Things that annoy you. Your rants.

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Yeah, but that's only because the criminals are keeping their heads down because word's got around that you're there mate.

Normal service will be resumed when you fly out. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Thanks for the tip. We will head there this evening.

• Like Like x 1
  3. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

The news coverage here is also asking serious questions about the gun laws, and are absolutely slating Trump! Posting footage of him attending a party In the hours after the shootings. I thought our news outlets were critical of him, but this is on another level!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    All other trump opinions aside, I could believe he took a photo with the Florida emergency services following the attack where he was grinning and giving the thumbs up.
    Whatever you think of his politics, he’s definitely a knob.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    The Leons in Soho does the same, defo go if you have the chance.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fibonarchie

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Americans saying ‘Brits are stupid, they don’t have guns and they have loads of stabbings!’

Yeah, no sh¡t but when’s the last time you heard of a mass school stabbing?

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Not a school. But the last London attack which had a 7 minute response time.

When the seconds count, the police are minutes away.

And considering that violent crime has been increasing exponentially since the 1996 gun ban.

10 per 100,000 are killed by guns in America.
    10 per 100,000 are killed by RTCs on American roads.

We have to ban cars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Fibonarchie

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I thought you’d bring up cars. There’s a difference. Cars fulfill an essential purpose and can be misused to harm people. Automatic weapons are only for killing lots of people quickly. And there were 3 attackers to kill around 10 people in the truck and stabbings combined as opposed to 1 kid killing 17 by himself.

You know my views on both weapons in general and American guns. I’m open to people with genuine arguments for weapons. The point of my post was it annoys me that people are trying to use some British people sometimes get stabbed to justify continued weapons. I understand the need to defend ones self from criminals with guns but no civilian really needs anything more than a handgun for self defence.

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It's an interesting topic. In a domestic defence situation a shotgun is—arguably—a far more effective weapon than a handgun.

As far as the USA is concerned, the problem is perhaps equally spread between the availability of firearms and the USA's institutionally toxic and self-destructive society. Two issues that should perhaps be simultaneously addressed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Fibonarchie

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Certainly it is, but only from a uniquely combat perspective. The average joe isn’t statistically that likely to be attacked so the portability offered by a hand gun (as opposed to, say, trouser legging a shotgun) I would venture outweighs the combat effectiveness of a shotgun. But a shotgun in the home definitely.

And therein perhaps is something of a compromise for the US. Big guns at home and the range, handguns outside?

• Like Like x 1
  11. its_meg

its_meg Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Late comment to this I know but from experience and speaking to some people...its a load of rubbish. Working in a warehouse is much harder than working on a shop floor or checkouts and if you work in a warehouse you get paid more due to the type of job it is plus extra during the unsociable hours often involved. You can be male or female and work in the warehouse...pay is the same. Difference being most women do not want to work in a warehouse or can't work the hours due to children etc or physically not capable of doing so. It isn't a discrimination in pay it is just a different pay bracket because the job is entirely different. The amount of people saying to me they are owed money by Tescos is just a joke. They obviously get told in the nicest way to leave...;)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

It's an interesting one.

My understanding is that employment law relating to equal pay is devisive because you can only claim pay inequality based on gender.

The issue isn't about gender, it is about the jobs and the courts appear to have decided the jobs are comparable in legal terms - meanining men & women doing either, should be on the same pay and rightly so. The fact that women or men predominently do one job or the other, is not the issue.

In other words a woman working in one job can only lodge a claim against a man doing an identical job, but paid less and vice-versa.

I had to lodge a similar complaint several years ago because people in my job were paid different wages dependent on what their rate of pay was in their previous unrelated job. To appeal, I had to find a female "test case" because employment law is otherwise content with unequal pay for people doing identical jobs in identical circumstances (rank/grade, experience, length of service, qualifications etc) if they are the same gender.

My case wasn't against the person or their gender, just equality of pay.

So far as I'm aware the 24 hour supermarkets still offer unsociable hours and involve moving stock in storerooms, besides working on the tills and manually stacking shelves. So far as I'm aware nowadays the moving of bulk stock in a warehouse doesn't involve much physical lifting and shifting by the individual unless you are breaking down the palleted stock to shift it - same as they do in the supermarkets, I'd imagine.

The bottom line is the argument between the outwardly different jobs and whether they are comparable, gender is not the actual issue as I understand it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cars fulfill a purpose, but what purpose does someone need a suped up car, with loads of horse power and the ability to go 0-60 in seconds?
    We must ban these assault cars, they look aggressive, the sound aggressive, and they are mean and nasty...

No one really needs any other car other than a ford mondeo.

I don’t need a Bow and Arrow but I still like to indulge in some archery. That’s nasty war machinery.

The last school shooting was with a semi automatic AR15. It wasn’t automatic. To own automatic weaponry in the US is a lot different to owning semi-automatic.

Now the Vegas shooter, used a bump stock, which effectively turned a semi-automatic fire weapon into an automatic fire. It was blatant manipulation of the law and has now been banned, and rightly so.

The problem also arises when the media whips people up into knee jerk frenzies. And gives the shooter the notoriety and makes them infamous and gives them the narcissistic attention they want.
    Or when the media doesn’t fully understand Weapons and bangs on about “assault weapons” when in actual fact it’s just the way they look and not about the mechanics of how they work.

It was amusing when a journalist tried to get a gun to show how easy it was, and promptly failed the background checks because of previous domestic abuse charges...

Now, violent crime has been increasing and has reached pretty high levels since the 1996 gun ban.
    In the UK, you can own high calibre Weapons, even a .50. With the correct screening, paperwork and assorted requirements. What use does someone.m have for a .50?

It’s a different attitude that British people can’t understand. But think of it like this, it’s illegal to carry a knife in the UK. Do people continue to get stabbed and is knife crime and violent crime still increasing? Yes. So instead of stopping people from defending themselves, allow them the right and ability to defend themselves.

If a woman doesn’t feel safe at night and makes/buys some form of pepper spray and uses it while being attacked, she is breaking the law and would be charged.

If you admit to carrying a certain type of torch with a shaped bezel for “self defence”, you will be arrested for possession of a weapon.

It’s madness. British police are for the first time voting in record numbers in favour of arming the Police. That’s incredible.

If you only allow hand guns, the criminals will use rifles.
    The point is, if you ban guns, you take away the ability for the law abiding citizen to defend themselves, and you drive the guns to the criminals, and if they can’t get a gun, they will get a knife, or a bat, or a spoon.

The USA was built in mistrust of government and the corrupt of power. And they didn’t want it to happen again, so they wrote it in the constitution that the people have the right to bear arms, and the right to a well regulated militia. And it shall not be infringed.

There’s numerous instances of guns being utilised to neutralise a threat to prevent a situation worsening or to stop a situation happening. There’s been instances of teachers preventing school shootings wit their own firearms, but you don’t hear it in the mainstream media because it defeats their own agenda.

Texas already has Armed teachers and Utah allows concealed weapons on campus. States with concealed and open carry have lower violent crime than states with strict gun laws.

You need to stop thinking of it like a Brit and start thinking of it as a Yank.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Welcome back! And agreed. It was a media kneejerk to whip everyone into a granola spitting frenzies and spill their soy everywhere.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Interestingly cars/vehicles are being deliberately used by terrorists to cause massed killings, but fatalities are in relatively small numbers. Car accident fatalities and the accidental negligent discharge of weapons are a comparable safety issue, however. The rampaging vehicle terrorist answer seems to be traffic control measures involving barriers and bollards rather than giving pedestrians vehicles and machetes to drive at terrorists and hack them to death in self-defence.

I heard an interesting analgy yesterday on the radio, but as TPA observes, it is a Brit rather than US take on it:

If a child in school hits another child with a stick, do you:

A) Take it off the the child or stop them carrying sticks?
    B) Give the other child a stick to hit back?
    C) Give the teacher a stick to hit the child with the stick?
    D) Give everyone a stick?

Arming teachers would simply mean the teacher gets shot first with an assault rifle, armed with a handgun. In fact, they would be the primary target but maybe that's the price they pay to protect their students.

The armed security guy at the school remained outside throughout. Some call him a coward, others observe that he should have died a hero in a hail of semi-automatic rounds whilst armed with an ineffectual, inadequate and inferior, but more convenient weapon system.

16. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Value. It's about value. Nothing to do with gender. Nothing to do with how hard the work is. It's to do with some judgement/law that requires jobs of equal value be equally paid.

And having said that with such autthority, I'm probably wrong.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, as ever, the media try to "femipulate" stuff to whip-up a furure...and increase Daily Mail circulation.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The sheer fun of shooting it! :) The rounds are expensive though.
    The debate about cropped up elsewhere recently in deer hunting circles. Apparently more UK citizens are applying for variations on firearms licences to own and shoot ·338 Lapua Magnum.

It will be interesting to see how this particular element of the incident pans out. The obvious response would have been for the officer to have charged in. But Police protocols might have stipulated that he wait for support before entering the building to confront an unknown armed threat. Either way he's been thrown under the bus already by his bosses.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Just to add, I hereby claim copyright on the word femipulate, defined as deliberately anti-feminist media manipulation.

There. You heard it here first. :)

• Like Like x 4
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I just checked Urban Dictionary and a search replied:

"There are no definitions for this word. Be the first to define it!"

I like Urban Dictionary. I've put a couple of my own definitions in over the years. :)

https://www.urbandictionary.com/

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1