Timeline

Simon1992

Reaction score
Hey,

I thought I would try and do something motivational for people to get them outside running when maybe they don't want to because they don't 'see' the point, so what I came up with was to make a diary of my journey getting for for the Royal Marines.

Ok so starting to today.

21'st July - At about 9.00am I went out on my 30 minute run, know I havn't ran in a long time so I thought I might struggle but using the techniques I have gained from reading some posts on this website I found it a little easier to complete :). So, at about the 2 mile mark I have to stop due to a stich, probably about a 3 minute break then i 'struggled' ish on back for the last mile and found that considering I hadn't ran in a long time this was a good first atempt! so people, don't think, oh I wont be able to do that, 1. it's the wrong attitude and 2. you will be suprised the punishment your body can take if you just keep moving.

Ok so that was me for most of the day, then at about 8.00 I started my muscle workout, didn't take to long but was circuit training and alls I can say is, wow circuit training is great! For example, one exercise was pull ups, in the first circuit round I did 1, it was hard! second time round, 3! it was hard, 3rd time wrong, 1 it was easy! it shows you that with a little effort you body can adapt once its used to more punishment than its about to recieve.

So, I will keep updating this post, and get outside! blistering heat or hell winds!

Good Luck
Simon

S

Sotiris

Hehe it's all very well and good to talk about blistering heat when you're in England. It's 38 degrees here in Athens!! Went for a run 2 hours ago and I must have lost about a kilo in sweat! Heat training is a bitch! I was born and bred in Dubai and temperatures used to reach 45...that reeeeally sucked.

Tip: try and do a circuit after your run while your heart rate is still up. It's good for the soul hehe.

Simon1992

Reaction score
good point about the heat *text deleted*!

Im usually dead on my feet after my run so i just walk around for a while and then lie on the grass *text deleted* for about 10mins to recoup.

I will try your tip :) thanks :)

Simon

M

MTW

after the PRMC you will be surprised how far you can push yourself, its really surprising no matter how fit you are.

Simon1992

Reaction score
im really looking forward to looking at myself a month from now to see how far i have come!

thats my motivation really.
Simon

Ipodbob

Reaction score
I look at when i started training for the RM, i couldnt run a mile without stopping and was slowwww as a snail. Used to manage 1 chin up, 10 press ups max, 20 sit ups max and hated swimming. All has change look at my sig below what a difference 3 months does.

Remember we will be Royal Marine Commando's all it takes is time.

smallzy

Reaction score
I look at when i started training for the RM, i couldnt run a mile without stopping and was slowwww as a snail. Used to manage 1 chin up, 10 press ups max, 20 sit ups max and hated swimming. All has change look at my sig below what a difference 3 months does.

Remember we will be Royal Marine Commando's all it takes is time.

it's near impossible to make that much of an improvement in 3 months

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Here in australia we are in the middle of winter and during the day(in newcastle anyway just north of sydney) it is about 18-22 degrees. it cracks me up when you guys say its hot over there in the uk. when everyone over here is wearing jumpers and the like. when i go back to the uk ina couple weeks everyone is going to complain about the heat on my prmc and i will proberly need to put a jumper on :laugh:

dont tell me its hot until its over 30 then dont tell me its f___king hot until its over 40 or 45.

Tom

Ipodbob

Reaction score
Try working in heavy chain saw trousers in 25 degree heat, feels like working wrapped in a quilt. My legs are dripping at the end of the day :kult:

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
By no means was i implying that you dont work hard(altho you are english :laugh: ) but 25 is not hot, so please dont call it heat :)

Goodluck with training

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
well it is heat, otherwise the temp would be zero degrees kelvin...

Simon1992

Reaction score
*text deleted* tucker what a statement hahahaha.

So yea finished todays workout and here is my entry!

So I got up at 8.00am again, but took me 2 hours to motivate to get myself outside!

So I got out at 10am and whilst running was thinking what I should do in the Marines, and ive decided that seeing as I will be doing my a-levels im going to try and go in as an officer, mainly because I feel I have a way of connecting with people andd getting them to do stuff they wouldn't usually.. in a good way.

So I did a 45min run today, 5.5 miles, I was so pleased. After going down a slope I decided to burn myself out with about a 100m sprint this was after about 35 mins running but maybe I shouldn't of, once I got back to jogging speed I had to stop and nearly threw up, but it was worth it.

My keys then fell out my pocket but the funny thing was, I thought to myself, imagine if my keys fell out my pocket, I got home and they were gone, well thats what I get I suppse.

Also whilst running, because I live on the coast, and near an airbase, we have lifeguard choppers training, so that was a nice site to see them doing manouvers whilst running.

So after my running, and getting blisters on my feet at about 8pm I started my circuit, a little harder today, not as easy but I completed it. I havn't the upper body strenght at all but im working on it. Well it's my rest day tomorrow so im looking forward to that.

I think I beasted myself on my running a little to much today, but why not, I will only get beasted eventually!

Thanks for the interest guys
Simon

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
cool stuff, i aint done any 30 minute endurance runs ive just done a set distance with a time to beat, so i shall do soewm of that 30 minute endurance stuff.

Simon1992

Reaction score
Hello Mack,

Yea I stuggled doing a 30minute run on monday, and I didn't 'struggle' with a stich this time, so even after that 30minute run, it improved my CV.

Simon

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i heard it is good to do 1 hour runs for building stamina so im going to start doing one at least once a week, doing it tommorow ill tell uz if its good

Simon1992

Reaction score
Good Spartan,

I think two tips I can give you for doing stamina training is to control your breathing, I breath out on on foot land and then the oppoisite foot and this usually allows me to keep going. Also depending on how fit you are, if you feel a stich coming changing your breathing and really breath hard and loud on the side of the stitch, then return to normal.

Good Luck
Simon

Simon1992

Reaction score
So today is my day off.

Hopefully tomorrow when im going again I will see the improvements from these last two days, hopefully in my CV and my pushups as I think everything is linked to them.

I am quite stiff today only in my legs and my hip, I think maybe I pushed myself to hard on yesterdays run but this might just be because my body isn't used to this distance running.

erm, yea I have been thinking more about undetaking the officer course than the Commando course and just can't make my mind up, im not sure whether I could be as good as the job as I think I could.....

So im just looking forward to a month from now when I can look at myself and see how far I have come with my fitness, motivation and mind.

Again thanks for making this post a 'hot topic' : D
Simon

Simon1992

Reaction score
Well ive just completed todays workout, but today really did hurt, especially the running even after my rest day.

So I was out running at 9:30 and did 45mins and completed about 6 miles. The only thing was I read the program wrong, I was only supposed to to 30mins so that may of been why it was really hard, anyway I will just have to to 30mins tomorrow.

And the heat today played a big factor, I had a big glass of water before I came out because I knew the weather being the way it was the I would easily dehydrate and good job I did have one. I incorportate a hill in my run and with the heat this was made especially hard but im so happy, I didn't get a stich although I did feel like I wanted to throw up at one point, again.

I guess that has improved my 'commando state of mind' as I was able to keep running even though I could so easily of just fell to the floor.

So that was my run, overall pleased and I think I can see a little difference in my CV even at this point.

So my circuit, I found my press ups a fraction easier, but the leg exercises hurt as I have never really worked my legs before apart from running, so with doing these exercises and running, my legs are feeling it.

I felt that my pull ups have improved as well, the 3 that I do in the middle circuit were not as hard today, although they were a challenge and so I am please about that.

Also I feel my abs are coming along as this is tied in with my running and so I am looking forward to see my tum develop.

So that was my workout today, overall pleased, especially as I managed to complete my run in really sticky weather.

I still need to improve my eating, I am not eating really healthy but I need to motivate myself to do so, anyone in a similar situation? If so and have conquered it, did you see benifits and how fast?

Thanks
Simon

karatydude123

Reaction score
really good diaries *text deleted* ,if you think 20-25 degress insen't hot your mental!when its under 10 its cold... *text deleted*

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
mate nything under 15 is cold for the day time and anything under 5 is cold for the night.

I spent all of winter in manchester and froze my arse off. minus 10-15 too *text deleted**text deleted*ing cold for this aussie.

So i guess you have me beat with the cold :doh: