The truth about exercise

Kentish

Reaction score
Just finished watching, as you say, results at the end are quite interesting, would have been good if they found someone on the opposite end of the spectrum and did the same tests to see how their results were affected and compared between the two ranges.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I worry that this is just going to fuel those who already have drawn on every excuse in the book to avoid excercise.

Fatties everywhere will be saying: "Oh, but I am a 'non-responder'........"

Infuriating at times.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I watched it when it was first aired. However, correct me if I'm wrong; doesn't being a 'non-responder' prohibit huge changes in cardiovascular fitness, not weight loss. By my understanding, they can exercise all they like and won't get much faster but will still see the other benefits of it?

Baron

Reaction score
Watched this when it was first aired. It was an interesting show and I very much like the presenter...Isn't he the one who did the documentary on medicine and the military?

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I watched it when it was first aired. However, correct me if I'm wrong; doesn't being a 'non-responder' prohibit huge changes in cardiovascular fitness, not weight loss. By my understanding, they can exercise all they like and won't get much faster but will still see the other benefits of it?
Na you are right!

I can just see a lot of people that may not have the "gumption" that many of us do, turning it into another excuse.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Na you are right!

I can just see a lot of people that may not have the "gumption" that many of us do, turning it into another excuse.
I think obsession is a better word for us lot, but I see your point!

byrney

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Watched this when it was first aired. It was an interesting show and I very much like the presenter...Isn't he the one who did the documentary on medicine and the military?
Yes, he's the same guy. Seems to produce some good documentaries!

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think obsession is a better word for us lot, but I see your point!
"Obsessed" is the word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Read that in someone's signature before. Forget whose though.

JMW123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking though, surely a non responder could still increase their V02 max by doing the training he did, but it would just take more time and realistically be a bit harder due to genetics, that is one thing he didn't cover.

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly if I ever meet anyone that says they're a non-responder and only thinks they need to do 3minutes of phys a day..

..I'll just make them do Fran.

X-Guard

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thats was one hell of a stupid documentary. Not worth watching at all.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
This 'non responder' stuff sounds like a load of nonsense made up by city types/Men's Health subscribers (the types who stand on those vibrator boards while drinking Gatorade) and who only eat foods you can't pronounce which are cultivated at temples in Tibet or something...

Do CV fitness training and, incredibly, you'll get better at CV fitness :eek:

Kentish

Reaction score
This 'non responder' stuff sounds like a load of nonsense made up by city types/Men's Health subscribers (the types who stand on those vibrator boards while drinking Gatorade) and who only eat foods you can't pronounce which are cultivated at temples in Tibet or something...

Do CV fitness training and, incredibly, you'll get better at CV fitness :eek:
I think you're being pretty narrow minded and dismissing something you know little about. You may correct me if I'm wrong, your post just appears that way. Personally, I've not researched it, but it makes sense. A loose example, think about body types, mesomorphs find gaining muscle easier than ecto or endomorph, why do you denounce the existence of non responders?

As is said, this is only about 15% of the population, not a large amount, he did gain stamina and other health benefits.

Whether he would gain a higher VO2 max with a longer period /varied training, I don't know. Maybe they should have tested for an untrained, genetically classed "super responder" to run alongside him and compared results.