Three miles in 27 minutes?

S

Sotiris

Considering that you're running a mile every 9 minutes that's not very good. You should be looking at a 6 or 7 minute mile. Really the 3 milers should be just under 20 minutes.

I'm not sure but I wouldn't think the selection for RMR is any different. You should at least be running 1.5 miles in under 10 mins.

Keep running mate, you'll get there.

Chemist

Reaction score
Stanley,
Have a go at timing your 1.5 mile best effort, this will be a better guide for the RMR selection. When they do the 3 mile run the first 1.5 miles is as a squad run, doing a slow pace. Then it's a 1.5 mile individual best effort straight after. If the 1.5 mile best effort bit was over 10 mins it wasn't considered a good score. Fastest guy on my troop did it in 7min 19sec I think.

However that's just the 3 mile run. You'll also do lots of sprints and general running about like a loon while they put you through your paces down the park (assuming you're talking about RMR london here). Plus moving forward from Selection weekend you'll be doing lots and lots of running, so you really need to be a strong runner just to cope. Saying this though everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, we're all different. You'll never know how you'll do until you try. Personally when I was in the Aplha phase my fitness came on leaps and bounds once I'd passed Selection.

Hope thats of some help.

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I’m not sure but I think if you can pass the PJFT you can stay in holding troop until the PTI's think your ready for selection weekend

MI64

Reaction score
Im running three miles in 17.35 mate, Just keep pressing on

stanley

Reaction score
I'm going to aim for the Feb selection as my mile times aren't quite there yet. I ran the Nike 10K on Sunday in a time of 50:39, so I'm heading in the right direction!

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You must have some extremen VO2 max if you can maintain that sort of pace.

Though I've heard of plenty of sports athletes (Rugby and Football) with bleep test scores of 17. One rugby player had something like a VO2 max of 98litres of oxygen a minute, and in off peak season as well.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I ran 3 miles at 5.55 min miles the other day. Was chuffed, then I realised marathon runners are doing 4 minute miles for 26 miles, its insane.

et-adams

Reaction score
As you know, I'm very modest when it comes to phys. Reading these posts I decided to nip out in the rain for a while yesterday and push myself.

I managed 11k, (just under 7miles) in 44.14 minutes. That's 6.22 or so per mile. Who wants to touch me? Mind you, running has been a significant part of my life for several years.

Best way to improve CV threshold is interval training. Find a football pitch, do 20 laps. First ten jogging the lengths and sprinting the widths, second ten sprinting the lengths and jogging the widths. Do it twice or three times a week with at least 36hours rest. Hill sprints are good. Cycling is w*nk, wrong muscle groups. Detrimental if anything.

One needs to vary the training. Bashing out 3miler after 3miler wont help a great deal.

Rob 1984

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Best way to improve CV threshold is interval training. Find a football pitch, do 20 laps. First ten jogging the lengths and sprinting the widths, second ten sprinting the lengths and jogging the widths. Do it twice or three times a week with at least 36hours rest. Hill sprints are good. Cycling is w*nk, wrong muscle groups. Detrimental if anything.

One needs to vary the training. Bashing out 3miler after 3miler wont help a great deal.[/QUOTE]

This sounds pretty good, *text deleted* try it when i finish work.

et-adams

Reaction score
Make sure you *text deleted* yourself. Otherwise it'll all be pointless and you wont have particularly massive gains. Remember, it takes big balls to voluntarily *text deleted* yourself.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Make sure you *text deleted* yourself. Otherwise it'll all be pointless and you wont have particularly massive gains. Remember, it takes big balls to voluntarily *text deleted* yourself.
So so so true. I'm just about to do my HIIT at the gym, and I actually feel scared.

et-adams

Reaction score
I know that feeling SO SO well. Each time I set off for a 1.5miler I get a little nervous. Still, it helps with performance, helps a person get used to tolerating pain AND demonsrates you're training effectively.

Nerves are your friend; embrace them like the tiny inter-racial bitches that they are.