Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Things that amaze you/are awesome

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Wingzero, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

He'd be gutted if he slipped off a sweaty beam. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DJANGO

DJANGO Member

Hahah he's definitely palmed a bit of dust

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Watch "The Toughest Man Alive: David Goggins Tells All In First Interview About His Military Service" on YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A Guinness ad from back in the day. For me, nothing about Guinness is awesome. It tastes like bile but their marketing agency has produced some top TV ads over the years.

Tom Crean is a hero of twentieth century Antarctic exploration and Guinness associated his determination and grit in a hostile environment with its product nicely here:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    After my first match for my colts side, playing a couple years up, someone offered to buy me a pint as a congratulations and asked what I was drinking. Taken by surprise I panicked and said guiness. My choice of beverage was met with surprise and piss taking from some of team but in order to save face, I stuck to my guns and said I liked it. Poor move, I was now stuck drinking it for another three or four matches before I admitted the error and got back to decent beer.
    Fibo

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A kitesurfing leap by Olly Bridge of almost 200 metres at Dawlish Warren, Devon. The location is downriver from CTCRM and opposite Exmouth.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

No running down a 900 metre range to the butts here! A cosy, high-tech target spotter screen at Bisley.
    Pinched from a FB group page:

L42_Bisley.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. corvus

corvus Member

Did you snatch that 5th shot? ; )

9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Not me, sadly. The bloke's group is a tidy one with an L42A1 when one considers that the Lee Enfield has been about in various iterations since the end of the nineteenth century.

10. Fibonarchie

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    This

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Wow! I would hire a ten-foot dinghy, install an aft flag staff and then row up every inch of the port dipping my ensign to every ship in salute.
    I met someone who once did that with the US Pacific fleet. Took him all day.

From personal experience, it is immensely satisfying when a mahoosive, grey RN warship returns the salute to a tiny tupperware toy. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fibonarchie

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Not exactly related, but a few years ago, my great uncle - who had been a captain(?) in the navy - had his wedding anniversary aboard HMS Belfast. After dinner I went for a more thorough look around and found myself in the engine room. Must’ve been lost down there for at least half an hour. Finally I managed to get out, and found that they had closed the public section of the boat and I was now cut off from the rest of the party. It took some fence climbing, but I did get back.

Point is - it’s hard to believe from the outside how big those ships are!

13. Parhelia

Parhelia Member

Found out that this is a thing today: Cannon Fire thunder, named because that's what it sounds like. It only happens under certain conditions.

I thought people might like it, given the theme. I thought it was awesome:

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  14. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Would that be San Diego?

Alan

15. Fibonarchie

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Afraid not mate. Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico. Former US navy station though now they only have sections maintained for reserves and I think sold the rest to the Puerto Rican government.

16. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Got it! Went there with 40 Cdo when it was operational. The US had a field firing range at a place called Vieques, which was crap, but the run ashore in San Juan more than made up for it!

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Imaged pinched from Hawk Conservancy Trust, Andover.
    Goshawks are my favourite raptors but this Bald Eagle is mightily impressive :eek:

bald_eagle.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Isn’t this one of the best scenes from any film? God I love Tarantinos movies

• Like Like x 1