Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Things that annoy you. Your rants.

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

EE-the company that charges more for home Fibre Broadband, then provides a service which is twice as slow as your average 4G mobile phone network:

Screenshot_20191017_121727_org.speedspot.speedanalytics.jpg Screenshot_20191017_121852_org.speedspot.speedanalytics.jpg

It's actually more effective to tether your internet devices to your mobile phone, it seems.

2. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    My car failing it’s MOT and leaving me with what looks to be a *text deleted*ing massive bill to get it sorted.:mad:

3. Maths1

Maths1 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Deepest sympathies. Been there, got the bill, still cheaper than buying another car, perhaps. How do the figures out? Toyota Avensis £1,000 as it is in Yorkshire ot the repair bill. My Mother in Law has been told to stop driving so the car is going.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Everyone's circumstances differ but advice from personal experience:

1. Confiscate car keys immediately.
    2. Sell car tomorrow.

It sounds harsh but it's often the best option.

5. Maths1

Maths1 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    We have taken car, keys, papers the lot. Funnily enough, she seems quite relieved to no longer have the responsibility and is covering the drive in potted plants!

• Like Like x 2
  6. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Waiting on a quote from the garage but as a young driver with a lot of outgoings in comparison to my income, it’s not looking too handsome! If it’s a lot of money I’ll just have to get rid and start riding my bike to work, every little helps with phys and all that right?

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

That's good. Driving is a big privilege to give up but it's often easier if someone else makes the decision. My old pa was relieved when he stopped driving but not as relieved as I was.
    Potted succulents are an interesting choice; very low maintenance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Maths1

Maths1 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Unlike the Mother in Law

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  9. Maths1

Maths1 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Getting cold for that, - 7 here.

10. JWJ

JWJ Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Being told that Remembrance is racist and celebrates the use of non-white soldiers to white gain, only remembering white British soldiers and not those from around the world, esp. the former colonies.

Trying to explain that whilst racism and segregation were unfortunately part of western society in the post war period, remembrance is about remembering all soldiers and civilians killed in wartime, regardless of nation, ethnicity, cause, politics etc; just to be told it doesn't matter what I say as 'afterall you're white, the education system has failed you'.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Those who suggest that Remembrance Day is nationalist or racist are missing the point

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm afraid to admit I was deeply upset in that seminar. But I knew that nothing I could say would dent the individual's shield of ignorance, but the thought that this is a view pedalled today is deeply upsetting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maths1

Maths1 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Surely who ever gave that lecture is unbelievably biased, racist and blinkered. It sounds appalling and the sort of twaddle that stokes resentment. That sort of biase causes all sorts of trouble, can you report it to anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  14. JWJ

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    The seminar leader was delivering a seminar on the topic of tolerance and different political and philosophical aspects towards it.

The remarks were coming from two 'BAME' students when I brought up the topic that the student union nor university had not even mentioned the event let alone marked the occasion.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Well, they are entitled to express their opinion. I think that it's healthy to have one's views challenged. In a philosophical debate it's almost mandatory.

In such circumstances it would have been difficult for those students to rebut the argument that the sacrifice of others had bestowed upon them the privilege and right to publicly demote Remembrance Sunday.

Perhaps the tutor might have pointed out the possible flaws in their argument?

• Like Like x 3
  16. Maths1

Maths1 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I think that things could have been handled differently. It leaves a nasty taste in the mouth when the sacrifice and suffering that is remembered is any way denigrated.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A tax on unimaginative blokes, who may think chocolate is the solution...

Screenshot_20191125_192814_com.android.chrome.jpg
    The same thing...
    Screenshot_20191125_192552.jpg

It gets better...

Screenshot_20191125_192323_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Ah yes, the improbably slim Alexandra gazes lovingly upon her 4.5 kg chocolate bar. :eek:

A tax on unimaginative blokes should also apply to those men who buy a discounted bunch of weary carnations from a petrol station in the hope that their missus will immediately forgive them for copping off with the missus' sister. :)

19. Maths1

Maths1 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Poor Alexandra, shortly to piling on the pounds. Bet she doesn't share it!

20. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    She can work it off by bench pressing the damn thing.