Things you wish you knew before

Magpie0801

Reaction score
Any tips or kit requirements which you wish you had at the beginning of training, my son has just started RMC training at Lympstone with Christmas heading our way wondered if anyone could recommend any kit that they wish they had back in the training days.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Any tips or kit requirements which you wish you had at the beginning of training, my son has just started RMC training at Lympstone with Christmas heading our way wondered if anyone could recommend any kit that they wish they had back in the training days.
There tends to be a string of "must haves" (for MUST, read: 'nice to haves') throughout recruit training but the tip is don't send anything unless his training team have specifically permitted the troop to use that particular item. You can then give as presents during Christmas Leave and he can choose which bits and bobs can go back with him. A few suggestions:

• The most common thing is the good old ironing board - boring but vital. Heavy duty if possible, some are flimsy & easily broken.
  • A half-decent Steam Iron may also be desired but I'd caution against getting the very best available until they stop getting broken.
  • A plain old Casio F91W digital watch or two is always handy (they are a tenner). The mandatory, sophisticated but chunky watch beloved of Royal Marines is usually very costly and a cheaper one still tells the same time and causes less heartbreak when lost or damaged.
  • Jetboils seem very popular, but can cost a bomb. Shop around.
  • Leatherman or Gerber multi-tools are always popular - that's the handy thing about Royal Marines, they are always ready to extricate Boy Scouts from horse's hooves, change fuses in plugs, tighten spokes on bikes, whittle wooden tentpegs out of clothespegs AND, they can usually drive trucks, so a few Yorkie bars always go down well in that Red Cross parcel

Chelonian

Reaction score
Any tips or kit requirements which you wish you had at the beginning of training,

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream; a non-greasy, durable hand moisturiser. Apply liberally during the working day. Apply again at night. Hands take a battering in RT. Time spent pampering them is time well invested.

Industrial strength 'marigold' dish wash gloves because there will be a lot of hand washing.

Liquid wash (not powder) for hand washing of clothing.

None of the above are remotely glamorous but genuinely useful. :)

Mikej85

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Your son will proberly come home at Christmas with a lost of things he needs or his training team are allowing them to use ither now or later in training.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely moisturiser. My nod noticed how bad his hands were within a couple of weeks of hand washing his gear. He likes the norwegian one. The marigolds will help with that as well. Also getting into a routine of pampering his feet. If he learns this, his feet will thank him. Upon the advice given here, mine has the cheap casio with a nato strap. He had the normal strap but it broke on Hunters moon.
I'm fairly soon it won't be too long before you get the 'could you send me.......' message.

Magpie0801

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips, appreciated. No doubt I will be sending parcels on a regular basis :)

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Decent foot powder and hand moisturiser are a must, anything else they need can be picked up in the shop at CTC. Maybe a £50 Dutchy voucher !!!