Things that annoy you. Your rants.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I suppose it could be argued that 2010 was the first year of the 2010’s, therefore the first year of the decade?
If counting from 'one' 2011 was, arguably, the first year of the 2010s decade and 2020 the last.
Time, like romantic love, is an abstract concept. :)

In language one often encounters 'prescriptive grammarians' which is the polite term for what everyone else calls 'bloody annoying grammar nazis'. I don't know for certain but I'd wager that the same condition exists with numbers.

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
In language one often encounters 'prescriptive grammarians' which is the polite term for what everyone else calls 'bloody annoying grammar nazis'. I don't know for certain but I'd wager that the same condition exists with numbers.
“Number commies” :D

Parhelia

Reaction score
It would be interesting to get an opinion from those who know about proper counting. :)
Perhaps @Maths1 and @Parhelia if they spot this.
Loving the term "proper counting".

January 2020 marks the start of the new decade.

Regarding how this relates to counting and the 'do we start counting numbers from zero, one, two, three or one, two, three' issue, consider how you measure something with a ruler: you start measuring from the 0 mark, not 1. :)
@Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding how this relates to counting and the 'do we start counting numbers from zero, one, two, three or one, two, three' issue, consider how you measure something with a ruler: you start measuring from the 0 mark, not 1. :)
Never thought about it like that! The same could be said for time keeping, as in a race, the gun goes at 0:00:00, not 0:00:01!

Bravo!

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Loving the term "proper counting".

January 2020 marks the start of the new decade.

@Harry McRunFast
Some blokes might see a tactical advantage in starting from 1 on a ruler...

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My sons school is unbelievable! He's been dragged in and told to submit a ucas application. He's never expressed any desire to go to uni or college. They've told him that he's only 17 and he might think he wants to be a royal marine but how can he know at 17. It's all he's wanted since high school started! Why is it okay for them to sign up to uni but not the armed forces!

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Why is it okay for them to sign up to uni but not the armed forces!
Because it affects rankings in leagues/tables for different education metrics probably. How many signed up/applied/been successful etc.

If he refuses back him up.

Is there not a personal monetary cost involved in a ucas application also?

Chelonian

Reaction score
They've told him that he's only 17 and he might think he wants to be a royal marine but how can he know at 17.
The logic of their argument equally supports the notion that as he is only aged seventeen how can he know that he wants to engage in further education? :confused:

I suspect that @corvus might be correct in thinking that league tables or other metrics might be behind the pressure. I took a quick squiz at the UCAS website and there is mention of a deadline of 15 January.

Feel free to direct your lad's school or college to this thread:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/apprenticeship-training-at-ctcrm.115777/

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Because it affects rankings in leagues/tables for different education metrics probably. How many signed up/applied/been successful etc.

If he refuses back him up.

Is there not a personal monetary cost involved in a ucas application also?
The school he goes to regularly quotes how many kids went to uni. They never back that up with how many graduate. They're all about bragging rights. As for the cost, it's £25 per application and they're advised to put in at least 2 choices. He actually came home with the stuff them attitude. He's even keener now to get through his application and get started.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
@Chelonian that is exactly what I thought. At 17, he can drive, get married, buy cigarettes, have kids and a wealth of other life threatening activities :D.

Chelonian

Reaction score
He actually came home with the stuff them attitude.
Perhaps he could write a polite, respectful letter to the school explaining that he is in a recruitment process for a career which has both short term and long term educational opportunities?

If the school insists that he spends £25 of his own money to register with UCAS perhaps he could mention in the letter that he will also write to the Local Education Authority to request that it specifies which legal instrument compels him to register. :)

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My kid is blessed with the ability to make money vanish so I'd have to pay it and that's a no from me. He's going to speak to them tomorrow to reinforce that he is already a significant way down the recruitment process which was done after a lot of research and attending events to get information, much like the process of applying to uni. Difference is, he'll get paid and have a job at the end.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Again, further education beyond age 16 is a lucrative business for the academic world and is pretty much a self-licking lollipop when viewed from those who wish to earn a wage rather than rack-up a debt, sooner rather than later.

There are several ways of looking at it. Some want to enjoy university with the life experience associated and gain a degree by age 21, others opt for the vocational route, driven by choice, necessity or circumstances.

The educational establishment, in the main is seemingly of the opinion that only academic under-achievers leave full time education from Year 11 and they are very wrong in that assumption. But then again, there's little to be gained when arguing the toss with a person that thinks they know better than the students they failed to inspire.

Chelonian

Reaction score
The educational establishment, in the main is seemingly of the opinion that only academic under-achievers leave full time education from Year 11 and they are very wrong in that assumption.
Agreed. I'm enthusiastic about education. Not only that which leads directly to enhanced employment opportunities but education which might 'only' enrich and enhance one's life.

But many educational institutes seem focused only on the procedure of education: targets, league tables, exam achievements, etc. For sure these factors are important to the school or college but too often they apparently over ride what is best for the individual student.

Skullface

Reaction score
Old hates
1. *text deleted*ing Cats
2. Wannabe "gangsters" and tough guys
3. Most music after 2000
4.People who can't even do one push up and say exercise is too hard
New Hates
1. my immediate family(females) throwing shade my way in the form of "why try waste you life in the royal marines/armed forces? you're too smart for that", forgetting that my dad is a retired military engineer.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50599080

Never heard of her! He’s an overpaid doorknob though.

Instead of worrying about her pay, why in the name of Odin’s pubes, is Jeremy Vine getting paid £3000 an episode for points of view?!

The biggest injustice of all this rubbish is the realisation of how much we are spending on their damn wages!

The TV license is theft, and a joke!

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50599080

Never heard of her! He’s an overpaid doorknob though.

Instead of worrying about her pay, why in the name of Odin’s pubes, is Jeremy Vine getting paid £3000 an episode for points of view?!

The biggest injustice of all this rubbish is the realisation of how much we are spending on their damn wages!

The TV license is theft, and a joke!
And don’t even start me on Alan Carr:mad:

CallMeLucifer

Reaction score
Mine is the way people speak.

My primary peeves are people that continuously say things such as "Like" and "You know what I mean? / Y'know". Also, "Innit", "bruv" and all the other chav slang.