Thinking about rejoining. Thoughts?

Figgers

Reaction score
Hope this is in the right place, anyway.

So I left recruit training over a year ago and I'm thinking about rejoining. A bit of background, I was in training a total of 13 months and spent around 7/8 of them in hunter for various reasons. I was never the best recruit struggled with phys. (Stopped any real training after prmc, big mistake!)

I didn't have a good run of it I failed gym pass out and baptist run and in and amongst I was huntered twice one with a shoulder injury (3 months in hunter!) and 3 days back in a troop I badly injured my ankle, spent 3 months in hunter for then to hand my chit in and leave.

Anyway left on week 14 and now keep thinking about rejoining. More and more recently. What's everyone's thoughts, it would be a big risk for me but i feel like it's something I need to do.

Deleted

Reaction score
Go for it!
What's your phys like at the minute? Have you been training or just let yourself go since leaving?
If you feel like it's something you need to do, then do it! Instead of wondering 'what if' for the rest of your life.
If you made it through all the medical,pjft,PRMC and got onto RT once you can do it again. This time you'll be a bit older and hopefully wiser and a bit more driven.
How old are you now?
As long as your injuries don't physically stop you, it's mainly your head telling you to stop. Sometimes you've got to tell yourself to STFU and Get through it.
Good luck whatever your decision.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
When you left, were you given the option of returning? If so, are you absolutely sure you have come to terms with all your shortcomings, particularly the mindset?

I'm fairly sure that if you are able to rejoin you will not be able to opt out and will have to complete a period of service, several years?, before being allowed to leave. @Ninja_Stoker will be able to confirm.

Good luck to you

Alan

Figgers

Reaction score
When you left, were you given the option of returning? If so, are you absolutely sure you have come to terms with all your shortcomings, particularly the mindset?

I'm fairly sure that if you are able to rejoin you will not be able to opt out and will have to complete a period of service, several years?, before being allowed to leave. @Ninja_Stoker will be able to confirm.

Good luck to you

Alan

Cheers, I didn't discuss the return time if I'm honest. Which leads me to believe it would be 2 years.

Yeah I know I wouldn't be able to leave as there is no opt out. This would probably be better as knowing I couldn't leave would probably motivate me more!

Not sure about coming to terms with it, just got that niggling in my mind.

Go for it!
What's your phys like at the minute? Have you been training or just let yourself go since leaving?
If you feel like it's something you need to do, then do it! Instead of wondering 'what if' for the rest of your life.
If you made it through all the medical,pjft,PRMC and got onto RT once you can do it again. This time you'll be a bit older and hopefully wiser and a bit more driven.
How old are you now?
As long as your injuries don't physically stop you, it's mainly your head telling you to stop. Sometimes you've got to tell yourself to STFU and Get through it.
Good luck whatever your decision.

Phys, not good. If I decided again I would have to train a lot!

I'm 24 now, it's a big decision really! Just wanted others thoughts. Thanks for the input!

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

So I left recruit training over a year ago and I'm thinking about rejoining. A bit of background, I was in training a total of 13 months and spent around 7/8 of them in hunter for various reasons. I was never the best recruit struggled with phys. (Stopped any real training after prmc, big mistake!)

I didn't have a good run of it I failed gym pass out and baptist run and in and amongst I was huntered twice one with a shoulder injury (3 months in hunter!) and 3 days back in a troop I badly injured my ankle, spent 3 months in hunter for then to hand my chit in and leave.

Anyway left on week 14 and now keep thinking about rejoining. More and more recently. What's everyone's thoughts, it would be a big risk for me but i feel like it's something I need to do.

Only you can answer that question.

Everyone struggles in RT, that’s the whole point.
If you decide to go for it, you know where you went wrong and can learn from those mistakes.
It is possible, I know a few lads who did similar to you, and ended up passing out.

Deleted

Reaction score
Phys, not good. If I decided again I would have to train a lot!

I'm 24 now, it's a big decision really! Just wanted others thoughts. Thanks for the input!
Same age as me, we are still young. Crack on with the phys.
All comes down to how bad you want it, doesn't it. Stay on the forum, let us know how you get on.

Reactions: JWJ

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

I always wanted to be in the marines since I was young and applied when I was 16 had to wait a few years to mature up a bit (kicked out school)
So I applied to the army straight after at 16 I was at army basic training got to like week 12/13 and left due to having my 1st gf at the time and getting homesick aswell as a close family member passing when I was at training so wasn’t easy so I left.

I’m 28 now and at pjft stage of so yea it’s a lot later than what I wanted but I don’t *text deleted* get in my 30s and be to old to apply for something I’ve always wanted and look back on it with regret.

What I’m trying to say is if you want it go for it again the fittest person in the troops who excels at everything could get injured out of the blue it’s not based on how fit you are are how smart you are it helps of course but it’s about just digging in and not giving up.Id never have thought about this 10 years ago the mentality side of things but I guess that’s where the maturity of life comes into it that you don’t have when your younger.

Why do you say it’s a big risk for you?

Give it another go! Good luck!

Reactions: JWJ