Things that amaze you/are awesome

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Wingzero, Oct 24, 2015.

1. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What sort of Landie do you have? There’s a few I would love to own.

Whats your experience with the Land Rover 101 forward control? I saw one converted as a camper.
    Same with a Pinzgauer. That would be an interesting project.

I am tempted to start a thread purely for Land Rovers haha.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Showing my age, but I can remember when HW had an A/Tks section to it and then had this to play with.

l6-wombat-120mm-recoilless-rifle.jpg

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Absolutely glorious!

4. Caversham

There was quite a lucrative market for the brass casings of these things. Called perks of the job! Certainly beat being in Mortar Troop, having to yomp with the base plate for an 81mm mortar, plus a few rounds, plus kit. Bad backs and crocked knees became a part of the job!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Mine's a series three, short wheel base, petrol, pick-up.
    The best tip I'd give anyone thinking about buying one is to contact a local owners' group. It's a good opportunity to learn a lot and get hands-on before deciding what model suits you best. Many owners' groups also run reasonably priced 4WD driving courses.

Since Defender production ceased just about all used models increased in price as did insurance because almost overnight their status shifted from agricultural bone-shaker to vintage county classic. :confused:

I know very little about the Forward Control vehicles except that many are fitted with peculiar MoD 24 volt electrics.

Pinzgauer sounds interesting but the parts are probably very expensive compared to any LR. I've hankered after a Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen. Driven a couple before. The clunky looks are an acquired taste but they're quality. Still in production today—their looks pretty much unchanged—this one is a 1989 model:

MB_G_Wagen_b.JPG
    Is that a Wombat? Who ever officially defined that lump as being a 'recoilless rifle'? It definitely black cats my pic of a jeep with a HMG. :)

The brass shell casings were indeed desirable. Unless one was being doubled (without beret and belt) around a drill square carrying it on one's shoulders. Several such casings passed through the Depot Para for that purpose but all were stolen and eventually replaced with a smallish log.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Caversham

Definitely a Wombat. Had a 7.62 sighting barrel on top and made an awfully loud bang when fired! It was also "portable" courtesy of a set of wheels that allowed you to manoeuvre it around. About as much use as the 84mm Carl Gustav!

Incidentally, its predecessor was the Mobat, which was very similar and no, it was not in service when I was in!

mobat.jpg

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  7. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    They launched an 'all new' G Wagen two weeks ago. It still looks the same :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

The feminisation of Land Rover continues with the new Defender.

land  rover dc110.jpg

Land Rover has recently gone on a brand suicide mission.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Apparently the new defender won't look like that because defender purists didn't like it :) that was just the 2011 DC100 concept

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

An alternative to a Landie might be an Alvis Stalwart. :)

alvis_stalwart.jpg

Had a few rides back in the day. A unique experience to feel seasick on Salisbury Plain. -vomit-

Six wheel drive, eight cylinder Rolls Royce engine, disastrous comic transmission. What's not to like? :)

Agreed. Arguably the rough-as-a-badger's butt LR Defender added much brand credibility to the gentrified models such as the Range Rover Evoque. In my personal experience women without dirt under their finger nails prefer arriving at a smart social event in an Evoque than in a beaten up LR pick-up. :( Even if the cab has been hosed out first.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

I managed to buy one of the last of the Discovery 4 models a year or so ago. The new ones drive nice (just been the the Land Rover course at Skipton a few weeks back) but it just doesn't look right.

When I was in the showroom, all the salesman kept saying was that once these have gone we are on to the new ones and nobody is happy about it. It could just have been a sales tactic, but I tend to believe that their customers were also passing on a similar message. Didn't matter if it was a sales tactic or not to be honest, it was genuinely the reason I went there before it was too late.

Anyway, another company that has shafted their core customer for some trendy part of society. Where have we seen that before?

#thisisbelonging :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The Disco 4 is a fine vehicle and personally I like their looks. But one problem with almost all iterations of LR and RR is that the first designs of both marques were just so easy on the eye in a confident, understated way.

The early 1970's Range Rovers, for example:

RR_Series_One_1970.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    My god those are sexy. I am sure I saw one on an auction site. It’s actually touching there’s all these blokes dedicated to keeping them going.

I really can’t see why they ditched the Defender, it was a workhorse, an icon, an absolute brilliant advert and vehicle. The thing is solid and easy to repair.
    I don’t want sh!t with computers and fancy stuff in it.
    I can’t see the point in half the gadgets and technology in my mates brand new Audi. It’s a huge distraction aswell.

I love the old Land Rover lightweights too. They look like beasts.

The old discovery was awesome they all just look the same now. I hate this new weird rounded look they all have. The old civic shape was decent too, and then it became the love child of a quaver and a spaceship.

• Like Like x 1
  14. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The discovery 5 does look a bit strange, it seems too narrow and the number plate is off centre at the back like the old one, but it doesn't suit the new shape. Sadly JLR have made some strange decisions recently. The velar is too expensive and hasn't sold as well as expected, they seem to overhype all their products, which leads to disappointment. The jaguar E pace seems too heavy and their new igneoum engines haven't been a great success. The press releases from the Land Rover chief designer (Gerry McGovern) they send to car magazines is so full of utter rubbish about premium ness and lifestyle etc that they are totally unreadable!

The MK1 Range Rover was an amazing design :)

It's a real pity they stopped making the Defender. Sadly however the defender was extremely labour intensive to produce, being essentially handmade. The very small sales figures did not justify the investment in safety and engineering required to continue selling the vehicle. Mercedes could justify continuation of the G-Wagon because it was a high profit item; Mercedes charge more for a G-Wagon than an S-Class. This makes small sales profitable. Jeep can continue to manufacture the wrangler because of strong US sales, cheap labour costs in the US and Fiat Chrysler can share parts with their pickup trucks. The defender had little sales impact outside the UK by 2015; traditionally strong African markets were lost in the 1990s or earlier to intense Japanese competition; the Suzuki 4x4s and Mitsubishi panjero, but particularly the land cruiser provided Land Rover capability but at a lower cost and with greater reliability. The Defender did not have access to one of the worlds biggest 4x4 markets because the lack of airbags meant the defender was discontinued in the US in the 1990s. Sadly the Defender became a niche product and Land Rover badly needed the factory capacity for far more profitable models like the Evoque and discovery. The Defender was too old and expensive to appeal to the mass market and not quite exclusive enough for the redicolously high prices Mercedes gets away with. The loss of the defender however means Land Rover don't have a genuine or honest car anymore, maybe they should have kept it as a loss leader
    :(

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  15. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    WMIKs, look ally to be on the mount, going round looking like king and ally as anything, giving a wink as you pass a fresher girl OTCer
    But f Me is it cold on the motorway... still feel it

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    "Unlike modern SUV's the defender CAN GO off road because it has the 3 main things. Big chunky wheels, ground clearance and if you get stuck you can just pull a lever and hear a big *GER-DOOSH* as a piece of metal moves.. And then you keep going" -Jeremy Clarkson

Defenders do have a special place in my heart that no jeep or G wagon can quite fill. Some day, I will have a 110 station wagon, some day...

• Like Like x 1
  17. News

News RSS Feed

They donated 3,300 hours so a German father could be with his four-year-old son who has cancer.

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 1
  18. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I recently discovered how fun it is carrying the mortar kit about haha sure i shaved a few years off my knees best before date doing that

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Speaking of landies...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. Seags98

Seags98 Member

App Stage: