Time away

keycamo

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Is it right that *text deleted* only aloud to be deployed for 6 month out of every 18 month and if so would it be a full 6 month all at once or split up or is it more then 6 month ?

Thanks in advance

Camo

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
The only "limits" on time spent on deployments that I heard of referred to the Afghanistan campaign, which "ended" around 3 to 4 years ago, although individuals may still be deployed there.

British forces used to do a six month tour there in one hit, although there was a period of R & R during that tour, which was spent back in the UK.

Back in the days of the Troubles in NI, units used to do a four month tour there, but some, including 40 Commando, were actually deployed for two years on one occasion.

If you're wishing to join the military, then deployment is what it is.

Alan

robbo09

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Is it right that *text deleted* only aloud to be deployed for 6 month out of every 18 month and if so would it be a full 6 month all at once or split up or is it more then 6 month ?

Thanks in advance

Camo

Some RMR lads have done back to back tours on Herricks before which have certainly been more than 6 months in 18.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Thanks in advance

Camo

Depends entirely on the operational tempo. Your unit, your SQ, funding, requirement, manpower and your luck.

I think I spent 9 months out of 12 out of the UK in several different countries. Just the luck of the draw.

Operational deployments are 4 to 6 months. Exercises could be a matter of weeks to 3 months.

Generally though, they try to rotate because of physical and mental fatigue. Just a factor of the job you have to accept.

I know lads that spent a decade in the Forces and never left the UK. Granted they flew desks with the RAF....

keycamo

Reaction score
That's what I would prefer going away for longer then 6 month on multiple operations it's one of the main reasons why I've signed up I want to see what's going on in the world and help make things abit nicer. Hopefully the RT will cure my home sickness because I know that feeling is coming I've done a lot of working away before and started to get home sick on the 1st day away. Is there any tips for getting over it. Or will it be just better to try and forget that your home sick haha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
That's what I would prefer going away for longer then 6 month on multiple operations it's one of the main reasons why I've signed up I want to see what's going on in the world and help make things abit nicer. Hopefully the RT will cure my home sickness because I know that feeling is coming I've done a lot of working away before and started to get home sick on the 1st day away. Is there any tips for getting over it. Or will it be just better to try and forget that your home sick haha

The more you do it. You more you get used to it. The key is to focus on what your there for and not think about it.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
That's what I would prefer going away for longer then 6 month on multiple operations it's one of the main reasons why I've signed up I want to see what's going on in the world and help make things abit nicer.

Just to make this clear, at the current time there are no large operations going on which the Corps is involved in. Individuals are being deployed, but it's fair to say that these would not be for those who have recently passed out of training.

However, what with everything else that is going on in the world today, never say never.

Alan

keycamo

Reaction score
The more you do it. You more you get used to it. The key is to focus on what your there for and not think about it.
You couldn't have put it better for me mate that makes a lot of s name to me I'm really looking forward to starting RT I'm only at medical stage now but the RT will soon be here I'm getting excited in all honesty
Camo

keycamo

Reaction score
Just to make this clear, at the current time there are no large operations going on which the Corps is involved in. Individuals are being deployed, but it's fair to say that these would not be for those who have recently passed out of training.

However, what with everything else that is going on in the world today, never say never.

Alan
Yea I know what ya saying anything can happen in no time as my life experience up to now has shown me that a lot.

Even if I'm not always deployed providing I actually get to the green lid stage which I'm 100% confident I will, I wouldn't mind staying on camp or in the UK.

I'm already looking way ahead and hoping for the next step to have the opportunity to train for UKSF

New Threads