 points.
Add or subtract 3 points for every 15 seconds under or over 20 minutes.

Pull ups - Maximum you can do. 5 points per pull up.
Sit-ups - As many as possible in 2 minutes. 1 point per rep.
Tuck Jumps - As many as possible in 2 minute. 5 points per rep. ( This should be box jumps, but i doubt many of you have boxes to jump. :smile: )
Press-ups - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep.
Dorsal raises - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep. NO CHEATING! Both legs and chest must leave the ground at the same time.
Burpees - As many as possible in 1 minute. 2 points per rep.
Incline situp - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep.
Military presses - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep.
Lateral jumps - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep.

By the way, this book is absolutely mint, they've stopped printing it now I believe, but if you check out ebay, you might be able to get hold of a copy for a bargain price. Some of the Amazon sellers want £70 for this bad boy!

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I own a book called "The Royal Marines Circuit Training" and at the back is a fitness test that you may attempt after completing something called the Beast.

The author states that the program is subject to change all the time in order to prevent potential candidates doing specific training to give themselves an advantage.
Anyway, getting to the point. I thought I'd share this fitness assessment to see what sort of scores we can all get and also it seems like a pretty good circuit.
I won't tell you yet what a good/bad mark is and will save it for when a few of you have given it a go.

THE TEST
You will probably need a partner to record your scores. Calculate the scores at the end, just record what you've done.
You are allowed a 2 minute rest after the run and 1 minute after each exercise.

Run 3 miles - 20 minutes = 100 points.
Add or subtract 3 points for every 15 seconds under or over 20 minutes.

Pull ups - Maximum you can do. 5 points per pull up.
Sit-ups - As many as possible in 2 minutes. 1 point per rep.
Tuck Jumps - As many as possible in 2 minute. 5 points per rep. ( This should be box jumps, but i doubt many of you have boxes to jump. :smile: )
Press-ups - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep.
Dorsal raises - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep. NO CHEATING! Both legs and chest must leave the ground at the same time.
Burpees - As many as possible in 1 minute. 2 points per rep.
Incline situp - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep.
Military presses - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep.
Lateral jumps - As many as possible in 1 minute. 1 point per rep.

By the way, this book is absolutely mint, they've stopped printing it now I believe, but if you check out ebay, you might be able to get hold of a copy for a bargain price. Some of the Amazon sellers want £70 for this bad boy!

I've seen this before,
can't remember what score I got,
was bloody hard though,
If you're *text deleted* do it,
you're probably better off doing it before a rest day.

Joe

Ipodbob

Reaction score
what weight do you use on the military press ? i can usually do about 12 with 25k

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I believe it's with 10kg dumb bells or a barbell with 5kg either side.