Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Tips for keeping awake

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by MEfan19, Dec 7, 2019.

1. MEfan19

MEfan19 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Was wondering does anyone have any tips and tricks to stay awake when sleep deprived. I feel there's nothing to stop me from falling asleep in my bivvy bag on ex when I should be cleaning my rifle. Too many times have I woke up and be horrified to find it's time to get up and I'm covered in very not clean weapon parts.

Also falling asleep standing up for inspection obviously doesn't end well, be it before drill or morning inspection.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Are you actually in recruit training at present?

3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to echo Ninja's question, are you in Phase 1 of RT?

A couple of observations rather than advice from me. Sleep deprivation affects performance. This is a basic fact and it is never a comfy experience. Up to a point, depending on the individual, it is possible to become accustomed to it. This does not mean that one develops a resistance to it although it might feel that way.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Advocado

Advocado Royal Marines Commando

If you are currently in training, then when you recieve your next RRT, highlight the issue to your section commander and he will advise. Your training team, believe it or not, are there to help you.

PRMC is for selecting individuals out.

Recruit training is for training people in.

With the exception of the people who do not show the commando values or commando qualities. One of which that is definitely relatable to your issue is self-discipline.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Time management skills coupled with good personal admin can very much help you gain lengthier sleeps but the bottom line is everyone in the troop has to be equally adept or sleep only comes at the pace of the last man to crack his admin.

The pivotal issue is you need to be team players and if the troop isn't fully cohesive or ostracises rather helps the admin duffers, then sleep doesn't come readily.

If yet to join, make sure you are fully familiar & experienced in washing and ironing your clothes to a high standard - and swiftly before you start recruit training. Likewise learn map & compass navigation techniques (on paper & outdoors) so that it comes naturally.

Always service your kit before bed, not in the morning. Etc., Etc.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  6. MEfan19

MEfan19 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah I just finished Ex Martial Star and just kept falling asleep when in the middle of or about to clean my rifle and mags during sentry hours.

I feel more accustomed to sleep deprivation but I'm kind of looking for some little trick that might keep me awake it least for longer and keep me off the flank...or falling down face first prior to a drill period

Thanks for the input anyway. I'll try and apply it

7. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

Your not the first mate, when I was in training some lads got these horrendous smelling salts which the training team found hilarious but were actually impressed.

@Advocado is absolutely right, your section commander has got bags of experience and he’s in the role he is for a reason.

8. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

No magic trick. Just comes down to self discipline I guess. I know it's hard to believe but you you will find things get worse and harder in phase 2 so accept it mentally and get psyched up for it.

I remember specifically on my final ex we went from target to target conducting either recces or assaults etc. Didn't sleep for the first 3 days. That's before cracking bigger troop level attacks and longer yomps etc. Just comes down to your discipline and determination but believe me, we've all been there. If we can hack it, you can too

9. pacessdo

pacessdo Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Use hot sauce from ration packs. When you feel sleepy, have a lick of it

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. Geespt

Geespt Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    To help i’d use the cold, conduct your admin outside of your bag, but under your poncho. You’ll find it harder to sleep while you’re cold. (Obviously don’t get too cold and start going down though)

Alternatively sipping on water while doing admin will also help keep you awake and well hydrated.

11. MEfan19

MEfan19 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Didn't think to use the hot sauce for that. Thanks a bunch gents. Those are actually really good tips. Hopefully they'll save me a few goosings

12. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

Having never experienced that level of sleep debt myself, can someone describe it please? Headaches? Nausea? Worse?

13. Rob20

Imagine pure darkness. Then BOOM! A flash of light as you come to after sitting back on the guy in the rank behind you whilst standing in 3 ranks outside the armoury at CTC.

Not me, a mate. Gen o_O

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

When it’s really bad you can hallucinate. I remember thinking on patrol Thinking I was in crash bandicoot.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Appreciate it's an 'Uncle Albert dit' but during the Falklands conflict, I found after digging out blind for 48 hours solid (damage control, fire-fighting, etc) when I finally did get chance to sleep, completely running on adrenaline & fear...I genuinely couldn't sleep, but found myself hallucinating and having an 'out of body experience'. Weird stuff.

I never found a cure for it besides finding that not getting attacked and bombed by aircraft for a few hours taught me how to power nap. Even if only for half an hour, you woke refreshed.

Hope that helps? :D

• Like Like x 4
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Echoing the above. Sneaking even five minutes' shut eye helps. Sleep management. Exploit every sleep opportunity.

Don't overthink it though. The military experience can easily be replicated by having a newborn child in one's house.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Harry McRunFast

I am childless thankfully. Although I’m sure the stress of a newborn and military training are not too dissimilar!

All sounds like a hoofin good time, chaps! Can’t say I’m looking forward to potentially hallucinating, but I’m sure it’s all made a bit less unpleasant working as a team, being in the same boat... commando spirit etc!

18. Rob20

Ha hallucinating. Yep, also got called something not very nice in training. Took a knee as last man convinced there was another lad on a knee on the side of the track. Didn't think it was possible

19. Harry McRunFast

Do the TT sleep as little as the recruits whilst on exercise?

20. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

It’s a tough job being on a training team. But they will get a bit more sleep, if I remember rightly every few hours a one or two of them would come creeping up on you to try and catch lads in the chin hammock on sentry or see if they left anything loafing. If so, the harbour would get stood too and there would be some repercussions.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1