The Selection process...

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok i'm a bit of a rookie on this site but.. I'm looking to apply to RM after A levels so like june time. I'm keeping fit running etc but.. I've seen guys who have nailed their PRMC already but have to wait until January until their RT? I know about The psychometric and PJFT etc but selection seems to take a fair while. How long does selection actually take?

Thanks.

Davies.1990.

Reaction score
it usually takes 4-6 months of applying at your local afco depending on fast they work. it can all depend on you aswell. goodluck pal :shakehands:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome. First of all if you have the basic 5 GCSE's (A*-C including maths & english) already and aim to score over 180 UCAS points at A2, it may be worth considering joining as an officer.

There is only one Officer entry per year (September 09 is the next one) and you need to start the process before the end of Dec 08 for this next entry.

For RM Other Rank, you should allow 6 months on average to from start to entry to comfortably meet & pass the standards required. The AFCO won't hinder you however & if you are 100% fit and complete every element of selection immediately it's possibly to join within 3 months.

Good luck

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
It will be 4 months when i go to PRMC for my application (Y)

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks Ninja stoker and others! I had been considering going officer but I'm doing badly in my A levels. The fact that I want to be an RMC has distracted me from school, I'd rather be at the gym than doing my homework if you understand? Thanks for the advice and what you said about getting it done straight away means i could be done with selection in 3 months! I guess 5ish months will be likely.

Thanks all! x

Joe B

Reaction score
alo mate the only reason mine is such a long gap is because that was my personal choice. i could have gone in quicker but decided to join up after christmas in a fresh new year in january..i decided when each of my tests where to be held, and could have been done easily in 3 months or whatever. my careers advisor basically said its your life so you tell me when you want to do things. so its down to you, to a certain extent *text deleted*

Joe

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers

Thats a relief because i'm looking to go in asap, I regret school big time!

Thanks!

Joe B

Reaction score
yeah, ive decided to go straight from school, i thought about college but then thought that i would be sitting in class or whatever bored wishing i was in. hopefully i made the right decision, only time will tell *text deleted*.

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You did

I reckon you did mate, I wish I was in your position becaue sixth form was/is rubbish! I'm like the only person in my year of about 250 people thats' going for the Marines so know one understands. I mean everyone on here is from all over the place. It's not a common goal I must say!

Good Luck at least you will have the easier part of very hard training done in January when It will be freezing!

Joe B

Reaction score
yeah i no i was the same in school, i had to explain it to people *text deleted*.
cheers bud, good luck with your application process too (y)

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You have plenty of time to train and do your studies at the same time.

Time is on your side - concentrate on your running, pressups, situps and pullups.
These WILL build your strength to a high level (even if you arnt looking big), and will put you in a good position to be able to get through the selection process.
Concentrate on running the most. And do it outdoor.

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Cheers but i can't really think about applying til may/june time..:( Yeah and when you have to explain that the Marines aren't Army! Takes the *text deleted*! x

FrancisL1991

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers Mr Skippy! Yeah I have been warned about just running on the treadmill and all that. I'm going for a gentle 3 miler outdoor on saturday morning *text deleted* lose my outdoor running virginity sometime! Thanks and good luck to you mate! Hope I meet you guys one day.. Never know It's a small world especially in Devon/Dorset *text deleted*!