Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Things that annoy you. Your rants.

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Ninja_Stoker, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

There is a lot of hostility towards Miss Thunberg. Or Saint Thunberg as some style her. The hostility is quite complex and perhaps cannot be pinned on a single reason.

Some of the hostility is arguably just vocal scepticism but there are definitely hints of misogyny from some quarters.

Perhaps her argument isn't helped by those irritating, hypocritical celebs who earn a living by being 'woke' and associate themselves with her. I like to think that she sees through this and merely uses them to promote her mission.

Swerving off Miss Thunberg, I agree with @Fibonarchie that critical thinking and debate requires open minds and this is something lacking in society. All schools should promote rational debate as a part of the national curriculum. The Extinction Rebellion kid should be arguing the case for China exploiting fossil fuel energy and the atheist kid arguing the case for monotheistic religion.

2. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Valuable Contributor

How about 10 men

3. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

@Chelonian & @Fibonarchie

Yes I totally agree. Trouble is, in the age of instant media, it’s far too easy to skip past ideas that challenge us, that which we hold close, and that which we value; this is certainly a shame!

4. Harry McRunFast

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

In fairness to the store staff why would they attempt to stop a determined robbery?

They are employed to sell product and process sales, not to enforce security. If the retail company wants to address such robberies it should take adequate steps to do so.

Staff or a member of the public chopping down one of these oiks is likely to regret what they misguidedly considered to be a 'publicly spirited and honestly motivated' reaction.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Harry McRunFast

I totally agree. It would be foolish for anyone to try and take them on. There’s far too many of them, and they are armed with what look like some decent sized knives.

The bit that did it for me was the lack of anything that covered their faces. It’s sets a precedent for those who wish to do this in the future; a precedent that suggests there is nothing to fear.

I suppose I can kind of relate to it too, which is why I think it annoyed me! The area I live in has in recent years had an increase in antisocial behaviour and violent crime. Beatings, stabbing, and even armed robberies (firearms, although fairly rare) have all been happening more frequently.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sharpe

sharpe Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    As brazen as it seems it’s not exactly new, football casuals from the 80s often acquired their gear with a bit of mobbing and robbing. Steaming was widespread in the 90s onwards. I think all that’s really changed is social media now makes it so easy for people to see it. If it’s any consolation that same social media will ensure a 6am visit from @Johnny_Anonie and his mates

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Harry McRunFast

@sharpe

Ah yes, I’m aware of that whole scene!

@Johnny_Anonie what is the deal for members of the public being heroic in situations like this? Legal repercussions etc?

9. sharpe

App Stage:
    Parent
    I’m in no way advocating you donning a Batman costume and hitting the streets on a crime fighting campaign. That said everybody has a power of arrest if they see someone committing an arrestable offence. You are also legally entitled to use reasonable force to effect it. The extra powers the police have are around suspicion of an arrestable offence being committed and suspicion of a person committing an arrestable offence. Bottom line is leave it to the pros unless circumstances dictate absolutely necessity to step in

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

11. Harry McRunFast

Interesting. I assume this legislation is still in place...

I wonder if harsher punishments would really act as a deterent, or just prove to be disproportionate.

12. sharpe

App Stage:
    Parent
    Is that in relation to my post? If so it’s a fundamental of law and I hope not about to change anytime soon!

13. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

@Harry McRunFast

You can use force legally in certain circumstances.

Section 3, Criminal Law Act 1967 states:
    “A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime, or in the effecting or assisting in the lawful arrest of offenders or suspected offenders, or of persons unlawfully at large”

Common Law also recognises that there may be circumstances in which you may inflict violence on another, without committing a crime. The advice is that unless it is absolutely necessary to defend yourself or others from serious harm- do not risk your own safety. You will have to able to justify any action you take as reasonable, proportionate and necessary in the circumstances.

A “citizen's arrest” can be lawfully carried out on any person under section 24A of PACE. But only for certain crimes (indictable)

The law states a citizen’s arrest can be carried out to the prevent an offender:

• Causing physical injury to himself or any other person
    • Suffering physical injury
    • Causing loss of or damage to property
    • Making off before a constable can assume responsibility for him.
    These powers are invalid if a Constable is present.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  14. Harry McRunFast

No, sorry. I was reacting to the article that @Chelonian shared.

But I am with you three!

15. Harry McRunFast

@Johnny_Anonie

Thanks, very informative!

I certainly shan’t be sticking my nose in where it doesn’t belong, but it is still nice to know.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The 'decriminalisation' of some retail theft applies to goods with a value less than £200 but it's a clear signal that commercial, insured retail loss is not high on the list of priorities which arguably emboldens thieves.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  17. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

B4673B46-149F-418D-94B2-EF061F404B2E.jpeg

Knock knock.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  18. sharpe

App Stage:
    Parent
    Sadly not legislation but a chronic lack of resources to be able to deal with retail theft. A few years ago my old force had dedicated town centre beat teams that not only dealt with reactivate shoplifting incidents but proactively went after them. The staple arrest for probationary constables was always shoplifters, great way to learn getting hands on. All pretty much gone, absolutely the right thread for this subject because it absolutely is a thing that annoys me. Rants

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. Harry McRunFast

:D:D:D

20. Harry McRunFast

Yes, 20,000 fewer police officers has clearly taken its toll, a 14% reduction if the statistics I’m reading are correct.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1