Things that annoy you. Your rants.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm astonished that nobody appears to have been annoyed by anything since April so I'll kick off with this one:

My current irritation is how university students are being infantilised by the media.
These young adults are apparently already dripping about the threat to a Christmas break at home and they've only been at university for one week! Some haven't even arrived at university.

In contrast there are Commonwealth Recruits at CTCRM who have not had an opportunity to see their families since the beginning of 2020. I'm unaware of any media concern about their welfare. Probably because they are just cracking on with life during the current public health emergency rather than weeping like attention-seeking children from the windows of their accommodation blocks for the benefit of a TV crew.

The apparent threat to the 'mental health' of university students created by not being able to engage in a traditional alcohol and drug fuelled shag-fest Freshers' Week undermines the notion of mental health. Just a personal opinion.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm astonished that nobody appears to have been annoyed by anything since April so I'll kick off with this one:

My current irritation is how university students are being infantilised by the media.
These young adults are apparently already dripping about the threat to a Christmas break at home and they've only been at university for one week! Some haven't even arrived at university.

In contrast there are Commonwealth Recruits at CTCRM who have not had an opportunity to see their families since the beginning of 2020. I'm unaware of any media concern about their welfare. Probably because they are just cracking on with life during the current public health emergency rather than weeping like attention-seeking children from the windows of their accommodation blocks for the benefit of a TV crew.

The apparent threat to the 'mental health' of university students created by not being able to engage in a traditional alcohol and drug fuelled shag-fest Freshers' Week undermines the notion of mental health. Just a personal opinion.
Yep! Funny how when they are kicking and screaming trying to get involved in world issues they have no idea about, they want to be treated like adults.

But when it comes to personal accountability and responsibility or financial issues or not being able to go see mummy and daddy to do their washing every week, they kick off, play the victim and want to be treated like kids.

I’ve had a few girlfriends and mates at uni and whenever I’ve been to visit or stay, it seems like a total jolly. Even got to sneak in on some lectures and presentations. Uni is the biggest scam. The first year is barely a duty attend as it is. Problem is, you have a lot of young people With not a lot experience being thrown together without adult supervision for the first time in their life.

Stop whining, wind your necks in, get on with It, you are still getting free money, discounts and rent refunded. When there’s families scraping together, lost jobs, they don’t get discounts, refunds of rent or mortgages, or free money.

At least you lot in England don’t have to pay for these total doorknobs to get a “free” education.

Charlesg97

Reaction score
People who spend 5 minutes between sets because they're scrolling through Twitter

People who lie down in an already crowded sauna

Village folk who violently wave their hands about because you're doing 35 in a 30, mind your own business!

*text deleted**text deleted*heads who don't wear a face mask!

HoldFoldEm

Reaction score
The current trend of making yourself victimized for attention -

Recently in Malta there was a robbery gone wrong which led to two people being murdered, one lad was arrested and the Times (Maltese Times), snapped a picture of his arrest, with a description 'Police leading the heavily tattooed man out of the building he was etc.. etc..'

I kid you not there was a gigantic response on Maltese social media from other fellow tattoo'd persons about how wrong it is to describe him as heavily tattooed and it's discriminating against them.

Silly sentences like -

'If he's heavily tattooed, I'm so much much more than him, am I suspicious now tooo?'

Sentences which provide more information about the author than the actual event itself'.

In this situation, he could have been described as to his 'Stature' or 'Nationality' or even 'His hairstyle' and a storm on Social media still would have erupted, it just riles me up that people would use these situations as a social boost or attention-seeking event. Vanity overcoming sensibility and especially overcoming your ability to not react to every scenario in your life..

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score

My wife is totally convinced that I have really turned into a Grumpy Old Fecker, especially as I’ve now taken to shouting at the TV, or car radio about the latest fiasco with these students.
They are apparently now being denied the “total uni experience“, whatever the freaking hell that is. I always thought that you went to uni to learn, gain a degree and then get a better start in the jobs market. Apparently not.

Part of this experience is as @Chelonian describes it, an alcohol and drug fuelled shag fest, for which because they cannot do it their whole life is now in ruins, because they have to sit and learn on line. Well whoopy do! How the hell do they think people have been obtaining degrees with the Open University For the past decades! Spiritual intervention.

I guarantee that in 3 years this bunch of tossers will be crying and whinging that because of all this their mental health was so badly affected that they will have to have their degrees awarded by assessment.

Going for a beer!

GOF.

Chelonian

Reaction score
In fairness to many university students much of this nonsense is being driven by the media. But the relentless imposition of victim status on some who are merely inconvenienced demotes the hardship of those who truly are disadvantaged.

And as for the "alcohol and drug fuelled shag-fest" there is no truth in the rumour that I am merely bitter because I wasn't invited to attend myself. Rant over.

CallMeLucifer

Reaction score
One of my friends is attending, and I've been told they aren't allowed to leave their dorms. Probably quite an issue if you have a part time job,too.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I really hate the media bias and false narratives pushed by journalists.

The debate lastnight was embarrassing. What on earth were the democrats thinking with Joe Biden.

The NYtimes article debunks their own claims that trump only paid $750 in tax.
It then goes on and proves he paid over $5million in tax.

But there’s not a peep about Bloomberg paying a total of $6million to pay off the criminal fines of 31000 criminals in Florida, in order for them to be able to vote. And told them to vote for Biden.

I’m by no means a fan of Trump but the obvious media bias is unreal. It’s just a constant attack on him rather than policies and issues.

Anyone else notice how it looks like Biden is using a teleprompter... he’s been caught doing it before in interviews...

Last edited:

Chelonian

Reaction score
The debate lastnight was embarrassing. What on earth were the democrats thinking with Joe Biden.
I remain astonished that the USA (population of over 330 million) ever settled on Clinton and Trump for the 2016 election. Was that as good as it got? This year's Democratic challenger has only one credential: he's not Trump. They both flag up concerns about age-related mental defects. -banghead-

The sitting president almost always gets re-elected so based on that alone Trump has it in the bag. If that annoys the BBC it will make me happy.

I don't buy the claim made by some of my Republican friends that Trump rescued the economy. He just hasn't yet screwed up the healthy legacy he inherited from Obama. But for all his bluster, boasting and outright dishonesty he hasn't yet started any expensive wars.

The fundamental error people make with Trump is that they pay too much attention to what he says. In contrast what he actually does is very moderate.

aliens-do-exist

Reaction score
I love your descriptive narrative!! That made me cry to think of my Nod weeping from his accomodation block over summer leave. but i believe that there was an alcohol fest in the TT quarters!!