Thought

Simon1992

Reaction score
I was just thinking whilst flicking through the forum,

Di any of you guys aspire to joining the SAS once you get into the Marines, I know you should only take on step at a time, but if I got into the Marines, I think I would, if given the chance, try and join the SAS.

I hear that the Marines have the highest transition rate to the SAS...

Just wondering if anyone else had thought of this?

Simon

M

MTW

its something id like to do, but im not aiming for it its to far away, but thats the route im hopeing to go down, recce troop, ML etc etc as aposed to the technical quals route

Knockton

Reaction score
i think theyve got the highest transition rate into the SBS, SAS is mainly paras.

nd i was hoping to have a crack at the mountain leader thing aswell, some people recognise the ML course as harder than SF selection tho:wacko:

Simon1992

Reaction score
Yea,

whilst in the Marines I think I would like to take mountaineering courses and then go on to teach mountaineering at some point.

I can't believe just how good the Marines is, they offer so much that I guess they don't have to and it benifits you and them, great.

Simon

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Im wanting to go the ML course as well. As I believe its just as respected as the SBS, but from what Ive heard you dont have to move around as much as special forces. However one step at a time.
One of my mates said he wanted to be SBS, was really into special forces, always had a new book on them, he passed out a few months ago and is now with 42 commando, I saw him a little while ago and asked him about it, and he said "*text deleted**text deleted* that, wouldnt want to do more training like that after doing the commando course"

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
SAS nah, SBS possibly, I'd like to be an ML first though.

Knockton

Reaction score
everyone wants to go ML!
probably why its only got a pass rate of like 20%

Babybell

Reaction score
I'd like a stab at the mountain leadering. I doubt I will since of my eyesight. I Havent had my test yet but I should wear glasses for somethings so I wont be able to.

Chances are I cant be a sniper either, let alone SBS/SAS.

Assult engeniere for me I hope!

I think most people more like the IDEA of being a member of the special services and dont always consider what may be asked of them.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Is it still only the Marines that can join SBS or is it open to all forces now????

:rock:

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Is it still only the Marines that can join SBS or is it open to all forces now????

:rock:
All forces now.

I think everyone one would like to join. But realistically it is extremely hard, 90% failure rate. While most guys would like to think they could hack it (me included), they probably couldn't (me included).

I think though the SF is a lot more difficult than the ML course, in different ways. For one the pay in the SAS is better. But the techincal required and to be maintained during training is also very high, a lot of the things I don't think are covered in the ML course.

Luke023

Reaction score
anyone seen the mountain leaders course documentry on discovery channel, thats good for anyone interested in ML very hard course, your basically cold and wet for 9 months.

yes i do watch discovery channel :thefinger: bear grylls:born survivor, that bloke is solid

Simon1992

Reaction score
We never know guys, we may think we wont have what it takes to join the SBS but we don't know what to expect the training to be like, we may have a fitness peak that is huge that we have yet to discover for some reason.

I guess we have aspirations, but after RT we will know out true fitness and make a decision from there.

After all, determination can let you do anything, so if we really really want it when we complete training, we might get it :)

Simon

Ipodbob

Reaction score
my ultimate achievement would be to join the SBS or at least try, but being a marine would be a great enough in it self. I know someone currently doing SBS selection hes on 3 weeks of the pen-y-fan *text deleted*.

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
:amazed: Don't tell everyone, you can excpect to be thrown into the back of a white transit van tomorow at 0400 :worried: :laugh:

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I think everybody has considered it,
I think it would be worth trying after a few years in the marines,
but I wouldn't join up expecting to join,
AACC is f'in solid,
nevermind SF training.

Joe