Tips for pull ups

Mr T

Reaction score
There has been quite a few threads recently on this forum and other military fitness forums about how to do and increase the possible reps of their pull ups marine style.

Just a few quick tips for those who wanted to know, (as I used to be an amateur bodybuilder before my goals changed).

Alot of guys seem to think that only being able to do 2 pull ups is terrible, actually this is fine.

do 10 sets (or less if needs be) of 2 pull ups.
then next time try and see if your max reps hav increased, if so then do 8 sets of your new max.
then increse the reps and decrease the sets accordingly.

If you cannot do any or struggle to get 2, then there are two options.
If you are a member of a gym then use a pull up assist machine, which take some of the weight for you, or alternatly use the lat pull down machine and use a decent weight.

another option is to do negative pull ups. This is where some one/thing you can get hold of helps you by taking some of your weight on the pull up, then leaves you to SLOWLY release your own weight and lower yourself down in a controlled manner.

Any questions about the bodyweight exercises or routines are welcome!! anything else that needs to be added just let me know!

Luke

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the tips, I for one struggle with pull ups. I will give your advice a go though.

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah nice one for that mate. I used to be only able to do 2 and I thought I was weak as piss, but now luckily ive improved and now I can manage 3 (4 if im lucky)

I think Ill try that programe.