Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

They Shall Not Grow Old

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Hyperhippo, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    • Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. J20012001

J20012001 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I always found myself thinking it can’t possibly get any worse then most of the time it did, was harrowing to see it like that for the first time. I definitely recommend it too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Must admit I was really surprised how they managed to bring the old footage to life by "smoothing" the playback, adding colour and the sound dubbing was superb. It was masterfully done and very poignant I felt - found myself watching it a couple of times, such was the impact.

The thing that hit me the most was a great many of those young lads were clearly under 18.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  4. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

@Ninja_Stoker you'll be surprised to hear that Peter Jackson restored over 100 hours of IWM footage as a thank you for providing the footage to use in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  5. BLM

BLM Active Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Agree, truly great piece of work. Watched it on 11.11. Do not recommend it is watched by young teenagers however, there were elements in there that were not comprenehsible to a 15 year old.

6. AKayyMH

AKayyMH New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Remarkable work. I hope they do the same for WW2. My favourite WW2 documentary is Band of Brothers's 'We Stand Alone Together'. It's on YouTube.