Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Things that annoy you. Your rants.

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Maths1

Maths1 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Brilliant!

2. Clueless!

Clueless! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical

But would you share? I certainly wouldn’t haha

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

• Like Like x 6
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

'Gender dysphoria versus body dysmorphia.'
    As the phrase goes: "It's complicated."

I don't pretend that I understand a very complex issue but if a person is so convinced that their healthy arm should be amputated scepticism and exhaustive mental health investigation predominates to protect that person's interests. Few medical professionals fear that they might be labelled 'limb phobic' for opposing someone's choice to lop off healthy limbs.

On the other hand (no pun intended) a court might rule that such a decision has been made by someone who has adequate mental capacity and should not be denied. :confused:

• Seen Seen x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Quite. There's no 'i' in team, but a slack-handful in 'individual brilliance'. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

The Royal Navy and Royal Marines Charity have succumbed to the PC Brigade and posted a Happy Holidays GIF on their FB page! They've taken a fair bit of stick from people who have reminded them that it's still ok to say Happy Christmas .:mad::mad:

80536419_3376843718997425_2024820833725186048_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The apparently irresistible urge to post details of one's every activity on Twitter.

The RSPCA is 'investigating' after a prominent lawyer said he killed a fox with a baseball bat when it was discovered attacking his chickens. It might well have been a reasonable action but why would anyone immediately broadcast such an incident on Twitter?

Screenshot 2019-12-27 at 08.05.57.png

"Giving further details, Mr Maugham said he had been wearing his wife's "too small green kimono" and nursing a hangover at the time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50919...CCe2ININ3W3RBFnPTkUX1YmaYXc25VB1iKivy3RSw4tcA

• Like Like x 1
  8. DJANGO

DJANGO Valuable Contributor

What annoys me is the Americanisation of our culture! Why didn't he use a cricket bat, Which anyone can see is a superior fox-whacker

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The same thought crossed my mind.

It appears that Jolyon has a well established reputation for starting arguments in empty rooms.
    There is a fair possibility that the 'fox' is non-existent.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Daylight bloody running lights.

What a steaming heap of EU turd.

Either lights on, or lights off. End of. Instead of seeing these bloody *text deleted*s with no lights on, driving around in the dark. Thinking their stupid day running lights actually work.

Even seen a few emergency service vehicles do it!

And if you drive with just sidelights and fog lights on, or indeed use your fog lights when you don’t need to, please find the busiest road you can and play with the traffic.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Apparently it's legit to kill a trapped animal humanely, however relating the graphic method in which one crushes it's skull is almost certainly going to irk those who fail to accept the savagery of nature.

The ill-fitting kimono? Unforgivable.

However, it's not clear whether it fitted his wife or himself poorly and for that, we should be grateful.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DJANGO

DJANGO Valuable Contributor

I've got a crappy 12 year old Renault Clio with automatic headlights in and they are the *text deleted*ing bane of my life.

I switched it to manual mode and it's even frigging worse! Start the car, and they're on- despite the switch being off. Turn the switch on- lights off. Smash head into steering wheel several times, flick switch on and off for ten minutes, nothing. Curse the French and their merde cars. Lights come on. Lights go off. Absolute dog turd.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I think that it's a fair topic for debate.

In fairness to Dulwich and Winchester colleges there is no evidence to suggest that either institution would accept a bursary which is exclusive to any ethnic group: white, black or eskimo.
    Both schools apparently offer supported scholarships (based upon academic merit) to applicants from all ethnic and cultural origins.

Obviously other educational institutions operate differently. Hopefully Prof Sir Brian Thwaites will find another school which will happily accept his generous, conditional bursary just as a Cambridge university college accepted that from 'Stormzy'.

Edited to add: Any nervousness on the part of individual educational establishments which decline conditional bursaries has been lamented by Trevor Phillips who is Deputy chairman of the board of the National Equality Standard:

Trevor Phillips, former chair of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, described poor white boys as "today's educational left-behinds".

Writing in the online magazine Standpoint, he added: "I've been asked to advise on whether it is acceptable to offer bursaries or scholarships to one minority group or another.

"Invariably, I have said yes; but donors remain nervous, and beneficiary institutions are routinely discouraged by their lawyers."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ivate-schools-turn-donors-1m-offer-help-poor/

• Seen Seen x 1
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  15. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi chaps,

I’ve recenty come across an ongoing twitter debate, discussing whether or not the “new decade” has started, or whether it starts in 2021.

I say it’s already started. The year 2000 was not part of the 1990s!?

Help!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It's arguable. If one believes that the year 'zero' existed we are supposedly at the start of a new decade in January 2020.

But is 'zero' a number or a value? When I was a boy we were taught to count "One, two, three..." but I have met young children who count "Zero, one, two, three...".

It would be interesting to get an opinion from those who know about proper counting. :)
    Perhaps @Maths1 and @Parhelia if they spot this.

17. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @Chelonian

Hmm. I suppose if you count back 20 years (2 decades) you get to the year 2000!

Next think someone’s going to tell me the new millennium started in 2001 haha!

This could be the most divisive topic of the decade. ;)

18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It was a hotly debated topic in some circles at the time. :)

19. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I’m too young to remember ;)

So what was the consensus?

20. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Just reread this. Yes I too was taught to count 1, 2, 3...

I suppose it could be argued that 2010 was the first year of the 2010’s, therefore the first year of the decade?

Food for thought.

I’m sure Vox will do an “explained” video if they haven’t already haha!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020