Things that amaze you/are awesome

Chelonian

Reaction score
More from Topsham TV.
FA-2 Sea Harrier flight deck ops on HMS Illustrious. The harnessed energy of those machines was amazing to watch. Unsure how much it cost per second to keep one airborne.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Back in the 1990s one of the best (non-advertised) air displays was at Dartmouth, Devon.
Britannia Royal Naval College trains a variety of Midshipmen from diverse foreign nations. Those nations pay handsomely for the service. More importantly it's a significant foreign policy enterprise.

Unlikely to see many Midshipmen with 'Libya' shoulder flashes in 2020 but that's another story.

Once a year (usually coinciding with the early weeks of the September term) BRNC would invite the decision makers from a variety of foreign nations to observe the training opportunities; basically it was a sales pitch. The highlight was an impressive display of UK air assets.

Sea Harriers were awesomely loud.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I saw this on LinkedIn earlier and truly hope it’s for real8087C9FB-7E57-4CBD-A9E6-93B40F7AC50E.jpegit’s Apparently the image on the right is just before being dropped in Arnhem and image on the left after the war in the same plane they deployed from. Incredible if it’s genuine

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ah ok, as fantastic as it is to think it’s genuine probably too perfect to be true. I’m going to keep the good thoughts though, cheered my day up no end!

Chelonian

Reaction score
I’m going to keep the good thoughts though, cheered my day up no end!
I think they are powerful and poignant images in their own right. More here:

KP208 is a 1946 C-47B which was given a new livery to represent KG374 (YS DM) which was shot down on 19 Sep 1944 while delivering supplies to Airborne Forces near Oosterbeek during Op Market Garden. The pilot of KG374 Ft Lt David ‘Lummy’ Lord was awarded a posthumous VC.
The C-47B was presented to Depot Para, Browning Barracks, Aldershot on 27 May 1970 and it was the ‘gate guard’ at that location until its relocation to Merville Barracks, Colchester.

Pictured in its Aldershot location during the 1970s:

depot.jpg