time in gym?

danny12

Reaction score
How long do you guys spend in the gym at each session??
just would like to know whats too little and too much.
cheers

JSB

Reaction score
Personally I don't do too much in the gym. I focus on cardio and spend 95% of my time on the bike/in the pool/out running, except for the odd circuit and body weight exercises which I do everyday.

If you are going to go to the gym I'm a firm believer in train smarter not harder and I prefer shorter more intense sessions, so less than an hour. However everyone is different and its a bit of trial and error in finding out what volume you can handle.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you do more than an hour, all your "fuel" (cant remeber the scientific word) is used up and training actually starts doing damage.

JSB

Reaction score
you do more than an hour, all your "fuel" (cant remeber the scientific word) is used up and training actually starts doing damage.

Sorry how does that work? If I go for a two hour ride then what happens to me there?

You'll be fine, as long as you are properly hydrated, not over training, have had adequate rest and have fueled yourself correctly.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mine varies. When I go to the gym (I normally train outside/at home) I usually do 30 minutes on the treadmill, 30-45 minutes weight circuit (light weights/lots of reps combined with normal pull ups, press ups and sit ups) and then 30-60 minutes in the pool.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry how does that work? If I go for a two hour ride then what happens to me there?

You'll be fine, as long as you are properly hydrated, not over training, have had adequate rest and have fueled yourself correctly.

ride on what? its all about your body only being able to hold a certain amount of fuel, hence the reason runners hit the "wall" at 40 mins, and constantly training with your body running on fat and muscle tissue isnt good. probably doesnt apply to a two hour bike ride.

JSB

Reaction score
Why would it not apply to a bike ride and only running, your body doesn't know what it is doing, only that it is doing something.

There is no wall at 40 mins, so that is complete rubbish, unless you are a lard arse.

I have deduced from your post that you don't know what your talking about, please do a search into google into the different energy systems that the body uses.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
"there is no wall at 40 mins" ok mate whatever,im not argue about it as your obviously an idiot. i really dont care what you do or dont do to be honest.....

JSB

Reaction score
You contradict yourself and you have no evidence to back up what you say, whereas if you spent one minute researching it on the internet you would find lots to back my points up..

Although I'm guessing you're more concerned not whether you're right but with getting your post count up.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sorry mate your mistaking me for someone who cares.....

encn

Reaction score
Children, Children, calm down!

It's all about available calories: Your body will use up all the sugar/carbs in your blood first, before it starts to burn fat, then finally protein (protein is normally saved for growth/repair, not used as an energy source).

The 'Wall' occurs whenever your blood sugar gets low and you switch to burning fat from burning sugar/carbs, so it depends how many calories worth of sugar/carbs you have in your blood and how hard you're working (how quickly you're burning calories). You tend to hit the wall earlier with running than cycling as you burn calories quicker when running. Exactly when that occurs depends on your blood sugar level (so what you've eaten and wehen) and how hard you're working.

So now you canput all your toys back in your prams can't you!

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Depends what your doing matey, if your doing weights e.t.c. you should be hitting 2 area's of muscle with 2-3 workouts per muscle. A session should last somewhere between 40-60 mins. If your doing cardio on the other hand I'd aim for 30-40 min's at a fairly decent speed around 13-14km/h.

Triceps/Chest
Biceps/Shoulders
Back/Legs

And throw in some AB work in any of the days.

My routine goes a little like -

Monday:

Marine Press Ups: Max, Max, Max. 3 Set's 2 min's per one and make sure you hang there for the full 2 mins.
Sit Up's: 50, 60, 50. - 3 Set's Keep knee's together and fingers on temples. Make sure Elbows touch the top of your knees.
Barbell Bicep Curl: 10, 10, 10. - You pick the weight make sure your going to failure on *text deleted* last set though so you should be getting 10, 10, 9 really. Adjust weight accordingly.
Isolated Barbell Bicep Curl: 10, 10, 10. - 70% of the weight from your Bicep curl above.
Incline Bench press: 10, 10, 10. - Same as bicep curl, should be failing on last set.
4 mile run Aim for 2 miles in 12 mins then 2 miles at 15-16 mins.

Tuesday

Skull Crushers: 12, 12, 12.
Close arm Bench press 12, 12, 12.
Military Press 12, 12, 12.

Wednesday

Press ups: 30, MAX, 30 - Aim for 2 mins on the middle set where *text deleted* going to MAX.
Sit ups: 50, 60, 50.
Alt-Elbow Situps: 20, 20, 20.

Thursday

Over arm Pull up: MAX, MAX, MAX.
Bent Over Row: 12, 12, 12.
Squats: 12, 12, 12.
Deadlift: 10, 10, 10.

Friday

Press ups: 30, MAX, 30 - Aim for 2 mins on the middle set where *text deleted* going to MAX.
Sit ups: 50, 60, 50.

Saturday

Fartlek: 20 mins 'extra phys' your self with sprints push ups, situps e.t.c.

Sunday

Relax

If you need any help just give me a PM buddy.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The 40 minute wall only occurs to weightlifting. Lifting weights makes little tears in your muscles, which then grow back bigger and stronger, the reason people take protein is to make these repair quicker. If you've been lifting weights for 40-50 minutes solid, your muscles will be *text deleted**text deleted*ed and any more will enter a catabolic state which means they're being damaged instead of trained. This is one of many reasons why bodybuilders train different body parts on different days.

rety

Reaction score
i would say it was 45 minutes - 1 hour for weightlifting. and the reason is your body starts to produce the chemical cortisol, which decreases amino acid uptake by muscle, and inhibits protein synthesis.

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I spend about 2 hours in the gym, 5 days a week: one hour of bodyweight exercises and machines, another hour of cardio.

Taylor.S

Reaction score
6 hours in the gym a week, 3 hours running/swimming/riding a week, :) works good for me get enough rest

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Every day of the week, 30 minutes weights, then at least 1.5mile on treadmill (3mile twice a week) then 30 lengths of the pool, and then to my girlfriends house for some more exercise ;)

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Usually about two, or two and a half hours depending. :S

Usually my weight session, then depending, 60 minutes cardio (Running, cycling, rowing).

New Threads