The Week

Reaction score
I am not sure I have mentioned it on this site but 'The Week' is an exceptionally good publication for preparing potential POC and AIB candidates. I still read it religiously, you can find it in WH Smith or decent newsagents with the Economist and other titles. It gives an excellent round up of the week's events and comes out every Thursday. It has a good balance of views to it and the one out this week even has an interesting article on IEDs. I regard it as essential reading and it's a lot more efficient than reading every issue of the Times and Independent.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Nice, i will have a gander at it purely out of interest (not going officer route.)

Does the magazine have much of a bias or is it fairly neutral?

atb

sb146564

Reaction score
Hi RMRO, I read the economist at the moment along with The Times. Is it worth getting The weekly aswell or are the topics roughly the same in each edition?
Stephen

Reaction score
The Economist is a good read but can be a bit heavy. The WEEK is easier to read and understand the key issues in the headlines. I would recommend it to complement what you are already reading. I like it because in about an hour I can get an understanding of everything that's going on in the UK and the rest of the world without trawling through all the papers. Don't underestimate the value of the Sun either, it's what your men will read and it's worth understanding the information and 'facts' that most of them get.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
The Economist is a good read but can be a bit heavy. The WEEK is easier to read and understand the key issues in the headlines. I would recommend it to complement what you are already reading. I like it because in about an hour I can get an understanding of everything that's going on in the UK and the rest of the world without trawling through all the papers. Don't underestimate the value of the Sun either, it's what your men will read and it's worth understanding the information and 'facts' that most of them get.

Uh oh it was going good until you mentioned The Sun. It is extremely low in my reading order, is it really worth destroying your IQ for this?

Reaction score
It depends, I think to be a good Officer you need to have some understanding of what your marines are thinking. Tabloid journalism is quite an art, don't write it off because it is not high culture!

S

Sotiris

Sir,

Thanks for the tip.

Guys, if you suscribe online now you'll get 6 free issues. I've just tried but it wont accept my card. I'll go into town tomorrow to pick up an issue.

Matty72

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
this is brilliant to know. I am going to try and obtain those 6 free issues. So do you think that Reading magazines such as the week that it will help you understand things better and even understand your fellow marines as an officer better as well?

Thanks

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
aaarrgghh I hate it when people go on about how rubbish the sun is.

It is THE most pro-armed forces paper. It encouraged people to get themselves to homecomings, are behind the help for heroes campaign charity, publishes special editions of the sun to send specifically to the troops in Afghanistan and aranged the x-factor charity song.

Rant over

sb146564

Reaction score
Yes but it also LIED! The Sun will always remind me of the hillsborough disaster and the lies they told about the Liverpool supporters. I fully appreciate that they back the armed forces, but I will never believe anything that that paper prints.
I think perhaps reading Nuts or Zoo would be just as good haha!
Ste

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I like reading the Sun simply because it keeps my mind on the fact that not EVERYONE in Britain is indifferent to the forces.

Booker

Reaction score
Yes but it also LIED! The Sun will always remind me of the hillsborough disaster and the lies they told about the Liverpool supporters. I fully appreciate that they back the armed forces, but I will never believe anything that that paper prints.
I think perhaps reading Nuts or Zoo would be just as good haha!
Ste

Every news paper 'lies' or to phrase it better, 'dramatises the occasion'. The journalists are there to write a story to sell a paper, hinting that The Sun lies and then going on to thinking about reading Nuts or Zoo was comical genius though.

Booker

Reaction score
From what I can gather from the disaster there were 'x' amount of people in there when the capacity was only safe for 'y', meaning that too many people got in. Whilst I accept that it is a very sensitive subject, it is not the only occasion where Liverpool fans have done this. A prime example was in Istanbul, when forged tickets were freely available, again, too many people were in the Liverpool end, but this time, luckily, nothing came of it.

And from my understanding it was the bit that the sun printed about the fans robbing the ones that died was the bit that caused sour grapes.

WannabeMarine86

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There are forged tickets in circulation for every major event i can guarantee you that.

There was "sour grapes" as the paper didnt just claim the fans where stealing from the dying they also claimed they urinated on paramedics and groped a dying girl. Now i think we can all agree papers lie to sell more copies but when its lying to this extent they should hang their heads in shame.

X amount of people where let in by the police on the day as it was all standing back then and they had grossly underestimated the amount of people they had already let into the ground and continued to let even more in. Not letting people escape from being crushed and locking them in because they thought they were rioting didnt help either.

When the press finally realised people where being crushed to death and not rioting they all printed full page apologies, all apart from the sun. They printed their apology nearly 20 years later when Wayne Rooney signed exclusive rights to them for his autobiography. They have the lowest sales of any paper in the Merseyside area and i hope it stays that way.

As for being pro-forces they would be pro-anythin aslong as it won them more readers. Sorry for hijacking the thread anyway.......