Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Things that annoy you. Your rants.

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

My 'new' car :(

Screenshot_20190826_091003.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Ninja_Stoker To be honest I'd not have noticed. But once seen it can't be unseen! :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Rover

Rover Moderator

Allegedly.;)

4. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I think if you watch it again mate you’ll see a few flaws. He was allegedly arrested to prevent a breach of the peace, an incredibly archaic piece of common law that isn’t even a criminal offence. I think either the initial Bobby wanted to make a name for himself or he bottled it. If you plan on arresting everyone for that degree of antagonism then you best commandeer Wembley as the custody suite. Yes you have the power of arrest but you also have the far more powerful powers of discretion and common sense! Tactically he also had more chance of exasperating the situation by acting like that whilst also tying up a shed load of colleagues best placed elsewhere. And yes before you ask I was a copper with extensive public order and violent disorder experience

• Like Like x 3
  5. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    It’s impossible to apply a definitive to that, the default position should be to talk, defuse and manoeuvre. Putting hands on people is fine when engaging in conversation and helping them to leave a situation. I can’t express the use of discretion and common sense enough.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The new Land Rover “Pretender”.

Looks horrendous. Full of gadgets and crap you don’t need. And they are paying all these celebrities to suck up to it.

If I wanted that crap, I would buy a discovery or an evoque.

Well done Land Rover for screwing up a british icon.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  7. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    EXACTLY! It’s a discovery, except super ugly and crap. They’ve taken a dump on the defender’s name. Why didn’t they just keep selling proper ones?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Pictures of the new one remind me of a Suzuki Vitara on steroids. I guess that JLR knows its market. Or if it doesn't it isn't for want of throwing mega-bucks at researching it.

The classic, utilitarian Defender was a steady seller when in production and is now high on the list of vehicle thieves' wish lists. The insurance for my ancient, utilitarian, 90 pick-up has bumped up significantly in recent years.

@ThreadpigeonsAlpha I confess that I've always liked look of the Evoque. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a Chelsea tractor. Never driven one though.

9. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Active Member

I confess that I've always liked look of the Evoque. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a Chelsea tractor. Never driven one though.[/QUOTE]
    Avoid like the plague, design fault in the wheel hubs, reports of wheels coming adrift at speed, wheel nuts undoing turning it into a robin reliant, no duff!

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

But it's so pretty! :(

If I applied the same rational reasoning about functionality versus looks to personal relationships I'd never have dated the National Ballet talent in the 1990s who locked me into her flat at knifepoint until I eventually kicked down the door and sprinted to safety. No regrets though; it enlivened an otherwise dull Sunday morning.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Active Member

Ha ha,
    Is that’s what’s known as “Tough Love”?
    Not to mention Violent Entry!
    :)

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Violent Exit as I recall. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I am sorry to disagree but I actually quite like it! I like the basic shape bht i do wish they cut out some of the tech and shaved 5 to 10k of the price to appeal to a wider audience, its expensive and I am sure a Suzuki jimmy is an equally great off roader, will be cheaper at half the price and probably much more reliable. To be fair on land rover though most of the sales of the old defender towards the end of production went towards the 30/40k specced up versions because customers were buying it as an accessory as opposed to a farm implement, so you can't blame them really. Interestingly they went for the monoqoque as opposed to the sesperate chassis because the latter is supposedly better off road.
    It's a shame land rover has abandoned the lower end of the market which they used to fill with the freelander and it dosent make them very recession proof but I guess cars are expensive nowadays, there seems to be this real obsession with premiumness (you need nearly 18k to buy a decent fiesta now!) and I guess the new defender having over 200hp, alumium chassis, air suspension and quite a lot of kit for 40k dosent seem too outlandish compared to all the bmw and audis which seem to sell like hotcakes, I guess most of the farmers switched to buying hilux and Isuzu long time ago

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:00 PM
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Really?! It looks like a down syndrome discovery or an evoque! And the new discovery looks crap too. They all look the same nowadays! Although to be fair, I could get over the looks of the gadgets were less and it was more functional, rather than all the crap.

We both Definately agree on the gadgets or should have gone basic with it. But your right defender became less about the Farmers, and more about toffs and mums in a Chelsea tractor which in turn as ruined the second hand market as they are all horrendously over priced for what they are.

Yea farmers went the way of the pickup. But I love the 110 pick up. But I don’t get all these bloody gadgets and infotainment centres and crap, it’s huge distractions that can cause crashes. I think it’s just a case of the sales people putting huge spin on it and giving people what they think they want. And people are too stupid to stop and think.

And I bloody HATE electronic handbrakes!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Concur. I always thought the handbrake was meant to be a fully mechanical, independent method of stopping a vehicle.

Even the brake pads/shoes are held-off by a solenoid that fails-safe, if you have an electrical failure whilst on the motorway, it could get messy.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I completely agree about infotainment screens. Some new cars like the Citroen cactus even have some of the ventilation controls in the infotainment system which means you have to go through several menus just to stop the car steaming up! I don't think some of the car manufacturers will update these systems so after about 10 years they will be ridiculously slow and unusueable and if they break you are left with not being able to control lots of the features whereas if a button breaks on my old civoc I can just go on eBay and buy one for a few quid

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    images.jpeg-1.jpg miniclubmandr_4_560.jpg Also I have realised the new defender looks like the mini clubman from the back

• Like Like x 1
  18. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Standby for “Project Grenadier” a new venture by Ineos. The aim is to fill the gap that has left by the “old” defender.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ineos-confirms-bmw-engines-2021-projekt-grenadier-4x4

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

One good thing about the old analogue Land Rovers is that because they were marketed to parts of the world with extreme climates it's possible to buy heaters and demisters designed to cope with winter in northern Alaska.

Top tip: Heated seats of any flavour are a nightmare. The delicate heating elements fail and are disproportionately expensive to replace.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1